Just Adopted Two Kittens--diarrhea And Eye Issue

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just adopted two rescues a boy and girl, both close to 4 months old. One had major parasite problems before I got him so has been underweight, was on meds, but is back eating again and gaining weight. His bloodwork was completely normal (they took him to the vet one week ago).

I got them Wednesday. First day was obviously stressful for them--new home--plus one has ringworm (which is almost gone) so the rescuer gave him a shampoo here (to show me how) when they arrived. They initially wouldn't touch the food--it was pro plan kitten pate. The rescuer said they're very picky and ultimately she ended up feeding them Royal Canin kitten dry and pro plan adult turkey and giblets. I ordered it and on wednesday got something similar-ish which they ate.

Thursday their food arrived and they gobbled it up. Both loved it. By the end of the day there was diarrhea. More like very loose bowels. Not to get graphic but on that chart purina has it was around a 5. At first I thought it was just from one, the boy. By yesterday, the diarrhea continued and I realized it was from both (including the girl who had diarrhea last night with a little blood in it).

I contacted the rescuer and it seems pretty clear it's the food since it's affecting both (neither had diarrhea at her place but kept switching food). I immediately switched this morning to pro plan kitten pate--they ate a little and the boy immediately had diarrhea. The girl had diarrhea about 35 minutes later (hers was a little better--a little less loose). They wanted to eat after going to the bathroom so I gave them some wellness kitten pate and both, so far are ok--an hour has passed. BTW, they're alert, lively, playing, drinking water.

I bought Fortiflora, it's arriving tomorrow and it hope it will help.

So my first question: normally, how long does it take for diarrhea to resolve in kittens if it's from food? Should I give it a day or so to resolve? If it doesn't resolve by tomorrow, I think I should take them (and poop samples) to a vet.

Second question/issue: The girl cat started squinting one eye (her left) yesterday. They've been play fighting a bit--sometimes wildly (not aggressively) meaning racing around the house. They've very bonded and hug and sleep together but also play. She has no discharge from the eye and today it's slightly better. I put a warm moist towel on it briefly yesterday (she balked when I tried to) but it helped almost immediately. I read online that most of the time, it's because of an injury. Has anyone had issues like this?

Thanks for all your help. I'm a new kitten mommy!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it doesn't resolve by tomorrow, I think I should take them (and poop samples) to a vet.
I think this is a great idea, just to be sure.
Have you been able to repeat the warm towel? I think she'll be ok since you were seeing improvement and no discharge, but you could always double-check with your vet if/when you go in :)
Maybe this will help for some of the other things;
First-time Cat Owner's Guide

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I can add is to be watchful of the ringworm, in that both should be treated for it as it is contagious. And, just in case you didn't know, it can also be passed on to humans. Not trying to freak you out, but thought you should know if you don't already. I have also attached an article about ringworm if you would be interested in reading it.

PetCoach - Ask a Vet Online for Free, 24/7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can add is to be watchful of the ringworm, in that both should be treated for it as it is contagious. And, just in case you didn't know, it can also be passed on to humans. Not trying to freak you out, but thought you should know if you don't already. I have also attached an article about ringworm if you would be interested in reading it.

PetCoach - Ask a Vet Online for Free, 24/7

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I actually ended up calling the local animal hospital and spoke with someone who felt the diarrhea was nothing to worry about (mostly due to the food she thought and the stress of being in a new environment). She said that since I switched food this morning, give it another few days. If it doesn't improve or gets worse, then bring them in.

She also felt the eye thing was probably a minor scratch from playing. She said the compress was good (she did let me do it again and it looks like it's slightly improving) and that I should only be concerned if there's a discharge or the eye is swollen.

So, I'm watching them, keeping a look out and fingers crossed, they haven't had diarrhea since they ate the Wellness kitten pate--two servings of it (I gave them lunch an hour ago) within the past 6 hours.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm going to buy some Libby's pumpkin which I heard is good for diarrhea and maybe some unflavored pedialyte to help them along.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I actually know quite a bit about ringworm and both of them are getting prescription lotion for it and I disinfect the house/beddings etc. The ringworm is actually disappearing.