Kitten Feeding

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an 8 week old kitty that has been eating commercial brands until yesterday.

I'm in Europe and got the "TCXPremixPlus chicken liver" from the German site to try out to see if my kitty will eat it before getting all the supplements and creating my on. It is kitten approved.

I bought chicken legs and cut off the thighs and filleted them, while chopping the meat in pieces my girl was crawling up my leg in a very eagerly fashion. I cut up some small pieces of thigh meat while preparing the mix and gave it to her, she ate it without hesitation and loved it.

Today I gave her the chicken meat with the mix added, and again she ate it without problems.

Now, I read how kittens will regulate what they eat.

First of all, it's very hot over here around 40°C or 104 F
Secondly she has eaten quite a lot of the raw food today, she usually stops eating and remains fairly active, now she has eaten a good amount of raw food, I might have given a bit much
her stomach-belly felt / feels a lot bigger than usual, and she has taken more time after the meal to rest and use her energy for the digesting. She also opened her mouth a bit in a weird way kind of like a dog would do and panted a bit right after eating so much, but not for long. I mean she shows all the signs I do after overeating, especially at these temperatures. After her napping she regained energy and playfulness, but I can still see she's digesting.

I'm having a hard time finding guidelines for how much a kitten should it, I thought it would self-regulate as she has always done til now, but seeing her behavior I'm thinking about controlling her portions a bit, although I have no idea where to start.

Anyway that has raw feed his/her kitten and how did you go about it, especially how much and how regularly?

Also, I made a medium batch with 500g of meat and put some of the mix the freezer and some in the fridge.

I wondered for how many days can I keep stock in the fridge and keep the meat safe?
(I guess fridge temp might be a factor as well)
One day, two days, three days?

I thank you for taking your time to read my post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

I did some research and that's not my main concern atm,
it seems she's panting and breathing heavily and rapidly quite often, even waking up while she's sleeping, so I'll be in touch with my vet tomorrow. (It's 1AM here now)

I don't think it's anything raw feeding related though, so apologies for the off-topic / wrong thread

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just feed the kitten as much food as she will eat:) Some kittens can eat as much as 8 oz (226 grams) or more of food a day. You can supplement with canned food if needed, especially for small meals when you are not home to give raw. Canned food can be left out for a couple of hours whereas with raw you don't want to leave it out for more than half an hour or so.

The raw mixture can keep in the fridge for about 2 days. Keep the rest of the batch in the freezer and take out as needed. I assume you have your raw portioned out into daily portions.

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I put most my batches in the freezer and have my daily portions for 2 days in the fridge. She's loving it, licks her plate clean until the last drop as well

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!