It's wrong

cats&kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys my two nieces have two cats one the was abandon as a kitten and starving she five years old and the other one was given to them and my sister in law is thinking of moving and leaving the cats behind I think it's wrong and will break the cats heart and wonder will them make themselves sick on purpose because being abandon after living with my Nieces for five years?

No way am I abandon my Snowie just go to another state

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think all the cats rehomed at shelters prove that cats are resilient. however, you can google cats grieving, you would be surprised how much emotion they are capable of feeling. i always get angry when people dont take their pets into consideration.

i hope they find a good home for the cats and not just take them to a shelter. 

also, they havent considered driving up? or sending the pets on an airplane? there are even airplane companies specializing on pet travel.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats&kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know how much emotions cats can have and it would break Shortcake heart if she was abandon again like she was when she was a little kitten when her previous owners left her at empty house to defend herself, when they move to another state and for the other cat kitty her owner gave her up because her boyfriend didn't like cats so it would also break kitty heart if my sister in law abandon her too and too my nieces have boxer he adore them and how would he feel when he gets abandon

I also I refuse to abandon Snowie I made promise to her I would never abandon her and yes it sound silly make a promise to a cat ,But love Snowie so much and don't want to lose her

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how much emotions cats can have and it would break Shortcake heart if she was abandon again like she was when she was a little kitten when her previous owners left her at empty house to defend herself, when they move to another state and for the other cat kitty her owner gave her up because her boyfriend didn't like cats so it would also break kitty heart if my sister in law abandon her too and too my nieces have boxer he adore them and how would he feel when he gets abandon

I also I refuse to abandon Snowie I made promise to her I would never abandon her and yes it sound silly make a promise to a cat ,But love Snowie so much and don't want to lose her
its not silly at all. im a single woman, and one of the things i look for in a guy is that he loves my cat. i see my cat as family, if someone wants to be with me, they need to love my cat as well. its a package deal.
when i was young and immature i had to rehome a dog (to a friend with a farm thankfully), i felt so much guilt i promised myself i would not adopt again until i was ready to make a commitment. i waited many years until i adopted again. i promised my cat she would always be by my side. what angers me is people, like my brother, who constantly adopt and then rehome animals they cant deal with.

-----

on topic:

anyway, back to the topic. is your SOL going to rehome her cat or leave her at a shelter?

it will be hard for the kitty to be rehomed, but it might be better in the long run for her to be with someone that is willing to make a lifelong commitment to her.

is there anyone you know looking for a cat? someone that wont abandon her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats&kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No way am I abandoning Snowie and she my furr baby and no one going to make me give her up

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's illegal to just move away and leave your pets. Are you talking about that or is she going to take them to a shelter? Of course, both are bad, but straight-up abandonment is illegal so maybe you could use that to the cat's advantage.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this lady leaves the cats behind to fend for themselves then that is illegal. She can get fined big time for abandonment. They need to be surrended to a shelter, and even if it takes time to be adopted they will be safe and cared for and well fed.

That's good you wouldn't give your cat up, but if you can't make her surrender them please go and get them and take them to the shelter yourself.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's illegal to just move away and leave your pets. Are you talking about that or is she going to take them to a shelter? Of course, both are bad, but straight-up abandonment is illegal so maybe you could use that to the cat's advantage.
Yes and some people don't even bother to provide food and water 
They just leave the pet locked up in the home  If no one checks on the home, say a landlord, the pet will just die of starvation and hunger. There was a local news story about people abanding pets in locked up homes recently:

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/NECN-INVESTIGATES-Left-Behind--369420471.html

http://www.necn.com/multimedia/Advocates-Push-for-New-Laws-369269621.html

I guess some people just leave their pet at home instead of paying a surrender fee at the shelter. IMO, it's better to pay the fee and be sure that the pet will get food and water and care than to leave it locked up in a home with no food and water which is inhumane and cruel.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can't they take the cats with them to the new state? All it means is cat carriers and a motel that accepts pets if it's more than a day's drive. We moved from Georgia to Illinois with two cats, and it never crossed my mind to leave them behind. I don't understand people who surrender pets because they are moving.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does the house/building they are moving into not allow pets? If pets are not allowed in the house or building that they are moving into, they should be rehomed or surrendered to a shelter. Though the cats may be depressed about being left at a shelter, they'd still be much better off than being left to fend for themselves.

As others have said, it is illegal to move and just leave pets behind. And doing so would cause them more financial trouble than doing the right thing and surrendering them to a shelter.

But in my opinion, people who decide to have pets should be able to provide for them 100% of the time, just as people who have children are expected to take care of them and provide them with the things that they need. Pets are entirely dependant on their owners, in the same way that a child is dependant on their parents. They depend on us for food, water, shelter, medical care and love. And if at any time any one of those things cannot be provided, it is no longer in the pet's best interest to stay with it's current owner and would need to be surrendered. That is a tough decision to make, and the owners may really love the pet, but if the owners cannot provide everything the pet needs, it would be cruel for them to keep the pet.

I have about as much sympathy for people who abandon their pets (without trying to re-home them or taking them to a shelter) as I do for people who abuse or neglect their children (which, if your couldn't tell, is absolutely no sympathy). If you choose to get a pet, you should be responsible for providing the things that the pet needs. And if you are not capable of doing so, surrender the pet to someone who can. It boggles my mind that people cannot seem to grasp the concept that, by choosing to get a pet, you are solely responsible for providing everything that they need.

@cats&kittens By no means is this an attack on you. I know you don't want them to abandon their cats either. I just get very upset when people cannot grasp the concept of being responsible pet owners.

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 They depend on us for food, water, shelter, medical care and love. And if at any time any one of those things cannot be provided, 

Awesome post, i really enjoyed reading it. =)

One thing tho, since there are so many cats being put down, i dont think someone who cant afford medical expenses should give up their animal. There are so many elderly people /poor people, with not much money, so long as they have a loving home, i dont think lack of money should be a reason to give them up. unless its a serious situation. Even then, they can do their best to find a low cost vet, or ask for money from loved ones.

i myself have had to beg family for money for the vet a time or two. i dont have much money, but i could never give up my cat.

its why i've started saving up money for emergencies, so i wont need others to help. =)

ive always thought there should be emergency places for people with no money to take their pets to. 

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awesome post, i really enjoyed reading it. =)

One thing tho, since there are so many cats being put down, i dont think someone who cant afford medical expenses should give up their animal. There are so many elderly people /poor people, with not much money, so long as they have a loving home, i dont think lack of money should be a reason to give them up. unless its a serious situation. Even then, they can do their best to find a low cost vet, or ask for money from loved ones.

i myself have had to beg family for money for the vet a time or two. i dont have much money, but i could never give up my cat.

its why i've started saving up money for emergencies, so i wont need others to help. =)

ive always thought there should be emergency places for people with no money to take their pets to. 
I agree, if you truly love the animal, you will find a way to get it the medical care it needs.

I was talking about the people who know their animals need medical care, but refuse to provide it due to lack of funds, and they don't even try to raise the money or look for low cost services. They just say "Well I can't afford to take them to the vet. So they're not going to the vet." At that point, it's really not in the pet's best interest to stay with it's current owner.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, if you truly love the animal, you will find a way to get it the medical care it needs.

I was talking about the people who know their animals need medical care, but refuse to provide it due to lack of funds, and they don't even try to raise the money or look for low cost services. They just say "Well I can't afford to take them to the vet. So they're not going to the vet." At that point, it's really not in the pet's best interest to stay with it's current owner.
thanks for responding. i didnt realize people did things like that. 

thats horrible.
 why do people adopt pets if they have no interest in taking care of them? it always confuses me.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks for responding. i didnt realize people did things like that. :argh:

thats horrible. :(  why do people adopt pets if they have no interest in taking care of them? it always confuses me.
Yep, and unfortunately, it happens all the time. Especially in hoarding situations. It's the number one excuse animal hoarder's use when asked how they ended up with so many animals "oh well it started out with 2 or 3 cats but I couldn't afford to take them to the vet and get them fixed. So they just kept having kittens."

My uncle is a vet and he has seem countless animals come in that were pulled from hoarder houses. They are usually not spayed or neutered, and many, many of them have upper respiratory infections, many of the kittens die of distemper and upper respiratory infections because they don't receive vaccinations. All of them are usually infested with fleas and tapeworms, or mange. And they are usually noticeably underweight.

People in situations like that, are usually too embarrassed or are too in denial about their pet's medical needs to seek help or try to re-home their animals.

But also there are families that are low-income that have pets. And they ignore their pet's medical needs because they don't have the funds to pay for proper medical care.

My uncle told me that once he had to treat a husky that taken from his home by the ASPCA. He was chained to a pole in the yard. He was wearing a collar that was puppy- sized and was cutting into his neck. His neck was so infected that there were maggots growing on him. He had a broken front leg that the owners tried to bind with chopsticks and an ace bandage. The leg hadn't been set right, and was sverely swollen and infected. He had to have his leg amputated. And his collar was so embedded that it had to be cut off, almost surgically. He said his leg could have been saved if they had just surrendered him or taken him to the vet earlier. The break wasn't a bad one, but they allowed it to go un-treated and it got infected.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, and unfortunately, it happens all the time. Especially in hoarding situations. It's the number one excuse animal hoarder's use when asked how they ended up with so many animals "oh well it started out with 2 or 3 cats but I couldn't afford to take them to the vet and get them fixed. So they just kept having kittens."

My uncle is a vet and he has seem countless animals come in that were pulled from hoarder houses. They are usually not spayed or neutered, and many, many of them have upper respiratory infections, many of the kittens die of distemper and upper respiratory infections because they don't receive vaccinations. All of them are usually infested with fleas and tapeworms, or mange. And they are usually noticeably underweight.

People in situations like that, are usually too embarrassed or are too in denial about their pet's medical needs to seek help or try to re-home their animals.

But also there are families that are low-income that have pets. And they ignore their pet's medical needs because they don't have the funds to pay for proper medical care.

My uncle told me that once he had to treat a husky that taken from his home by the ASPCA. He was chained to a pole in the yard. He was wearing a collar that was puppy- sized and was cutting into his neck. His neck was so infected that there were maggots growing on him. He had a broken front leg that the owners tried to bind with chopsticks and an ace bandage. The leg hadn't been set right, and was sverely swollen and infected. He had to have his leg amputated. And his collar was so embedded that it had to be cut off, almost surgically. He said his leg could have been saved if they had just surrendered him or taken him to the vet earlier. The break wasn't a bad one, but they allowed it to go un-treated and it got infected.
Stories like that absolutely break my heart. I deeply wish people could understand part of being a good pet owner is knowing when their level of care is actually neglect. I'm sure most people absolutely hate surrendering a beloved pet, but it's better than making an animal suffer because some one can not provide a decent standard of care and instead of loving that pet selflessly, they just make excuses, the problem continues, and the pet suffers.

During a financial hardship after I just exhausted my bank account moving, one of my cat's got really, really sick. I'm fairly sure it was caused by cheap cat food, but that's not my point. The cat was sick and I was faced with having to choose to surrender my cat to save his life or risk him dying. He is a good cat and he didn't deserve to die. I started making phone calls to get him help, but I must be really lucky because I found a great vet that would treat him and I could make payments.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thats horrible, it makes me sick to think there are people like that who have pets. there should be more severe punishments for people that abuse animals.  

i remember seeing a video on youtube once on a hoarder that had so many cats, they would die and she wouldnt notice. it was disturbing to watch.