Kitten behaviour at 8 weeks. Should I return them?

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

I bought two kittens (siblings) from a family that had a mother cat. They are 2 months old.

The guy told me that they had started eating solid food for a few days and were using the litter box with occasional accidents.

However in the first day I have noticed a couple of things that made me think if they need some more time with their mother as most places recommend 10-12 weeks before seperation. Firstly, they are not burying their poop or urine. Secondly, there have been a couple of accidents already with a kitten urinating in the corner. Could these be stress related or other reasons, or do you think its best for the kittens' overall behaviour if they spend a couple of weeks more with the mother?

Thanks,

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
12 weeks with mom is always better, but they are babies, and babies have accidents. They need time to learn, and with your help they will mature a bit more each week and develop their skills. Putting them in the litter box several times daily - before and after meals - and taking a little paw and showing them how to dig will help. You’ll be surprised how quickly they do learn, but they need a little time. Be patient and enjoy them! Are they eating well? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Yeah they are eating well enough.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you keeping them confined to a smaller area right now?

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they are in a small room with all their essentials and food.

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: No accidents so far. Room stinks a lot because they are not burying their poop. One just dug a hole before doing a poop and sort of tried to cover it but couldn't do it. I tried to correct him but he ran away.

Just to clarify I don't want to return them permanently. Just a couple of weeks to be with their mother.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you share photos of the cuties?

Most people who rehome kittens aren't keen to take them back. My boy was given to me when he was 5 weeks old, although I was told he was 8 weeks. His original home wouldn't let him come back.

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you share photos of the cuties?

Most people who rehome kittens aren't keen to take them back. My boy was given to me when he was 5 weeks old, although I was told he was 8 weeks. His original home wouldn't let him come back.
The owners are definitely willing. I talked to them.

Here you go:

Attachments

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just have to say they are precious!!!!!! Getting two kittens was a great decision. I think they will be fine with a little time. With my two I found that they learned from each other as they grew Enjoy all the stages they go thru and post more pictures please

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cuties!

They do look like 8 weeks old so thats good. Probably just a time thing and they will learn. Just show them to cover as much as possible. Some cats never cover because they feel super safe in the home, my boy is one of those.

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Thankfully there were no more accidents. As for burying their business, they do try to cover it most of the time but are not very successful. For example, digging a hole and then pooping outside it and not able to cover it.

If I catch them in the act, I try to guide them with their paws. I guess they just need a bit of time :)

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
E egyptianmau our little orphans were darling when they learned to use the litterbox. They would dig a hole, then squat beside the hole, and lastly cover up a third place beside the other two holes. Than be very pleased with themselves. They all learned, eventually, so I would think there's hope.