Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone think his products work for cats that are horribly afraid

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...I think I need more information here. What products are we talking about? What do you mean by horribly afraid? What behaviors is he showing? Do you know why he is so afraid? How long has it been going on?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had success with Peacemaker with all of my kitties. You can call them and they are very helpful finding the right blend for your situation. We also use Feliway diffusers 24/7 to help lower the stress and anxiety levels in our home. For one cat, it calms his aggression. For another kitty, it reduces her sneezing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Desertmouse Desertmouse - before being able to recommend specific products it would help us to know a little more about the background of your cat. Specifically the behavior that is causing your cat to be fearful, the age of the cat, how long he/she has lived with you, indoor vs outdoor, living conditions, e.g. roommates, other family members and if there are any other pets in the house. We would love to offer some tips and advice but need a bit more info. in order to help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your interest. Delilah is a long haired tortie. She is about 6 years old. We have had her for 2 years.
She had been in 2 shelters before we adopted her but could not get any information of where she came from. She was hiding for several months before we would see her. she is very sweet and does not growl or scratch when we do catch her to take to the vet and she is a perfect girl while she is there. at night when we turn the lights out she brings one of her toys onto the bed and sleeps there a lot of the night. Having said that she still runs from us most of the time but will be in the same room as long as she has a place to hide if we move. She runs if the doorbell or phone rings. In the morning she loves to play and I interact with that playtime. She loves to eat and will get on the bed in the morning and nudge my hand to get up to feed her or she will tolerate my husband walking toward her bowls to put food in, but she runs if he even dares to look her way.
I was always always able to feed her but now she is afraid to come into the laundry room, when I am there, (where she eats) and runs when she sees me put the food down. 5 minutes later she is begging me to feed her, she has forgotten that I put the food down.
I hate to think this but I am afraid someone injured her very badly and maybe even caused some brain unbalance.
The Jackson Galaxy product is a liquid you put in her food or a spray.
We just feel so sorry for her to be so afraid all the time. We adopted her so she could have a safe happy home.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I do not. I've tried several of them for cat aggression towards another cat, including the bully formula and other calming things he has. Never worked for me. I can't tell you how much money I spent on calming stuff that never worked.
I will say this though, my cats love his brand of toys.

Feliway products never worked for me either.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for your interest. Delilah is a long haired tortie. She is about 6 years old. We have had her for 2 years.
She had been in 2 shelters before we adopted her but could not get any information of where she came from. She was hiding for several months before we would see her. she is very sweet and does not growl or scratch when we do catch her to take to the vet and she is a perfect girl while she is there. at night when we turn the lights out she brings one of her toys onto the bed and sleeps there a lot of the night. Having said that she still runs from us most of the time but will be in the same room as long as she has a place to hide if we move. She runs if the doorbell or phone rings. In the morning she loves to play and I interact with that playtime. She loves to eat and will get on the bed in the morning and nudge my hand to get up to feed her or she will tolerate my husband walking toward her bowls to put food in, but she runs if he even dares to look her way.
I was always always able to feed her but now she is afraid to come into the laundry room, when I am there, (where she eats) and runs when she sees me put the food down. 5 minutes later she is begging me to feed her, she has forgotten that I put the food down.
I hate to think this but I am afraid someone injured her very badly and maybe even caused some brain unbalance.
The Jackson Galaxy product is a liquid you put in her food or a spray.
We just feel so sorry for her to be so afraid all the time. We adopted her so she could have a safe happy home.
Aww poor Delilah! I’m so glad she found a couple willing to put in th extra effort and care to help her!

Personally I don’t know much about the product you’re talking about, I’m sorry. All I can say is that the toys I’ve used from his line have been great and he seems to put a lot of care into what he puts out.

That being said there are things that you can also try.
This is something I suggest a lot but I would try and spend some time on her level. I’m always impressed that more cats don’t go running from the giants (or humans) stomping around, we must seem huge to them! Get a comfy cushion and a laptop/tablet/book and just hang out in whatever room she might be in and do what you would normally do. You might want to try putting down a trail of treats with a treat on your hand (if what you are doing will let you have a free hand) and said hand just laying there relaxed. Then ignore her until she comes looking for attention, such as rubbing her face against your hand. The idea is to get her to come to you for pets and link your scent/hand to good things like treats.
When you or your husband talk, try to talk in a soft high voice. Don’t be afraid to talk though, as it gets them used to both of your voices.
Try and put old blanket or sheet where she sleeps for a few days, once it gets nice and furry you can try putting it in other places so that she can smell her scent in these places and see them as “hers”, hopefully this will give her more confidence in those areas.
Make sure whenever you finish playing she “wins” and gets a treat.
If possible, try and put up some cat shelves (or just normal shelves that can handle her weight so she can walk along them). The idea behind this is to put her on a higher level (or your level, like I was talking about you getting on hers). Again this will hopefully raise her confidence.

Is it possible that she could have been hurt in the laundry room? Would it be possible to try feeding her in another room and see if she reacts the same way?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the details about Delilah and her past history or at least what you know about it. First, let me say she definitely found her forever home. Your hubby and you are the perfect, caring couple for this kitty. :hugs: Obviously you don't know about her past prior to being in the 2 shelters before you adopted her and there's a good possibility she could have suffered some type of trauma or abuse but knowing she is safe with you should help gain back her confidence. I'm going to suggest several Articles for your reference that I hope you find helpful:
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I want to let you know you're doing a fantastic job and Delilah is lucky to have you in her life. :heartshape: Please let us know about her progress.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the laundry room is feeling like too busy of a place, or too loud at times, for her to feel "safe" eating there?

Have you tried feeding her in another location, maybe one out of the way of any walking paths that you or your husband use?

I've always been curious about where people put their food dishes
Food Dish Placement

and I know there was also a recent article here at TCS after that about Feeding Tips
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I do not. I've tried several of them for cat aggression towards another cat, including the bully formula and other calming things he has. Never worked for me. I can't tell you how much money I spent on calming stuff that never worked.
I will say this though, my cats love his brand of toys.

Feliway products never worked for me either.
I agree about the Felway we tried them last year for months with no results.

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree Felway never worked for me

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww poor Delilah! I’m so glad she found a couple willing to put in th extra effort and care to help her!

Personally I don’t know much about the product you’re talking about, I’m sorry. All I can say is that the toys I’ve used from his line have been great and he seems to put a lot of care into what he puts out.

That being said there are things that you can also try.
This is something I suggest a lot but I would try and spend some time on her level. I’m always impressed that more cats don’t go running from the giants (or humans) stomping around, we must seem huge to them! Get a comfy cushion and a laptop/tablet/book and just hang out in whatever room she might be in and do what you would normally do. You might want to try putting down a trail of treats with a treat on your hand (if what you are doing will let you have a free hand) and said hand just laying there relaxed. Then ignore her until she comes looking for attention, such as rubbing her face against your hand. The idea is to get her to come to you for pets and link your scent/hand to good things like treats.
When you or your husband talk, try to talk in a soft high voice. Don’t be afraid to talk though, as it gets them used to both of your voices.
Try and put old blanket or sheet where she sleeps for a few days, once it gets nice and furry you can try putting it in other places so that she can smell her scent in these places and see them as “hers”, hopefully this will give her more confidence in those areas.
Make sure whenever you finish playing she “wins” and gets a treat.
If possible, try and put up some cat shelves (or just normal shelves that can handle her weight so she can walk along them). The idea behind this is to put her on a higher level (or your level, like I was talking about you getting on hers). Again this will hopefully raise her confidence.

Is it possible that she could have been hurt in the laundry room? Would it be possible to try feeding her in another room and see if she reacts the same way?
Thank you for your suggestions, I will try the reading on the floor and put her sleeping blanket in the living room. I also never gave her treats after playtime but I will start ASAP. The laundry room was always a safe place for her as it was out of the way and quiet. When we first got her she would go in there and jump on the top of the cabinets when she wasn't under the bed. That was one reason I started to put her food in there.
I just fed her about 30 minutes ago and the same running from me but now she is laying in a sunbeam near me.
Maybe poor girl has multiple personalities. (ha ha) we will continue to do everything in our power to make her feel safe. Thank you again

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe the laundry room is feeling like too busy of a place, or too loud at times, for her to feel "safe" eating there?

Have you tried feeding her in another location, maybe one out of the way of any walking paths that you or your husband use?

I've always been curious about where people put their food dishes
Food Dish Placement

and I know there was also a recent article here at TCS after that about Feeding Tips
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members
We started feeding her in the laundry room because it is quiet and out of the way. She would go there to hide out on the top of the cabinet. thanks

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm with Timmer. I have never found a "holistic" product that I found effective. That is why I prefer prescription meds. My fearful girl is now on mirtazapine. She started it to increase her appetite, but it has done wonders for her anxiety.

I do like Jackson, though! :)

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks I do not know what miztatazapine is but I would into it.

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm with Timmer. I have never found a "holistic" product that I found effective. That is why I prefer prescription meds. My fearful girl is now on mirtazapine. She started it to increase her appetite, but it has done wonders for her anxiety.

I do like Jackson, though! :)
I looked into this but it said nothing about animals but the side effects for humans seems horrible

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked into this but it said nothing about animals but the side effects for humans seems horrible
My experiences with holistic vs. rx meds is 20+ years, which in the grand scheme isn't much, but in short...
holistic medicine works. It works on mild cases, it works in the beginning stages but when the problem becomes out of control rx. meds can help. If the rx. meds work, sometimes they can be tapered off and can be used WITH holistic methods to hopefully combat the root of the problem.
My problem with rx. meds is the long term side effects and the "unknown".
Our asthmatic is working with a holistic practitioner. We're pretty much slam-dunk amazed at how well the results have worked. We continue his rx. meds as needed but over all all his symptoms are improving.
Holistic medicine IMO isn't always a "DIY" project, especially in serious cases involving long term inflammation, cancer, serious anxiety, etc. etc. A GOOD practitioner can make or break the results, but finding a good one can be hard.
Just my two cents....from someone who has had good AND bad experience with both camps depending on the "expert" I'm working with.

An edit:
I've heard of holistic doctors "firing" patients for using conventional, life saving medicines like antibiotics and (in our guys case) prednisolone. I would not waste my money on practitioners like this. MY pet, MY decision.
My only advice is find a practitioner that is willing to work with a pet that's on life saving drugs for a reason in hopes to dwindle that medicine down to the lowest possible dosage with other means to keep symptoms at bay and keep the happy, eating, playing, and comfortable.
I do defend holistic medicine but I will never defend a practice that "fires" patients for using rx. drugs in a life threatening situation. Ridiculous!!!

Last edited: