Keeping Kittens Separated After Unexpected Surgery?

itsthekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, been lurking around these forums for months, but finally made myself an account to ask for some opinions on my current situation.

Long story short, on this past Sunday (Nov 19), one of my two 7 month old kittens got into a ball of yarn and ate a ton of it, and ended up needing surgery to have it removed from his intestines before it could cause serious damage. And yes, I'm well aware kittens and cats really shouldn't have yarn, but he unfortunately got into a ball of it somewhere where I thought he couldn't get it. It was an unhappy accident but he's doing well now and seems to be healing nicely.

My dilemma comes with trying to keep him calm and not jumping and roughly playing, which has led me to keep him confined to his own room for these last several days. My kittens are attached at the hip and I know they'll survive this even if they don't see each other until the sutures are removed, but I feel bad that they both seem to be really lonely. Both are meowing and scratching doors way more than ever, which I realize is just an inconvenience I'll need to deal with to ensure my kitten heals without complications.

However, I was curious if anyone had any experiences to share.. is it overkill for me to keep them apart? After a few more days, would supervised time together be okay? My number one fear is having him jump or play too rough since they like to bunny kick each other right in the gut. I was told that the greatest risk of leakage from the intestinal sutures is between 3-6 days, so I've been so paranoid about doing anything that could make that worse... I don't know if I'm being too worrisome or not, this is the first time I've owned cats as an adult that I've been 100% responsible for, and I just want to do right by them. I don't think I trust them not to get out of control with each other, but the full two weeks until the sutures are removed feels like a really long time to keep them apart.

I'd appreciate any insight or input anyone has, I don't want to be a crazy over protective cat mom being way over the top about this, but I also don't want to do anything that could potentially lead to complications.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it isn’t overkill to keep them apart. I would plan on a full week separation to make sure the incision has time to heal. Way too much temptation to rough play when they are together.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. And when you do allow them to interact again, keep a bit of an eye on things for a day or two, just to be sure. And yes, kittens can get into ANYTHING AT ALL, no matter where it's hidden. You do the best you can. It's all you can do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

itsthekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to you both! I've been a hot mess this week dealing with these kitties, and if nothing else it's just nice to hear that I'm not doing something "wrong." And in fact, my healthy kitten was growling at the door as the other was scratching at it, so I'm thinking I'm going to be dealing with non-recognition aggression... which kind of makes me want to keep them separate until my sick kitty is all the way healed..

toxicglowsticks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One suggestion I received when the same exact thing happened to my little Pica-beast was to hold the injured cat so they can’t run around and just allow the other to sniff and be near them. That way, it is surpervised and completely controlled. If they try to get rowdy, then end the meeting time. It might also assist with the non-recognition.

When we decided to do this method with our cat who ate a rubber duck, we let his playmate come into his room while we held our injured cat. It did seem to assist with the depression he was facing being quarantined by just knowing his friend was still there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's certainly worth a shot, and allows you to control each and every move and minute.