Kitten dry heaving, loss of appetite and very lathargic

tiggycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

9 week old male, first vaccination last week, has beem lethargic and reluctant to eat, we took him to be the vets and said was probably a mild reaction to the vaccination as he was a farm cat, and gave him 2 injections of antibiotics (6 days ago). Since then he has ran about 2 times, wont play with any toys, still reluctant to eat and (what I feel) is rapid breathing.
He's alert and has dry heaved twice today and once yesterday and I can hear a little wheaze
I have noticed him eating 3 blades of grass, but hasn't had the energy to reach the grass since.

This is him sitting on my lap while im typing this :lol3:
He sleeps in a shed with the door closed and i wonder if locking him in there is adding to his stress.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten looks so sweet, and it doesn't sound right at all that he is so quiet and reluctant to eat.  Kittens around 9 or 10 weeks are usually bouncing off walls and playing constantly as their stamina is starting to build up.   Have you called the vet back to tell them that he is still subdued, and described the breathing to them?

It could be something else purely as a coincidence, or triggered by stress from the vet visit or other changes in his young life, and definitely best to talk with your vet about him as he is still pretty young.

I hope you see him happy and running around again very soon.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet and it turns out he has fluid in his lungs, he's dehydrated and so the decided to keep him in over night on a drip and keep him in an oxygen 'bubble'

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, the poor little guy.   I am so glad you managed to get him along to the vet.

Loads of positive vibes coming your way that your kitten's health improves with the over night vet care and you see him running around and being a playful kitten taking over your home again really soon.