Keep cat off bed or stop cat crying

ToddKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I’m new to this forum, so apologies if you’ve answered this a million times.

I have a 2 year-old calico. Ideally, I’d like her to sleep in my bed at night, but she jumps on it, gets real hyper and starts ripping into the sheets. Then she gets under the covers, and claws me and takes little bites, which makes it hard to sleep. So now I keep her out of the bedroom. The problem with that is she cries at my bedroom door A LOT in the morning. I try to ignore it but it’s very loud. I usually wait until she’s silent for a moment, then I open the door. She’ll follow me around the apartment, then eventually calms down. Sometimes she ends up sleeping on my lap on the couch. But all this usually happens earlier than I’d like to get up. It’s a real problem because I’m losing sleep every night. The vet doesn’t think there’s anything physical going on.

Things I’ve tried:
— giving her Solliquin and Purina Calming Probiotic everyday (recommended by vet)
— automatic feeder that dispenses dry treats four times in the early morning
— set up my Sonos to start playing cat relax music around 7am
— I have a cat tree and bed in the bedroom, and a taller cat tree, bed, window perch, and One Fast Cat wheel in the living room.
— Feliway diffusers

I feel like my choices are:
1. Find a way to let her in the bedroom but keep her off of the bed
2. Keep her out of the bedroom, but eliminate morning crying

Which is the most achievable?

Thank you for any help!

TK

Sammygirl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why not try getting her a bed and then seeing if they have some kind of cat attract spray and spraying that on her bed in your room. My cat Noel used to pee on my bed every time i left the room. It took almost two years to get him to stop. I know it’s not the best advice but some times patience is the answer. I understand that it’s frustrating that your cat can’t just tell you what’s wrong and why she’s acting this way. We went through all kinds of medicine, food, litter, litter boxes, and everything. He still has accidents sometimes but nowhere near as bad as before. When we took him to the vet our vets advice was to just have patience that he would stop or we could euthanize or rehome him. I hope you eventually find something that works. Does she have toys and stuff in your room to play with at night or maybe a scratching post in your room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToddKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has a bed and cat tree in my bedroom, as well as in the living room. Plenty of toys, and two scratching posts in the living room (I can move one into the bedroom). But you're probably right about having patience. Thanks!

Sammygirl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course! I also thought maybe getting her an old sheet and making like a homemade scratching post with some cardboard might deter fee from scratching your bed.