Kitten doesn't clean himself right after peeing

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My kitten Neko is now 7 months old. He is a short hair male kitty. Every time he comes out of the litter box, he doesn't lick his bottom right away. He usually walks and sits around a bit, then finds a spot and start cleaning. About a week ago, I started noticing that he would leave a small wet (urine) spot/stain on the floor from the wet fur (before he cleans himself). I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, or maybe because his hair is getting denser and longer so there are more wet fur? He is my first cat, so I have no other cat to compare to. Is this something I can train him so that he cleans himself right away, or is it a pretty typical behavior and there isn't much to do about it?

Thanks!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats(2 males and 1 female) immediately groom themselves post-pee. Then again, I've never noticed any little urine spots, either. You're sure that it's pee that's left on his fur and not dribbling from him?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is fairly typical cat behavior. They naturally want to get away from the potty spot because it is a vulnerable position so if any grooming is called for they will go a little away. The getting some on his fur part might get better with time but it might not (my 5 year old will occasionally get some on a paw or even misses the box). You can try putting a mat you know he likes in the area he usually goes so he has a cleaning spot that is also easy for you to clean but cats aren't always cooperative when it comes to the plans of their humans.

I would question if he is always leaving spots because it might be leakage. You might want to bring it up at a vet appointment to get a professional opinion on it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
About a week ago, I started noticing that he would leave a small wet (urine) spot/stain on the floor from the wet fur (before he cleans himself). I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, or maybe because his hair is getting denser and longer so there are more wet fur?
Putting health issues aside, it is pretty normal and likely that the pee puddle got into his fur.

My boy gets it most of the time as he pees lots and pee will drip as he leaves the litter box and at those times that he held his pee for too long, he even gets one of his hind leg soaked ankle deep in pee and definitely his private part area will be soaked too. So I will catch him and clean up his leg and private parts and of course he'll then clean himself after that.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s also possible that the litter you’re using doesn’t absorb the liquid fast enough and he gets wet from stepping on/touching with fur the wet pool in the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow thanks for all the replies! I'm 99% sure it's from his fur because I tried to hold him once right after he uses litterbox, and my hand felt wet fur on his bottom. I also noticed he seems to squat down a bit lower these days, like almost touching the litter, and his hair is getting denser and longer. Sigh I guess I will just start wiping after him 😂