Just adopted a rescue, question on canned food.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have purchased several types of canned food over the last few days since adopting my new cat. One brand I tried is the Rachel Ray canned variety in the small cans. Misty gobbled it up this morning, a tuna flavored. I then checked on some reviews of this food on Amazon, and there were quite a few one star reviews, all complaining about the same issue. Fish bones in the food. My question is, is the dangerous to feed a cat something with tiny bones in it, in other words, should I just put this stuff in the garbage, and stick to Blue Buffalo canned?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not dangerous for regular uncooked bones. But I don't know about fish ones. It's not good to feed too much fish anyway if your cat is willing to eat other proteins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not dangerous for regular uncooked bones. But I don't know about fish ones. It's not good to feed too much fish anyway if your cat is willing to eat other proteins.
Thanks, I thought fish was good for cats. Will start getting other proteins.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am going to assume that fish bones in those cans are not deliberate but an accident during processing? That being the case, they would be like fish bones people find in prepared fish, which are generally small but can get caught in ones throat or mouth. You could still go ahead and use the cans you have left, as long as you go through the food, look for bones and remove any you find before you give it to your cat - just to be on the safe side.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food is cooked directly in the sealed can. Any fish bones present in the food will be cooked. Most fish bones become super soft when cooked. Pate / loaf style foods are completely smooth so there's little chance of bone fragments in the food unlike chunky texture foods.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with this brand but just looked at the pictures on Amazon. I don't think such bones would be very risky for the stomach but I would be more concerned for the risk of them potentially hurting the gum, depending on how hard it is and where it goes in the mouth.

Also, last year for a while I fed my Hima with a fishy food from N&D and it was somewhere between pate to chunky. There was no consistency. From one can an actual fish eye would come out, bones would come out from some others, etc It went OK for a while but then Hima regurtiated with that food twice and stopped eating it. Not every version sat well for her. (There is not full ingredients consistency with pate texture either but things are at least more mixed flavor-wise due to the texture, and there is at least texture consistency.) I would personally avoid a fishy food like RR's over this reason too.