Just brought home a semi-feral cat and need advice

Wtldkat247

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought home a semi-feral that I’ve been visiting and feeding for about a year. Her name is Blue. She is around 3 years old. Her environment was in danger which is what prompted the rescue.

I am patient and dedicated to seeing this through. I love her and she loves me, in her previous environment she would come running every time I called her, she always stayed right by my side and I sat with her every day while she ate. We bonded in her feral environment.

I think she was dropped off at a homeless shelter as a kitten or young cat, most of her life is in the wild. Thats where she has been this whole time but it’s become dangerous for her recently and anll of the cats except her were rounded up and taken somewhere by the company next door. She had a pack of kittens that were about 8 months old who she ran with. Even after they were big they stayed with mom and they were always together. All of them disappeared about 3 weeks ago, plus it’s February and very cold (we are in Colorado).

I got her in a carrier and took her home. She is terrified. I feel awful. I want to help her anyway I can. I appreciate any tips that will help her with this transition.

Right now I have her in a crate in the living room for her safety. I have her litter box, food, water, and toys. I covered all of it except the bottom half on one side of the crate that faces me. I have a towel that she can crawl under and hide. Meanwhile am sleeping on an air mattress right next to her and I have about a week to be with her before I go back to work.

I’m so worried I’m wrong for bringing her home but I felt like i had to. It almost seems cruel when I see how scared she is. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate any suggestions! Thank you

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I brought home a semi-feral that I’ve been visiting and feeding for about a year. Her name is Blue. She is around 3 years old. Her environment was in danger which is what prompted the rescue.

I am patient and dedicated to seeing this through. I love her and she loves me, in her previous environment she would come running every time I called her, she always stayed right by my side and I sat with her every day while she ate. We bonded in her feral environment.

I think she was dropped off at a homeless shelter as a kitten or young cat, most of her life is in the wild. Thats where she has been this whole time but it’s become dangerous for her recently and anll of the cats except her were rounded up and taken somewhere by the company next door. She had a pack of kittens that were about 8 months old who she ran with. Even after they were big they stayed with mom and they were always together. All of them disappeared about 3 weeks ago, plus it’s February and very cold (we are in Colorado).

I got her in a carrier and took her home. She is terrified. I feel awful. I want to help her anyway I can. I appreciate any tips that will help her with this transition.

Right now I have her in a crate in the living room for her safety. I have her litter box, food, water, and toys. I covered all of it except the bottom half on one side of the crate that faces me. I have a towel that she can crawl under and hide. Meanwhile am sleeping on an air mattress right next to her and I have about a week to be with her before I go back to work.

I’m so worried I’m wrong for bringing her home but I felt like i had to. It almost seems cruel when I see how scared she is. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate any suggestions! Thank you
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking this kitty in and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home :clapcat:

It is normal that she's feeling awful now as she is in a new environment and things are strange to her but nevertheless, do not worry. You did the right thing of bringing her in.

What you have in the room is good. Covered crate, litterbox and food and water and toys and of which she may not use them immediately.
Just make sure that the rooms has no escape route and since both of you are bonded and she trust you, Betty is also to leave a few of your clean unwashed non perfumed garments with her so that she can soak up your scents since she's in a new place and this will help calm her down and get ready when you have to go to work and familiar scents will boost her confidence.

Keep her company as much as you can and since she's in a here place now, leave her as it is and do not rush her to come out of the crate as yet. Leave the crate door opened and let her venture out at her own timing and also if you can, have a cardboard box for her so that there's another place to retreat to when she's afraid.

Play some cat music for her (you can find them on Youtube), keep her calm and help her integrate into the new environment. Once she starts to feel that no harm is done to her, her confidence level will go up and give her time to adjust to being indoors.

With love, patience and routine, it'll be easer to help her and keep talking to her in a sweet loving voice and do eye blinks with her. Try not to startle her and also make sure you don't betray her trust.

At this point, we have to wait and see what is the next step Blue will take and we can guide you from there. Feel free to ask questions and there are no such thing as a stupid question here. We are here for you and Blue.

Just keep us posted of any progress and also do post photos of Blue for us to see.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
God Bless you- you ABSOLUTELY did the right thing and her bring scared is temporary with a bright future ahead for a long,healthy life - safe in a forever loving home... versus ,a permanently dangerous environment for a very unfortunate existence for who knows how long or short👍

Do you have a small spare room that you can make a cat safe room for her? She's fine in the crate right now,how big is the crate...... tell us a little about your lay out of your home and we can give you suggestions for her to acclimate to life indoors with the least amount of stress....

She already knows you but first she needs to establish a safe space in her new environment- it's not you she's afraid of but being in unfamiliar territory-

So tell us a little

CalicoKittyDaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

You did what really is best for her. She will loose her fear and adjust to her new home and being an indoor cat.

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't push her or rush it! Let her decide when she feels comfortable! All my experience before was raising and training German Shephards. She was a violent feral kitten I saved. She taught me cats are not little dogs and will decide when they will accept you and their surroundings! It took 18 months for me! I fed her, cleaned the boxes, and left her alone as she would bite or scratch me! I did talk to her a little bit. Then one night as I lay on the couch watching TV she climbed up on me and slept! Best buddies ever since! Good luck.....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
With love, patience and routine,
To repeat and reiterate;
Time, time and more time, and all sorts of patience. Any expectations you may have about her probably need to be thrown out the window. She is working to learn the environment, the sounds, smells, routines, inside and outside.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You made the right decision and she will just need lots of time, more time, TLC, patience, more patience, TLC, and a steady supply of food. She is re-learning her environment and gaining confidence in her new home. I would suggest calming agents such as Feliway or Comfort Zone if you aren't using them already, a small space (spare bedroom or bathroom), and to not free feed, but take food in when you go to visit. Make sure she has safe hiding spaces like a box on its side or a "cave" bed.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking this cat. You love each other so this will work out. It takes patience and time. The cat will need to adjust to her new surroundings. And do not feel bad about this. You have done the very best thing for this cat. No one else stepped up for her.

I have a feral that will now let my give him belly rubs. He was 8 months old when I took him in, so maybe not as set in his ways as some. I started out with my feral in a bathroom. I visited him often and learned a few things. When I looked at him directly, he would panic. So I tried to not make eye contact. Also when I opened the door he would panic and try to leap up on things and fall. So I started knocking before I went into that room, giving him time to find a safe spot before I entered. I think it is important to give the cat space and also time to explore his new environment (in my case, the bathroom) alone. When she becomes more familiar with all the new stuff, she will feel more comfortable and be more approachable. Everything has changed for your cat and she is a little freaked. A small room can become hers before you show her the rest of your home. Let thing happen when she is comfortable with them and know that it will probably take time.

When I was in the bathroom, I would sit and read, sometimes aloud to get him used to the sound of my voice. I gave him plenty of time to check me out and see that I am harmless.

I see a bright future ahead for you and this cat.:redheartpump:

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a bit of hope for you, i did nearly the same as you with a feral whovwas laying near my house , emaciated and starving i lured him into a humane trap and took him for tnr, was told he was only a year old , i thought he was old and dying. He was suffering from malnitrion and dehydration. Brought him home and kept him in my house in a cage for awhile until the change he was going through subsided. Took time. But that was six years ago and today he is my soulmate. He follows me around everywhere and is very loving and cuddles, etc. Good luck with your v new best friend. It just takes love and time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there - it‘s great that you‘ve done this and the fact that you already have a relationship with the cat will be so, so helpful once she settles down. And she will settle down.
My little semi feral came off the street at about 6 months old. I encountered her first at about 12 weeks old totally emaciated and sickly when I was on a kajaking holiday on a little island in Greece. She captured my heart (and soul) immediately and I started socializing her on the street (hand feeding only) to try and get close to her with the intention of getting her to the vet (only on the island 2 days a week) and possibly adopting her.
Due to very complicated circumstances I couldn‘t initially take her with me but I did get her some vet help and I tried to ensure a longer term secure food source for her. She had already perked up physically by the time I had to leave. In total she only had 10 days of socialization with me on the street and I was the only once able to touch her. I was heartbroken to leave her, but at that time, despite all major efforts I couldn‘t find another possibility for her which would‘ve been in her best interests. She was extremely skittish and one of the street cats who flit around in the shadows and avoid people at all costs.
2 months later I still couldn‘t forget her and my circumstances had changed. So back we went to Greece to see what was possible. (Obviously before we went I’d done a lot of organisation and planning and had contacted the vet just in case) I had no idea if I would find her and if I did I had no idea in what state she would be and if coming home with me would be the best option for her. I had also been looking into just getting her TNRd.
It‘s an incredibly long story and quite mystical, but I found her. On first sight she was even more feral than she had been nearly 3 months previously. But I just kept calm and went through the same routine that I had done with her before. And she came to me, timidly, but with familiarity. And I was just able to gently lift her into a carrier and off we went to the vet.
She managed being crated, the ferry ride and 2 flights amazingly well (it was me who was on the edge of a nervous breakdown always questioning what I had done with her). Back home in Germany she purred for me on the first night.
I never crated her, but gave her the run of my kitchen (which I set up to be cat safe - or so I thought ;)). Despite all progress it was in no way plain sailing and she had to go through quite some vet visits in the first 2 months which did set her back in terms of socialization. It was always 1 step forward 2 steps back.
In order to try and gain her trust I continued only hand feeding for a couple of weeks (stroking her at the samr time) and I utilized the night when she felt more confident to spend time with her - playing and just sitting and talking.
Now 2.5 years on she is truly my soul kitty. She remains extremely shy towards strangers, but I can do everything with her.
So it just takes time, love and patience. And your kitty already trusts you
Working with animals is not new to me, but I think my journey with my kitty has been one of the most meaningful experiences (and wonders) of my life.
Wishing you as much joy on your journey!