Just Desexed, A Few Health Concerns.

HanahRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two Blue Russians, named Smokey and Bandit. They were neutered yesterday (Weds, Jan 17th) and though I was told to expect some odd behavior over the next few days, I am having a few concerns and want to know what others have experienced.

Smokey has been yowling constantly, with no obvious reason. Full water and food, has had plenty of attention, and doesn't seem to be in pain. He has always been a vocal cat, but it is getting out of hand as I live in an apartment, and I am nervous of getting kicked out for disrupting the neighbors at night. He also wakes up my partner who works long shifts starting at 5 am. I don't know what to do, and am struggling to work on 5 hours of sleep every night.

Bandit is the one I am more concerned about. He had to go back less than an hour after coming home as he was bleeding fairly heavily from his surgery site, and needed stitches. Now, he has been wheezing, and is very listless, doesn't want attention, and makes a mess of his food. He is a little on the chunky side, and usually LOVES to chow down, but now he is just playing with the kibbles, tossing them around and giving mommy a headache. He doesn't seem to be over tired, he just wants to lay down and not be touched... usually he is a very loving cat who wants to be petted 24/7.

If you have gone through this, or have any advice, please feel free to share. I'd love to hear what did and didn't work for you.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for getting them neutered! You’re greatly helping their health in the long term, as well as working to reduce pet overpopulation. I’m not a cat health expert myself, but this article: Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery gives a lot of great tips. Some others might be able to give more input.

I hope this helps a little. Keep us updated!

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be pretty concerned about Bandit as well. This needs to be addressed. I'd suggest going back to your vet for an exam and some blood work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HanahRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have him going in today in an hour... pray for us <3 Still lethargic and moody, But Smokey made a 180 and is back to the happy cat he is!