Kitten Diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He licked at it, but didn't seem super interested. I'll try it again later, maybe he will be more enthusiastic.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he shrugged it off and said they didn't find anything in his poo
Of course he didn't. It takes multiple fecal samples on different days for either Coccidia or Girardia to show it's ugly face.
Albon will take care of Coccidia, Panacur and antibiotics will take care of Giardia.

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, I'm hoping they figure something out tomorrow. My mom offered to go with my hubby and exert her will on the vet, so I'm hopeful!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually, Albon will inhibit coccidia until the kitten's immune system is strong enough to suppress it on its own.

Ponazuril will kill coccidia within 3 doses, but vets usually use it for horses.

Panacur kills giardia.

Albon kills bacteria in the gastro-intestinal tract.

The vet won't necessarily find coccidia or giardia in fecals. There are specific tests for it if the vet sends it out. It's easier just to treat for it in case it's undetected.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, Albon will inhibit coccidia until the kitten's immune system is strong enough to suppress it on its own.

Ponazuril will kill coccidia within 3 doses, but vets usually use it for horses.

Panacur kills giardia.

Albon kills bacteria in the gastro-intestinal tract.

The vet won't necessarily find coccidia or giardia in fecals. There are specific tests for it if the vet sends it out. It's easier just to treat for it in case it's undetected.
Absolutely correct. I just wasn't thinking when I typed it. Thank you

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, bad news. He has distemper. They finally tested for it today. He is still eating and drinking, so they gave us some antibiotics for him, but they told my husband the outlook isn't good. So now I am heartbroken and I don't know whether to put him through the pain of prolonging it...I don't want him to suffer, but I want to give him a chance. I'm so upset that they didn't test for this when I first brought them in. Luckily all of my other cats have been vaccinated, but I'm terrified that they are going to catch it. My husband is in the process of cleaning all the areas where they were and trying to disinfect. I ordered some disinfectant that is used in kennels but it won't be here for two days. I am so scared. I have him isolated in my room and I am just trying to keep him comfortable and give him love.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, and it's not always a death sentence. Take a deep breath and take it one step/one day at a time.

Hoping the antibiotics help him.

Since your cats are vaccinated they should be okay.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want a really good disinfectant, use a 10% ammonia mixture. Just make sure the cats can't get to the area until it's been well ventilated. And never combine ammonia and bleach or you will die. (makes mustard gas)

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to just do the best I can to make him comfy and see if I can get him through it. Luckily today he has only had one bout of diarrhea, so I am hoping that trend continues.
I don't know much about feline distemper, but the kittens have been inside for almost 2 weeks and Scooter didn't start showing symptoms of having anything until late this past Saturday. Is there an incubation time? From what I have read, the disease kills quickly...I'm trying to stay positive. Thank you guys for being supportive! I have made sure to disinfect everything and he is comfy and isolated in my room. I'm hoping that somehow, the vet was wrong and the test was wrong and he just had a case of coccidiosis. I will keep y'all posted <3

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes the tests will show a false positive when kittens are younger than 6 months because they carry the mom's antibodies.

Sarahsaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, just a real quick update. I'm not a vet, I know very little about distemper, but I don't think my Scooter has it. Thank you for the article on false positives! As of right now, he is playing like crazy, eating like it's going out of style and has had no diarrhea. I really believe he must have had coccidiosis or giardia because the vet prescribed Albon and Metronidazole (for any secondary infections, he said) and he has had no issues with bowel movements. I really want to thank everyone here for the positivity, yesterday I was afraid to hope and I was sure I was going to have to make a very tough decision in the coming days. My vet even told my husband that the outlook was not good. I was preparing to either bury a kitten this morning or drive him to the vet to save him from suffering. Now the little guy keeps trying to kill and eat my fingers. I am glad of the outcome, but I am upset about what we had to go through over the past two weeks, and I'm even more upset about losing the other kitten. But at the moment I'm just trying to look forward and love the baby I still have. Thank you all for your help and positivity!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness he is better! I think he had parasites too and the medicine has done its job.

I'm sorry for what you've been through as well. I wish these vets were more knowledgable and not so quick to pronounce their prognoses.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that he is feeling better.
Keep in mind though, Coccidia can re-infect. So be sure to follow the sterilization procedures. If it was Coccidia, only ammonia will kill it, other cleaners are no good.
except super hot water, so was his blankets in HOT soapy water.