Kitten Constantly Shaking Her Head?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So being having this problem with my 10 month old kitten for a few weeks and I can't find a solution.

So my kitten has being shaking her head for at least 70+ times a day. First time I took her into the vet, they found a lot of gunk in her ears, they cleaned it out, and then gave me something to put in her ear once a day. Did that and after two weeks it was still a problem.

So I went back a week ago and they examined it and this time they did a Cytology of her inside of her ears and weren't able to find anything really. They flushed her ear then with some water.

Exam Notes:
"Scant brown discharge in the left ear, tympanum appears normal. Light tan oily discharge in the right ear horizontal canal. No apparant inflammation to the right ear. Unable to visualize right tympanum."

Assessment:
"Ear discharge: DDX infection (parasitic, bacterial, yeast) vs debris"

Medications:
"Glycozoo ear cleanser: Saturate a cotton ball with ear cleanser. Insert gently into the ear canal and massage the canal. Remove the cotton and gently wipe away excess liquid and debris. Repeat as needed to clean the visible ear canal. Clean ears daily until recheck."

It's already being a week and she doesn't show any sign of improvement, and I'm a bit worried that she is licking a bit of the Glycozoo from wetting her paw and then rubbing it on her ear. Like so:
Any thoughts?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When is her recheck? Glycozoo is just a general cleansing agent, from what I was able to find. It really doesn't treat anything specific. Since there were apparently no mites (did they examine the discharge under a microscope for them?), that leaves some sort of infection, either bacterial or yeast, either of which would cause the violent head shaking.

Now, I imagine that the purpose of the Glycozoo was to rule out that it was debris, and that further investigation will happen on the recheck. But if it doesn't, then consider getting a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When is her recheck? Glycozoo is just a general cleansing agent, from what I was able to find. It really doesn't treat anything specific. Since there were apparently no mites (did they examine the discharge under a microscope for them?), that leaves some sort of infection, either bacterial or yeast, either of which would cause the violent head shaking.

Now, I imagine that the purpose of the Glycozoo was to rule out that it was debris, and that further investigation will happen on the recheck. But if it doesn't, then consider getting a second opinion.
Recheck is in 8 days. Yeah I believe the Cytology exam was the microscope exam.

She didn't have an infection from what they could see.

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So being having this problem with my 10 month old kitten for a few weeks and I can't find a solution.

So my kitten has being shaking her head for at least 70+ times a day. First time I took her into the vet, they found a lot of gunk in her ears, they cleaned it out, and then gave me something to put in her ear once a day. Did that and after two weeks it was still a problem.

So I went back a week ago and they examined it and this time they did a Cytology of her inside of her ears and weren't able to find anything really. They flushed her ear then with some water.

Exam Notes:
"Scant brown discharge in the left ear, tympanum appears normal. Light tan oily discharge in the right ear horizontal canal. No apparant inflammation to the right ear. Unable to visualize right tympanum."

Assessment:
"Ear discharge: DDX infection (parasitic, bacterial, yeast) vs debris"

Medications:
"Glycozoo ear cleanser: Saturate a cotton ball with ear cleanser. Insert gently into the ear canal and massage the canal. Remove the cotton and gently wipe away excess liquid and debris. Repeat as needed to clean the visible ear canal. Clean ears daily until recheck."

It's already being a week and she doesn't show any sign of improvement, and I'm a bit worried that she is licking a bit of the Glycozoo from wetting her paw and then rubbing it on her ear. Like so:
Any thoughts?
Hi--Just wondering if you ever found out what was going on? My cat has been shaking her head too and the problem doesn't seem to be going away.