Just Going To Vent For A Bit

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It makes me so very angry, and I mean deeply in my heart, at the amount of stray animals I see, especially cats and the fact that people post them on websites saying free. I never EVER will understand how people can be so dumb and selfish that they cannot spend $20 to get their pet fixed..especially because where I Live the shelters even make it a point to give out $10 vouchers and have weekends where they do the spay and neuter for FREE!! But then they complain and want to give kittens away for FREE or toss them out at the park all because THEY are IRRESPONSIBLE and cannot get their pets fixed, and then the problem falls on people such as myself who cannot walk away from any stray animal and want to always help.
An old co worker took in a stray pregnant momma cat. It was wonderful of her to do that. The cat had 5 kittens, and I told this girl that a rescue near us gets strays fixed for $10, and if she brings in more than one you can get a deal for it. They have money, and I know this because she spends hundreds on shoes for her hubby. Anyways I did everything for her but take the cats myself. I told her that all those cats she had would soon start spraying and trying to mate with each other, I gave her the address, the phone number and price for the cats. She said that she knows how important it is and that she would get right on it. Did she do it? No of course not, and now she has given away the kittens to family members without getting them fixed and next thing I know is they have become "outdoor" cats and are now mating with the other local strays:livid::angryfire::argh::argh::yelling:. I am just sooooooo frustrated and Angry, because I feel even when you try to educate and help people they just don't care. There are too many kittens and cats, and shelters are over crowded and all they are doing is making it even harder for kittens to find homes and not be put to sleep.

I just don't understand people's way of thinking I guess :frustrated: And then to go on websites and see they are giving animals "free to a good home" I really feel that is just setting up an ideal situation for animal abusers and sickos :bat::bat:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about needing to vent. I agree that giving away an animal for free or neutering for free is absolutely disgusting - animals, especially the strays that normally end up in these situations, are worth so much more than just free. I follow a woman on Instagram who fosters kittens and cats, and she has vented too before about the number of cats who come to her because they were otherwise going to be sold for free on the internet. When she mentioned about some of the horrors she had seen happen to these poor animals who end up being sold/neutered for free, I was in absolute shock. I knew some humans were sick but I didn't know just quite how warped the human mind could be.
Neutering and spaying is helping strays and ferals and also is reducing the number.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about needing to vent. I agree that giving away an animal for free or neutering for free is absolutely disgusting - animals, especially the strays that normally end up in these situations, are worth so much more than just free. I follow a woman on Instagram who fosters kittens and cats, and she has vented too before about the number of cats who come to her because they were otherwise going to be sold for free on the internet. When she mentioned about some of the horrors she had seen happen to these poor animals who end up being sold/neutered for free, I was in absolute shock. I knew some humans were sick but I didn't know just quite how warped the human mind could be.
Neutering and spaying is helping strays and ferals and also is reducing the number.

Yes I agree. I make it a point to reach out to people who post "free to a good home" ads and just let them know what can happen. Most people do seem to get it, but some just don't care and tell me its not my business. I just think that if you take it upon yourself to get an animal the first thing to do is get them fixed. I don't understand why people just don't do that. Or instead of dropping kittens off at the park at least be a decent human and take them to a shelter that's the LEAST you can do. It's just frustrating because my heart breaks every time...And I wish I could take them all in I really do because they all deserve good homes. But I mean, some people can't even care for their kids properly, so maybe I am dumb to think they would do any better for an animal :sigh::cringe:

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When i adopted shadow, I was also taking care of her mom and two of her siblings. I made absolutely sure they were going to good homes.
I networked with people I knew in the community and my neighbor/landlord to find homes for all of them.

I actually met everyone that was adopting (for free) momma and the other kit. My landlord kept one also.

It's really about taking responsibility for them. I get the frustrations of irresponsible owners, that why I took steps to know exactly where my fostered family was going. They were all fixed when the kits got old enough, and momma cat too.

Nothing gets me riled up like irresponsible people. I too, wish I could take in all of the cats people feel like they don't want. I would have kept the whole family if I could have.

I swear I'm going to be a crazy cat lady in my future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When i adopted shadow, I was also taking care of her mom and two of her siblings. I made absolutely sure they were going to good homes.
I networked with people I knew in the community and my neighbor/landlord to find homes for all of them.

I actually met everyone that was adopting (for free) momma and the other kit. My landlord kept one also.

It's really about taking responsibility for them. I get the frustrations of irresponsible owners, that why I took steps to know exactly where my fostered family was going. They were all fixed when the kits got old enough, and momma cat too.

Nothing gets me riled up like irresponsible people. I too, wish I could take in all of the cats people feel like they don't want. I would have kept the whole family if I could have.

I swear I'm going to be a crazy cat lady in my future.

I barely turned 26 this year and I am already close to that crazy cat lady quota HAH. I saved a black kitten, shes now my Stella. Then my heart broke for a super shy scared tabby cat who is now my Toby. Then I made friends with a stray whom I now have adopted, and I am working with a feral cat I came across as well. There are just so many in need and its so sad :( And its good to hear you vet all the people you give animals to. I just get mad at the posts I see saying things like "free to a good home if someone doesn't take him I will have to let him outside" I mean how horrible :(

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I barely turned 26 this year and I am already close to that crazy cat lady quota HAH. I just get mad at the posts I see saying things like "free to a good home if someone doesn't take him I will have to let him outside" I mean how horrible :(
If it wasn't for my dad, I would already be a crazy cat lady. He lives with me and would rather have dogs lol.

It upsets me to think that people would let cats just go rather than really try to find them a good home. All we can do is raise awareness and volunteer/foster.

I wish we could test people to see if they would make good pet parents. If we had more responsible owners, we wouldn't have so many homeless/feral and stray cats. Weed out the idiots lol.