Keeping Cats From Darting Into A Room

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My searches mostly find help with keeping a cat from darting outside. My DH has an office that needs to be no-go for our six-month-old brother cats for a few months. Of course, that's the room they're always trying to get into. Google searches suggest things that won't work for us (spraying cat deterrent, blocking the room off, tossing treats or planting one of those scat cat things) because the room is directly across from their favorite litter box, a cat tree in front of a window and one of their water fountains. I don't want to take any chances spooking them in their area.

We've tried tossing toys to the other end of the hall to distract them, but one of the little imps nearly always scurries into the forbidden room. We're using treats for training purposes, so I'm not keen on using food either, especially because one of them is getting huge even on a raw diet and limited treats.

The entry to the office is awkward at best, so trying to block the lower part of the doorway has proved hazardous to us and did exactly zero to deter the acrobats, lol.

Suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Hmmm, yes, I can understand not wanting to "upset the applecart" of a functioning litterbox situation … and yeah, they KNOW when they're not supposed to go somewhere ...LOL

What about a spring-loaded hinge on a screen door? I assume there's no door to the entry of this room, so in other words, a somewhat more permanent version of stacked baby gates...or even a screen door that you could just lean in place - since in the future I'm guessing you want the room and the entry back the way it was before it was a no-go zone...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, darn, I wasn't clear. There is a door to the office. They just make a beeline to get through it, often between or over DH's feet! When we try blocking the bottom of it, it only slows him (or me) down. We try opening it just a smidge and BAM one of them zips in there. DH is then thrown off and leaves the door open when he tries to retrieve that cat and inevitably the other one is in there too.

I guess I have to train the cats AND my darling husband.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I'm laughing but with love, I promise

Can you put the reason for needing to keep the cats out of that room somewhere else?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh... ok. So they're just being cats! ;)

My Ruby will hear me going down the basement stairs and will come tearing through the house and pass me on the stairs so she can wait by the furnace room in hopes that I'm going to open the door. Since it's not off limits, I usually let her in for her exploring adventure.

With your kittens, I think all you can do is pick them up and put them out of the office when they squeeze their way inside. Or maybe put some toys, or cardboard boxes, or cat beds that they might want to hang out in. Or just put them in another room, or open the door super quietly, when you or your husband needs to get in the office.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I get it Furballsmom. I love him, but - sigh.

If I could move those work projects out of there (or hire the professional organizer I've been talking about for years) I'd do it in a minute. My mad professor always has stacks of papers, books, computer stuff and I'm not really sure what strewn from one end to the other. This time he's built the desk of his dreams which will have to be disassembled before he can get it out of the room. (His mother warned me of his tendencies 45 years ago, btw, and I've been dealing with it ever since.)

To his credit, after a considerable downsize, he IS confining all his "stuff" to that room. Big promises to finally get it organized and stowed away by Christmas...As I said, we've been married for decades and I am not hopeful. :-)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
or hire the professional organizer I've been talking about for years
Oh gosh, wouldn't that be fun?! ...bless his mom, and you :cloud9:

Oh, by the way, I re-read your first post and saw that you mentioned one of your boys is turning into a chunky monkey.

They sound like smart little cookies :) --Can you try training them for walks in a harness and leash (although one at a time outside, two at one time can be dangerous).

Or even clicker training?
Clicker Training For Cats

Also here are some other ideas that could help with getting them to self-entertain/be more active which could help with both physical and mental exercise;
Food Puzzles for Cats

20 Best Interactive Cat Toys: The Ultimate List (2018) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
rubysmama, you might be right. They're the lights of our lives (shh! don't tell the grandkids!) I just don't want anything heavy to fall on them or have them hide so well that we can't find them. It's a real no-man's-land in there.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, indeed, Furballsmom, keeping the chunkster moving is sometimes a challenge. He's the cuddlebug. They do rip and snort around the house a lot and love sliding on big pieces of paper or their pop-up cubes. We use the wand toys a lot, but the big guy prefers lying on his back and batting at it, lol. We've finally noticed that he wants to climb and jump more than he wants to just run, so that's what we're focusing on with him. His brother loves fetching, but Artie can't be bothered.

They do have harnesses, but we haven't actually gone outside yet. Why? I honestly don't know. Doh! That's great advice, though, to take them one at a time.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Cutest little helions!

I think you touched on this, but would a baby gate on the lower part stop them from rushing through the door immediately? And give you time to step over it (or if it’s a hinged one open quickly and step through)? Or was that what you were saying about it not working well to block off the lower part of the door? If you don’t have to worry about holding a blocking thing, maybe that could help.

I understand the chaos. We have a cat we are confining to one room so he can heal, and trying to keep the other two out. Sometimes it’s chaos and there are just cats everywhere.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We haven't tried a baby gate. Hmm. Maybe putting it just inside the door would work. We could easily step over it as long as he kept the first circle of hell - I mean top-heavy pile of papers far enough away. It's having to avoid stepping on both cats AND clutter while making an immediate turn while getting free of the door and kittens that makes it so treacherous.

Off to Target for a baby gate.

I'm thinking of showing him this thread in hopes of shaming him into quicker action. Not that shaming has had any impact before, lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!
They are absolutely darling, and yep, you're right, they are completely irresistible and trouble pretty much radiates. Gee whiz they are cuties!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried putting Halloween costumes on them. Costumes too big & kitties too wiggly.

View attachment 259205
They're paws-itively adorable. :purr:

It's not quite as purr-fect with the wings cropped, but in case you want to use it for your profile pic, I've edited it to the correct size for you.
batpic.jpg
;)

Last edited: