Kitten Does Not Cover His Poop

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten digs up a hole in the littler box perfectly well, but he does not cover his poop. However, he tries to but his paws go on the edges of the box even though the box is big for him and he can easily use the space to cover everything up. How can I make him learn how to cover his wastes properly?

Last edited:

Isidora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried changing the type of litter? Some brands may be too harsh for his little paws.

Also, if he's a dominant cat, he will not cover his poop, since he's marking his territory. I don't know if there's much you can do here.

The last possiblity that comes to my mind is that your kitten is still very small and his mom covered it for him. In this case, you'll have to do it. I believe you can show him how to do it if you take him back to the box when he's done and swipe his paws to cover the poop; you should always give him a treat after this, and hopefully, he'll learn fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried changing the type of litter? Some brands may be too harsh for his little paws.

Also, if he's a dominant cat, he will not cover his poop, since he's marking his territory. I don't know if there's much you can do here.

The last possiblity that comes to my mind is that your kitten is still very small and his mom covered it for him. In this case, you'll have to do it. I believe you can show him how to do it if you take him back to the box when he's done and swipe his paws to cover the poop; you should always give him a treat after this, and hopefully, he'll learn fast.
Thank you for the reply. I did change the type of litter, but the problem persisted. I will try to show him how to do it as you suggested.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think some cats just dont. One of mine constantly tries to bury any food that is left behind but she will not cover her poop. Luckily one of my other cats does it for her.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4 yr old Maine Coon, Tails, stopped covering his poop when we got our 2yr old Comet. Our 2 girls, including 16 month old Misha, cover their poop, but Tails doesn't. I don't like it but the box gets cleaned out every day so it's not that big a deal, I guess.