Kidney health in young cat

jomavol97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon. Recently, my 3-year-old kitten was diagnosed with chronic immune-mediated glomerulonephritis (they say it's difficult to establish the cause, but they suspect aggressive calicivirus over a long term). We are treating him with prednisolone and telmisartan. Apparently, the proteinuria is decreasing and he is doing well, but I would like to ask about something that may not be so common in veterinary medicine as it is in human medicine: using supplementation.
I have read on the internet (I am neither a doctor nor a veterinarian) that supplements such as omega-3, probiotics, B-group vitamins, or antioxidants could theoretically be used (in addition to controlling phosphorus in the diet).
Do you have any information on this topic? What can you advise me?
Thank you all for reading. Regards.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he is on the correct medications for this issue, but you can't go wrong by adding in some Omega 3, and Vitamin B can help with appetite, if he's low on that Vitamin. Personally, I think probiotics are a good thing, though I don't think everyone agrees with that. Adding antioxidants might offset what the Prednisolone is trying to do, so not too sure on that one. You might want to discuss that with your Vet.

sincerely hoping this doesn't turn into CKD :vibes: :vibes: