King Arthur "measure For Measure" Gluten Free Flour

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I tried this flour tonight and was pleasantly surprised. I think it's a pretty good product. I used it in our beef pot pie for the dough for the squares: flour, egg, salt, baking powder, butter, and water. I usually throw the combined dough out onto a floured surface to give it a couple kneads and to help it come together before rolling it out. It came together OK, but it was still sticky and I had to add more flour. It also was a bit of a hassle trying to roll it out; the dough stuck to the surface and to my rolling pin. A wee bit more flour was called for. But I got the dough rolled out and cut into squares. And let them on the counter for about five minutes.

As the beef, vegetables, and broth came to a simmer, I dropped the squares in, one by one, and stirred with my wooden spoon. It took them a while to pop to the surface, but the squares did. After I got all the dough squares into the broth, I covered the pan and cooked about 20 minutes, watching carefully and checking about every five minutes.

The squares didn't rise like they would had I been using regular flour. And the texture was a bit different; they weren't as light. But overall? They were good. No aftertaste that I've had with other gluten free flours, even those that I made myself (some flours have a kind of "beany" aftertaste). I'm pleased and would highly recommend this flour for most of your baking needs, if you're gluten-free. It doesn't work on recipes that call for yeast, simply because it won't rise like yeasted recipes are supposed to; don't use it for bread recipes, or for sticky buns and the like. But for this, it's fine and Rick was pleased with the taste. I think our DIL will be very pleased, too. At least I hope so!

Our DIL is a peanut butter lover, so I'm going to try it in peanut butter cookies tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not bad! Rick says he thinks he could handle eating foods made from this flour. (Just don't try making bread with it; it won't work. King Arthur even says that.)

Oh, and it is in our local supermarkets now. I saw it last night. $4.79 for one pound at our local Giant. Might be cheaper to get it in the 3-pound bag directly from KA, but then again, you have to pay for shipping, too.