Kitten chasing older cat and pooping behind sofa?

Beccamorris96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, advise needed for our new kitten!

We adopted a kitten at the end of January, and since adopting him he has had runny poos which has more recently started to become a mix of behavioural issues also. For context, We have a 12 year old female rescue cat that has been with us 11 years.

We do not know much about his previous life before us, he is 5 months old and we will already be his 4th home (inc. breeder).
When we got him we kept him isolated in a room with litter tray, food and water. For around one week, before we slowly started to introduce the two cats together, as both spent time expressing an interest into the stranger on the other side of the wooden door. It seemed to be going quite well, our older cat not phased and our kitten being playful but wary.

Around 2 weeks in, we noticed him starting to poop around the litter tray and then later behind the sofa. Something we are still trying to resolve. Since this began to happen, he has started chasing our older cat and she is running away often hissing. She seems to feel intimidated, but she is a very shy cat anyway that would rather seek quiet. They haven't had a proper fight, but we are trying to establish why this is happening, is it normal while they get used to each other. Is it just him being a cheeky kitten?

He has been to the vets several times, for his vaccinations and then 3 times to try and sort out his upset tummy. We have had no luck, been wormed twice and on other meds. Including trying a chicken and rice diet. His stool has fresh red blood and mucus in it, vet aware and we are back again next week. And will take stool samples if no better currently in a medicine for ulcers.

We have never introduced cats to cats before and wondered whether this sounds stress related or if he is sick. Or if this is normal?

If it's behavioural, what do we do next. Should we separate the two cats again and try to reintroduce? The kitten hates being kept in one room, and we don't want to neglect our older cat!

Any advise would be great as we are getting worried and stressed ourselves!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beccamorris96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We also use the feliway diffusers, started with feliway friends now on feliway optimum!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot really answer your question but I can tell you that I have a female cat that gets bullied and sometimes there is blood in her stool. From articles I’ve read stress can cause that. A stool sample sill r/o any other issues.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given the kitten's potential health issues, it probably would be a good idea to isolate him - if for no other reason than to work on the pooping situation. And the odds are that your older cat is being much more impacted by the kitten than vice-versa. An older cat - in most cases - needs a whole lot more time to acclimate to a kitten than just a month. See if these TCS articles might be of benefit to you in devising a plan going forward.
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pooping around the tray is either does not like the litter, or marking territory, do you have three litter trays, one for each cat and a spare.

Pooping behind the sofa is either again marking behaviour or a way alleviate stress, making the area smell of himself, also possibly can't make it to litter tray.

Chasing the older cat is normal, what your older cat is doing, in hissing is correct, tellling the kitten to back off, but the fact she runs away is a problem, as they kitten will continue to repeat the behaviour, she needs to slap him otherwise the penny won't drop and he won't respect her space.

You need to restart introductions, regardless of the kitten not a big fan of the procedure.

As for poop, stop feeding the cat rice, protein is a cats natural diet, forget the carbs.

If you don't nip it in the butt, your older cat will start redirecting her frustation at you, in the form of peeing, pooping around the house and there is a chance she will physically attack you.

Unfortunately the well being of the older cat, takes prescident, as this is and was her manor [home].

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go back a step and do the reintroductions again. You should have 3-4 litter boxes uncovered placed around the house as well as at least 2 cat trees and many scratching posts. Don't rush intros and be sure to play out the kitten for 15 -30 minutes 2-4 times a day depending on the energy level. You should not expect your senior cat to play with the kitten so it is vital that you are the one that is burning off the kitten's energy. I do not agree with letting cats work it out. Believe me, it doesn't stop. Over a year later and my 3 still don't get along if the boys have too much energy and dare to try and play with my younger cat. She still hisses and growls at them. The only thing that helps is playing the boys out.

Beccamorris96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone!

Today we bought a third litter tray, a hooded one to see if that may help. We've also began to isolate our kitten again for reintroduction.

Our older cat seems very settled tonight spending a lot of time with us, we have been taking it in turns with both cats.

We already had a tree for each cat and their own toys. Our older cat has not stepped foot in the front living room (where cat was/ is isolating) since the kitten arrived.

thanks again :)

Beccamorris96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pooping around the tray is either does not like the litter, or marking territory, do you have three litter trays, one for each cat and a spare.

Pooping behind the sofa is either again marking behaviour or a way alleviate stress, making the area smell of himself, also possibly can't make it to litter tray.

Chasing the older cat is normal, what your older cat is doing, in hissing is correct, tellling the kitten to back off, but the fact she runs away is a problem, as they kitten will continue to repeat the behaviour, she needs to slap him otherwise the penny won't drop and he won't respect her space.

You need to restart introductions, regardless of the kitten not a big fan of the procedure.

As for poop, stop feeding the cat rice, protein is a cats natural diet, forget the carbs.

If you don't nip it in the butt, your older cat will start redirecting her frustation at you, in the form of peeing, pooping around the house and there is a chance she will physically attack you.

Unfortunately the well being of the older cat, takes prescident, as this is and was her manor [home].
Thank you for the help! We have bought a third litter tray today. They also have own trees and toys currently!
We started the isolating/ introduction period again, I don't suppose you know how long to carry this out for as they do already know of each other? Thanks :)

Beccamorris96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Go back a step and do the reintroductions again. You should have 3-4 litter boxes uncovered placed around the house as well as at least 2 cat trees and many scratching posts. Don't rush intros and be sure to play out the kitten for 15 -30 minutes 2-4 times a day depending on the energy level. You should not expect your senior cat to play with the kitten so it is vital that you are the one that is burning off the kitten's energy. I do not agree with letting cats work it out. Believe me, it doesn't stop. Over a year later and my 3 still don't get along if the boys have too much energy and dare to try and play with my younger cat. She still hisses and growls at them. The only thing that helps is playing the boys out.
thank you, we have restarted the process again fingers crossed :)

Beccamorris96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Given the kitten's potential health issues, it probably would be a good idea to isolate him - if for no other reason than to work on the pooping situation. And the odds are that your older cat is being much more impacted by the kitten than vice-versa. An older cat - in most cases - needs a whole lot more time to acclimate to a kitten than just a month. See if these TCS articles might be of benefit to you in devising a plan going forward.
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks for the advice, kitten is back in his room isolating. Will definitely read the articles for advice. :)

Beccamorris96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot really answer your question but I can tell you that I have a female cat that gets bullied and sometimes there is blood in her stool. From articles I’ve read stress can cause that. A stool sample sill r/o any other issues.
Thank you, today we have tried to ease stress between the two cats just in case that is the issue. Fingers crossed we see improvements :)

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the help! We have bought a third litter tray today. They also have own trees and toys currently!
We started the isolating/ introduction period again, I don't suppose you know how long to carry this out for as they do already know of each other? Thanks :)
I can not specify a time frame, it's about observing the older cats body language on each iteration of performing the introduction, after a few days could be weeks, test the two cats being in the same vicinity [room] for say 5 to 20 minutes, and observe she how she reacts, does she look relaxed and kneading or is hyper alert, has she decided to go into hiding, stopped eating or even stop going to toilet.

Start with the scent swaps and see how she takes to that.