Kitten Diarrhea

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so 2 weeks ago I rescued 2 approximately 4 week old kittens that had been abandoned by their mother mother and left in my yard. From the beginning, the gray kitten (rascal) did not want to eat on his own and he had diarrhea. I had to force feed him KMR and give him nutrical every day. I initially took them to the vet two days after i brought them in and they were pronounced healthy, although tiny for their age. I took Rascal back the next day because of the diarrhea issue and the fact that he wouldn't eat. They did not do a fecal, just gave me propectalin and eye ointment because he had goopy eyes. This whole time, his brother Scooter had been eating fine and had no issues with diarrhea. Rascal did not improve over the weekend, so I took him back to the vet the following monday and they finally did a fecal exam and could not find any parasites. They gave me panacur just in case and gave him a steroid shot with antibiotics to pique his appetite, and it helped for a couple of days. I took him back this past friday because he wouldn't eat at all and his body temp was 95. They got it up to 99, gave him fluids and a feeding tube and the vet said he was improving. Two hours later, he crashed and passed away, the vet could not give me a reason, but that it might have been distemper (but later said there was no evidence of this). I should add at this point that both kittens were only about 11 ounces, so I had been bathing them daily to try to keep the fleas down. I took Scooter in to the vet on this past Friday to get him checked out, and I took a fecal sample because he began to have runny poo. They found no parasites, gave him a capstar to help with the fleas and instructed me to go ahead and give him panacur.

He has never had any problems eating, but yesterday and today he started out great - eating and playing and being super energetic...then about the afternoon he starts having horrible diarrhea and becomes very lethargic and doesn't want to eat...I am at my wit's end, I have been giving him pro-pectalin in the hopes that it will help, and i am only offering one kind of food so as not to upset his tummy, but I just don't know what to do. The vet says it's got to be fleas causing the problems, but he doesn't have any more fleas. I am trying to keep him hydrated with pedialyte, but he fights me. I'm so scared I'm gonna lose him, and I don't know whether to take him back to the vet tomorrow, or what. I feel like they are just going to tell me they don't know what could be wrong. I'm so frustrated. Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Like I said, he is great in the morning, great appetite and frisky, but once he starts having his bowel movements, he gets worse. He had one very watery slightly bloody poo early this morning, and since then they have all been light brown and a pudding like consistency. Any ideas?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought was worms, but you said he's on Panacur. Is he still on this?
You might try probiotics. This will put back the good bacteria. I would also try a bland diet for a while. Boiled chicken and rice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is on his 4th day of panacur, and I am giving him pro pectalin as well (which he hates) i will try the chicken and rice, thank you!

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding him the fancy feast kitten food that is tender turkey feast, i had given him some of the fancy feast ocean whitefish kitten food yesterday morning and i thought that might be the issue, so i haven't given him any more. I have also offered purina kitten chow, but he's not too into it. I should also add that I've been giving the turkey fancy feast the entire time he's been with me, and he hasn't had diarrhea until yesterday

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try soaking the kitten chow in chicken broth (unsalted). If he'll eat this, feed only this for a few days and see if the diarrhea clears up.

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you! I will try that

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to throw away any un-eaten food or you will have major bacterial problems.

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I have been just offering him little bits and taking away what he doesn't eat. I'm just so sad and frustrated with this whole situation. :-(

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he had goopy eyes, did the vet test for a URI or put him on any anti-biotic other than the shot?

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This one is the one that didn't have goopy eyes, they did no test for URI and he hasn't had any antibiotics. The one that had all that passed away :-( this is the "healthy" kitten. And I asked the vet about coccidiosis, but he shrugged it off and said they didn't find anything in his poo. I have to work tomorrow, so my husband is going to take him in to the vet again and I will tell him to ask about Albon. I love my vet, but at times I feel like they write off kittens...I have been through a similar situation in the past..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many vets are sadly inexperienced with kittens. :(

He should insist on the Albon. It won't hurt and will hopefully help.

Keep the kitten hydrated and eating in the meantime.

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been giving him pedialyte and he is drinking water, I offered some plain adult friskies pate until I can get him some more bland food and he ate some of that. I will definitely have my hubby insist on the Albon, I have had a feeling it was something related to coccidia, I wish my vet had listened to me, it could have saved the other kitten's life. :-( it breaks my heart, I have already grown so attached.

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And thank you so much for your help Sarthur2 and kashmir64. I really appreciate it! I'll do anything to get this guy healthy again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I completely understand. Let us know how things are tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S Sarahsaurus

Also, try Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food. It's high protein, smells great, is easy to digest, and easy to lap. Kitten may go for it. :)

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some beech nut turkey baby food, it's just turkey and broth, I will try that now he's acting hungry! :-)