Just A Reminder. Don't Drink And Drive Over The Holidays.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to share an experience with you all, about drinking and driving.

As you well know, some of us have been known to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the holidays.
A couple of nights ago, I was at a Christmas party and had a few too many beers and some rather nice red wine.

Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before – I took a bus home.

I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a bus before and am not sure where I got it from

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to share an experience with you all, about drinking and driving.

As you well know, some of us have been known to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the holidays.
A couple of nights ago, I was at a Christmas party and had a few too many beers and some rather nice red wine.

Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before – I took a bus home.

I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a bus before and am not sure where I got it from
:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of the first time I got drunk. I was 18 and they had a party at work because the bosses were out of town. We all drank whiskey sours. I took the bus to work that morning and coming home I was wasted. A couple of my friends rode the bus home with me and got me safely home. The only thing I remember was that I was throwing up in a bag and everybody seemed to be staring at me. Boy was I glad I was drunk. If I was sober I would have been embarrassed. To this day I have never had another whiskey sour. They were nasty.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reminded of when it seemed the norm to drink and drive. Some of the old cops in my previous job told me that, 'in the good old days,' they often stopped drunk drivers and told them to either take it easy for the rest of the journey or if they were absolutely cooked then to park up and walk home. I suppose they were just being fair because they themselves did the same thing. After my 21st birthday bash, about a thousand years ago, my friend drove me home and he was legless with booze but we didn't think anything of it. How times have changed.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the old-timers who lives nearby told me that when he was young, drivers who had too much to drink drove really slowly. 25 MPH in the 55 MPH zones. He said that way, if they hit something or went off the road, they or other drivers were not hurt badly. That was the story anyway. :p Though truly, a person can be very badly injured in an accident at 25 MPH. Especially back then without seat belts and with metal dashboards. Nowadays, if you drive 25 in a 55 zone, you will get stopped and if you are drunk, taken off to jail. Times have truly changed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FUNNY! I remember, or rather don't remember some times getting home after a night on the town. I remember a nice policeman leading me home one night, that was super nice of him! Both my husband and I quit drinking on New Years Eve, 2000, and haven't drank since. Really don't miss it. I miss smoking a lot more, but can't remember why! Now THAT was addictive!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't drink enough to get drunk anymore. I can't even drink a 6 pack without feeling sick. I think I wrecked my liver when I was younger.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say that in my 71 years, I've never been drunk. I don't ever want to be, either. I don't like feeling not in control.

Up until the 1970s or 80s, in good ole boy Texas, your status was judged by the number of Lone Star beer cans in the back of your pickup. The idea was to drain the can and toss it in such a way that it landed in the bed of the truck. If you went to a beer joint, you were gonna get drunk. And you would stagger and weave your way home unless you went into a bar ditch. If you did, another drunk would come along with his truck, pull out the inevitable tow chain and "yank" you out of the ditch. As long as you didn't cause problems such as driving five miles per hour down the freeway, no one bothered you. No-alcohol Sundays were for sobering up.

Thank goodness things have changed. There are designated drivers and free rides home on Christmas and New Years. Bars try to keep an eye out for signs of drunkenness. There are task forces to bust drunks. However, there are still reports of stolen buses and even police cars.

So much for the serious stuff. It's a hysterically funny joke. Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In rural areas, drunk driving is pretty usual :/. If you live 10 miles away from the bar, out in the country, how else will you get home? There's even a bar out in the middle of nowhere. . .not even in a town. If you want to drink more than a couple there, drunk driving is pretty much required. A lot of people die from drunk driving in this state, but due to the lack of other cars on the road, at least they usually manage to only kill themselves. I'm glad the authorities are starting to take it more seriously, though I know it makes a lot of people mad.

My parents have a lot of scary stories too. My mom says her brother once drove her home from a party, and later didn't remember any of it. And once her boyfriend made her drive home drunk because she was less drunk than he was. My dad once wrecked his motorcycle, and because he was drunk his body stayed limp so he didn't break any bones. If he had been sober he would have tensed up and would have been seriously injured or killed, but on the other hand, he probably wouldn't have wrecked his bike at all if he wasn't drunk. It's a miracle they survived. A fair number of their classmates didn't.

I've never been drunk. I think my parents' stories scared me too much :tongue:.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FUNNY! I remember, or rather don't remember some times getting home after a night on the town. I remember a nice policeman leading me home one night, that was super nice of him! Both my husband and I quit drinking on New Years Eve, 2000, and haven't drank since. Really don't miss it. I miss smoking a lot more, but can't remember why! Now THAT was addictive!
I quit drinking about 20 years ago and I quit smoking 3 years ago. I don't miss the drinking at all.
I don't have a problem with it I just don't like the taste of booze anymore. Now smoking is another story. I just finished eating and I want a smoke so bad I can hardly stand it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to say don't drink and drive any time, not just the holidays! I only got behind the wheel of a car once after having two mixed drinks, and I knew I probably shouldn't be. Used to ride all the time with friends after being out drinking and didn't think anything of it, until that day. Once, my friend ran a stop sign and we almost got into an accident - and all we did was laugh about it. I don't actually drink at all anymore, haven't in years and don't miss it one bit.