Java viruses

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two browsers, Firefox and I/E. When I look at my add-on for I/E, Java is not there. When I look at add ons for Firefox it does say I have Java 7 there. I disabled it because of some posts I read here about Java viruses. There is no Java showing in my programs on my control panel.
So I have been getting Java Quarantines in my Microsoft Essentials Security. I also run Malwarebytes, paid version. Yesterday M/E quarantined three times in a row ExploitJava/CVE-2012-1723-BZC. Earlier this week it quarantined Java/Blacole.GD. Both were listed as severe and the instructions were to remove them immediately, which I did. Now my questions is this. How did this happen when I don't even have a working Java on my computer. Anyone have any ideas.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You most likely disabled Java and did not remove it, it can still become infected and possibly was after it was disabled. Oracle/Sun recommends that you update to the latest JRE, very annoying to do as these exploits happen often.

ETA: If you want some more information on the exploit, google [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]CVE-2012-1723-BZC. If you want to view the latest exploits and make sure you aren't infected, use a website such as securityfocus.com[/color]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You most likely disabled Java and did not remove it, it can still become infected and possibly was after it was disabled. Oracle/Sun recommends that you update to the latest JRE, very annoying to do as these exploits happen often.

ETA: If you want some more information on the exploit, google CVE-2012-1723-BZC. If you want to view the latest exploits and make sure you aren't infected, use a website such as securityfocus.com
There is no Java showing in my control panel under programs.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Java for Firefox is an add on, not a program. You'd need to go into Firefox and remove it there.