Kitten Being Alone

Jacie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I briefly mentioned this in my last thread, but I adopted a 10 week old kitten 3 days ago and im waiting to introduce her to my older cat. However, whenever I leave her in her safe room and she's not sleeping, she meows and scratches under the door. I try to spend as much time with her as I can but I have stuff to do and can't be in there 24/7. It breaks my heart to hear her meow at the door but I cannot be there when I'm cooking or working on something, and I don't feel comfortable letting her sleep with me quite yet because she's tiny and I'm so afraid I would squish her, and my room has tons of plants and things I don't want her to be around. Is it okay to just let her meow and learn to be alone?? I fear that she has some form of separation anxiety but I just don't know what to do :-(

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She will adjust but it is hard to know whether it will happen in a day or take much longer. Every kitten is different, some times you need to try different things to see what calms them. Does she quiet down if you hold her or pet her? Have you kittenproofed your house so that at least while you are up you can put the older cat in a room and let the baby out for a while. I would try to let her have as much time with you as you can and have a long play session before bedtime. Hopefully she be tired enough to sleep (and let you sleep).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jacie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Yes, she immediately quiets down when I hold her or even if I'm in the room with her. We have been letting her out a couple times a day and securing our resident cat but she wants to be out so bad haha. Thanks!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put her in a crate and carry her room to room so she can be with you while you are doing things? (With frequent bathroom, food and play breaks of course.) Can she sleep in a crate with a wrapped hot water bottle on one side, on your bed with your fingers poking through? One of my most heart stopping moments was when I was raising kittens and the wee little angles had crawled out of the tall laundry basket I kept them in, up onto my bed and were nestled against me.... during my sleep! I didn't sleep soundly for over a month. All my future cats appreciate that if I feel the weight of even a balled up blanket (or cat) I will not turn over or move. I had no idea what I was doing with those kittens, we were just trying to keep them alive. Think 6 weeks old! I think a crate or a large crate makes way more sense ... as does kitten proofing the one room you spend the most time in, so they can hang out with you. Please tell us how it goes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jacie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you put her in a crate and carry her room to room so she can be with you while you are doing things? (With frequent bathroom, food and play breaks of course.) Can she sleep in a crate with a wrapped hot water bottle on one side, on your bed with your fingers poking through? One of my most heart stopping moments was when I was raising kittens and the wee little angles had crawled out of the tall laundry basket I kept them in, up onto my bed and were nestled against me.... during my sleep! I didn't sleep soundly for over a month. All my future cats appreciate that if I feel the weight of even a balled up blanket (or cat) I will not turn over or move. I had no idea what I was doing with those kittens, we were just trying to keep them alive. Think 6 weeks old! I think a crate or a large crate makes way more sense ... as does kitten proofing the one room you spend the most time in, so they can hang out with you. Please tell us how it goes?
Thank you! That's a good idea and I will definitely try it! That's so sweet how they wanted to be with you <3