Just something to remind us why we do what we do!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shelter has been undergoing some changes that have at times made for a tense enviorment. We continue to push forward and do the best that we can. Yesterday I had a message forwarded to me about an elderly couple, with two adult disabled children. This family had lost their home & with that loss came the devistating blow of their 5 animals ending up at domestic animal control. I have heard bad stories about domestic animal control, but frankly this for me turned out to be a good experience. You see these 5 animals had been with them since 11/24. That is a long time for animal control. Their time was up & we were contacted by a family member of the elderly couple. There were 4 cats & one 16 year old 91 lb mastif. We are unfortunatly only a cat shelter. The woman who contacted us is continuing to look for a breed specific rescue group to help with the dog. One of the 4 cats is being adopted by a domestic animal control volunteer. Great news for that kitty! I contacted animal control late this morning to find out that the other 3 cats were still there. The gentleman I spoke with was farmilar with our shelter and more than happy to hand these three over to us. He had been working with the family and felt horrible about the situation. It was a team about 5 of our voulnteers (including me) that worked together to get this sweet angels. So today I feel great that I was able to save three lives and even beyond that I was able to help a family get some relief knowing their cats were safe. This kind of work is so hard, but stories like this make it all worth while! What a wonderful Christmas we've given these kitties a second chance at life!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your shelter and all the people involved for saving these cats

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, animal control rescues are always bittersweet. I am the only one who will go and do the actual rescues, so if someone called us and said my cats time is up it would make life easier. We havent been able to do too many rescues lately as we have been full ourselves but just did one from the local animal control (we let them pick which animals). Our local animal control are great and always call us when they get to crisis level but we have a very high kill animal control nearby and everytime I have rescued from there it broke my heart