Kitten Behavioral Concerns

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been working with both the kittens on not scratching furniture. They have two cardboard scratchers, a freestanding sisal scratching post, and their cats tree has 10+ additional sisal posts and 2 scratching ramps. I thought this would be enough, but they occasionally scratch the couch, ottoman, and armchair in the living room. I pick them up, tell them no, move them t an appropriate post, and use a spray on the areas they scratch that is supposed to deter they, but they continue to scratch the furniture. I’m wondering what else I can do to help them learn to use appropriate scratching furniture instead?
They also like to get into the blinds on my sliding glass door. I try to tell them no and move them, but I’m not sure what I can do to keep them from playing there. My family is concerned that they’ll break the blinds, and I’m hoping there’s some way I can teach them not to play there.
Lastly, they like to jump onto tables and counters. They get into things they shouldn’t and my family doesn’t want them up there, but all my efforts to keep them from jumping up haven’t worked. I tried using paper covered in double sided tape to deter them, but they just ran across it and continued to walk along the counter.
I’m hopeful they you might have some advice. I am willing to work with them to resolve these issues, but I’m not sure what to do.

Kikkz_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
As for that tables all I can do is wish you the best of luck with teaching them not to jump and walk across them!

But what I found effective for my cat with scratching and ruining furniture is to have a spray bottle and spray it at him when ever him used it as a scratchy post.

And when he did use their scratchy posts I would reward him with a treat- in a few short weeks he got the hang of it and now I'm consistently buying new scratchy post due to wear and tear.
I hope this helps!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best solution I've found for counter and table tops is lightly crumpled aluminum foil, and even that doesn't work with every cat. Part of the issue is that cats LOVE being up high! Try a cat tree or three (one by the counter so they can supervise from an approved location is good), or even wall-mounted shelves that stair-step up for them as an alternative. Let's face it, the "NOs" of life are easier to deal with if there is an attractive "YES" following them! As for the furniture, you might find that the double-sided tape is more effective there, as it catches in their claws and is quite unpleasant. Generally a few days of it will do the trick.

AH, the blinds! What IS IT with cats and blinds? I've been attempting to deal with that one for years now, and have found that the only thing that works for my cat is to keep the blinds all the way UP, and to hang good sheers for privacy! Can't help you there, I've thrown in the towel!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions!
I’ll try the foil. They have a cat tree in the living room which is adjacent to the kitchen, but I’ll see what I can do about providing vertical space in the kitchen itself.
I think double sided tape could work too. I’ll just have to buy a big roll of it, LOL!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just crinkle it lightly, so that it gives a tiny bit under their little feets. And Goddess help you if they decide they LIKE that sensation! It is rare, but 1 in 1000 do.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I trained my kitten, Parker, not to jump on the kitchen counter simply by repeatedly removing him and placing him on the floor. I did this matter-of-factly each and every time and without uttering a word. It took about a month. He hasn't jumped on the counter since and it's been many months now. Repetition and perseverance...

I just got five A4 size double sided tape sheets for a craft project from Amazon, they were surprisingly cheap at approximately $4. I'm sure you'd be able to find them where you live (and probably cheaper as the UK is an expensive place). I don't have a problem with scratched furniture but they look just the job if I did. I've just looked at Amazon US and there are a number of cat scratch sticky and laminate solutions:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_10_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field keywords=cat+scratch+deterrent&sprefix=cat+s%2Caps%2C364&crid=37AJ7Q2N7U3SJ&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acat+scratch+deterrent. But I also recommend thinking outside the 'cat product placement' box and hunting down cheaper craft or upholstery etc things to try.

Also, citronella essential oil is repellant to cats (and me!).

As for the blinds, are they vertical or horizontal? In either case, they are irresistible kitty playthings. But also extremely dangerous as they can strangle an entangled cat. So, you'd be wise to do away with them in favour of sheer/net curtains. However, if it were me, I'd put up privacy film, which comes in all sorts of beautiful patterns and shades. I have this one, rainbows are everywhere when the sun shines through!!!!! But you can get subtler ones without rainbows or even more colourful, stained glass effects. It is a doddle to put up and take down too.

:cool2:

Last edited:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It took quite some time to train Juniper to use her scratchers instead of our carpet. Our last cat took to the scratchers right away as soon as we spread catnip on them. Unfortunately, although Juniper likes catnip a lot, she didn't immediately connect rolling around on the scratcher with the idea of actually scratching! She also had a sisal vertical scratcher and a ball toy with a scratchy center, so she was well supplied with appropriate scratching surfaces, but still seemed to prefer the carpet despite lost of encouragement to use her scratchers instead of the carpet. We were totally lost for how to convince her to change her mind, and the double-sided tape didn't seem appropriate, since we want her to walk on the carpet, just not to scratch it.

In the end, after about 6 weeks and lots and lots of catnip, she seemed to have a 'lightbulb moment' and make the connection herself. She had greeted me after I got home with a stretch and a scratch on the carpet (typical) and when I scolded her, she ran over and used the scratcher, seemingly on a whim. After extravagant praise and occasional backsliding, she seems now to understand what items are approved for scratching.

So I guess I'm not sure that I have great advice to offer beside...don't give up! I think consistency of message across several weeks helped, and we were certainly impatient for her to get it before she did. Maybe yours just need more time to really digest the messages you're sending them.

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat used to jump on my counter all the time! I ended up stopping the habit by putting a stool in the kitchen for her to sit on, and miraculously that worked. She hopes up onto her stool every time I go to the kitchen now, and she hasn't been on the counter in months!

I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not, but just in case- Florine LOVES aluminum foil, and when I tried that as a deterrent she just tried to eat it, so maybe keep an eye out for that lol

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our tabby gets in trouble for scratching the couch.
So, now... he will put two paws up on the arm of couch and then turn and look directly at me.
Then scratch. :lol: