Itching cat

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 1 cat that has stress induced over grooming. Well our other cat 1.5 has been itching like crazy the past few days and I can't figure out why, I have been checking for fleas, no, I don't see any redness. Their food has not change, wet food only and a variety of instinct, OMG and Merrick. The only thing I can narrow it down Too is that I took their litter robot outside and deep cleaned it, I used ivory dish soap. The litter is a litter that we had in the house but I don't think I had been used for a few months.
The only reason I am thinking its the litter robot is because she is mostly itching on her legs, and occasionally the belly. I haven't used any new cleaners. But I may be completely off. They are strictly indoor and we don't have other pets but 2 birds.
I read that cats can get mites , can you see mites?
I have to bring our other cat to the vet because she is over grooming her neck again because our daughter visited and left. He always checks for fleas, and swabs the area to see if its something else. I will tell him about Rosie he will probably want to see her too.

Should I give them a bath? I have never bathed them and I'm not sure how that will go lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would not bathe them at this point. See what happens when you take your one cat to the vet - maybe even take both of them at the same time. If there are mites, the vet will be able to tell.

Meanwhile, maybe reclean the litter robot with something other than Ivory dish soap, especially if you hadn't previously used it. I am not familiar with the litter robots, but, if possible, rinse it with boiling water as that acts as a sterilizer. Also, perhaps use 'new' litter, again particularly if what you used this time is different than the usual one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not bathe them at this point. See what happens when you take your one cat to the vet - maybe even take both of them at the same time. If there are mites, the vet will be able to tell.

Meanwhile, maybe reclean the litter robot with something other than Ivory dish soap, especially if you hadn't previously used it. I am not familiar with the litter robots, but, if possible, rinse it with boiling water as that acts as a sterilizer. Also, perhaps use 'new' litter, again particularly if what you used this time is different than the usual one.
I made a appt for Monday, they wanted to see both cats. I changed out the litter and wiped down the litter robot. I wonder if you should use flea meds even if they don't got outside? I hope they can figure out whats going on.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of people use flea medications even if their cats are indoors only. I'm not sure where you're located, but where I'm at, the flea population tends to explode this time of year.
It's good that you re-washed the litter box. Are you positive the litter you're using is unscented?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made a appt for Monday, they wanted to see both cats. I changed out the litter and wiped down the litter robot. I wonder if you should use flea meds even if they don't got outside? I hope they can figure out whats going on.
My cat is indoor only and has gotten fleas - but only after being in the same house for 15 years. I think the fleas have gotten worse in recent years. So, she is on a flea treatment. It is likely to have fleas 'hitch-hike' a ride inside on your clothing/shoes anytime you are outdoors.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is indoor only and has gotten fleas - but only after being in the same house for 15 years. I think the fleas have gotten worse in recent years. So, she is on a flea treatment. It is likely to have fleas 'hitch-hike' a ride inside on your clothing/shoes anytime you are outdoors.
Ugh , I will talk to the vet about it on Monday. I have been extremely careful with anything I use on the cats ,since Twink has been cured of FiP. I know its probably over worrying , but she is very sensitive , to stress, to scent, food everything. Are there flea treatments safer than others?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are there flea treatments safer than others?
I personally consider Advantage II and Frontline Plus to be the 'safest'. I say that because they are about the only two that aren't absorbed into the bloodstream, and both have been around a long time. That is not to say that some cats might have skin reactions to these - but that applies to just about any topical. Knock on wood - my cat has never had any kind of reaction with Advantage II. However, I also believe that these two products may be less effective than some of the others - at least in some areas/regions.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally consider Advantage II and Frontline Plus to be the 'safest'. I say that because they are about the only two that aren't absorbed into the bloodstream, and both have been around a long time. That is not to say that some cats might have skin reactions to these - but that applies to just about any topical. Knock on wood - my cat has never had any kind of reaction with Advantage II. However, I also believe that these two products may be less effective than some of the others - at least in some areas/regions.
Agreed. I try to stay with the stuff that's been on the market for a long time.
I would stay away from Hartz, etc., as they don't always have the best track record. 😥

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T Twinkster how did the vet appointment go?
They could find nothing wrong with her. He said her skin looked good, no fleas, no bites, nothing looked wrong. Its behavioral. He did end up putting Twink on Atopica, he said that giving her steroids to much is not good. We have to start every day and taper down the lowest dose that works for her. He suggested CBD before we know something will happen ( like our daughter visiting and then leaving again) to see if that helps her, if not we will revisit that. He did not want to put her on something everyday right now, since it doesn't happen all the time.
Rosie's itching has decreased since changing out the litter in the litter robot. Who knows maybe the litter was just dustier since it was the end of the bucket.
I always wonder if the vets talk about me after I leave lol am I the crazy pet owner who brings my animals to the vet too much.
Both cats DID so good. I was worried about Rosie because she has only been to the vet a few times in her life.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats great that since cleaning and changing the litter Rosie has been getting better.

What I don't understand is if the vet thought it was only behavioral why put her on Atopica.. I think the vet suspects she has some skin allergies I'll attach a link about cyclosporine for you to take a look at. It is very informative.

Also I think it is great you take them in for things that you notice no matter how big or small it may seem to someone else, it is a concern you have. That just shows you care about your kitties and want to make sure they are healthy. I'm the same way
I'm glad they both did good at their appointment.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats great that since cleaning and changing the litter Rosie has been getting better.

What I don't understand is if the vet thought it was only behavioral why put her on Atopica.. I think the vet suspects she has some skin allergies I'll attach a link about cyclosporine for you to take a look at. It is very informative.

Also I think it is great you take them in for things that you notice no matter how big or small it may seem to someone else, it is a concern you have. That just shows you care about your kitties and want to make sure they are healthy. I'm the same way
He put Twinkie ( our other cat who went with us) on the Atopica, she has scratched and groomed all her fur off her neck . We have been twice this year for the same thing for her and he normally gave her antibiotics and a steroid shot. He didn't want to give her steroids anymore. He didn't give Rosie anything,.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He put Twinkie ( our other cat who went with us) on the Atopica, she has scratched and groomed all her fur off her neck . We have been twice this year for the same thing for her and he normally gave her antibiotics and a steroid shot. He didn't want to give her steroids anymore. He didn't give Rosie anything,.
Has the vet found any reason she may be over grooming and scratching so much? I hope the atopica works for her. Poor girl it's gotta be uncomfortable. Is she scratching to the point of bleeding?

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has the vet found any reason she may be over grooming and scratching so much? I hope the atopica works for her. Poor girl it's gotta be uncomfortable. Is she scratching to the point of bleeding?
Yes, she has scratched and licked it raw. We are Still in the discovering phase . Last time he did tests she had no parasite's or worms , we took fish out of her diet, next we are going to try and take chicken out next, and boy is that hard. It seems to happen once a month or so, my suspicion is its stress related. But I'm still really learning cat behavior, I don't want to be wrong and make it worse.
They both so far are wonderful cats.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Reading that it says not to get it on your skin, which of course did happen, the bottle was very hard to open. It doesn't say what will happens to humans if it does. I guess I will call the vet today. That article makes me nervous, I asked him specifically about side effects and he really only mentioned something about her gums.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading that it says not to get it on your skin, which of course did happen, the bottle was very hard to open. It doesn't say what will happens to humans if it does. I guess I will call the vet today. That article makes me nervous, I asked him specifically about side effects and he really only mentioned something about her gums.
The most common side effect is the stomach upset she should be fine. I don't know anything about not getting it on our skin as I didn't know anything about it until I saw it in the article. I have gotten it on my skin before with no reactions.
If she does have stomach upset she will go back to normal after a bit. A lot of meds have side effects that are mainly the tummy upset, even medicine that is for gastro upset can have side effects that make it worse.
Every medication has side effects that for the most part we don't even know about unless we look into the medication. The vet put her on it because he already weighed out the options she had already been ons antibiotics and steroids so now trying this medication. The benefit outweighs the risks. It is used for what your kitty is experiencing. If gastro upset does occur you can split the dose in half and give half in the morning and half that night. I personally have done this and it helped the tummy issues. I have gotten it on my skin and never had any issues. You can call the vet to discuss any concerns you have but I honestly think they are doing everything right. There have been plenty of people on this site who used cyclosporine including myself and nothing bad had happened to my fur baby.
If you look into any medication they all have side effects from mild to severe
That being said It's usually only mild side effects that do occur

Here is a link to 2 other threads on here and both seem to have good outcomes. It also worked great for us.
So go ahead and call your vet and discuss any concerns you have but she should be just fine. It is scary reading about all of the potential side effects for any medication.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The most common side effect is the stomach upset she should be fine. I don't know anything about not getting it on our skin as I didn't know anything about it until I saw it in the article. I have gotten it on my skin before with no reactions.
If she does have stomach upset she will go back to normal after a bit. A lot of meds have side effects that are mainly the tummy upset, even medicine that is for gastro upset can have side effects that make it worse.
Every medication has side effects that for the most part we don't even know about unless we look into the medication. The vet put her on it because he already weighed out the options she had already been ons antibiotics and steroids so now trying this medication. The benefit outweighs the risks. It is used for what your kitty is experiencing. If gastro upset does occur you can split the dose in half and give half in the morning and half that night. I personally have done this and it helped the tummy issues. I have gotten it on my skin and never had any issues. You can call the vet to discuss any concerns you have but I honestly think they are doing everything right. There have been plenty of people on this site who used cyclosporine including myself and nothing bad had happened to my fur baby.
If you look into any medication they all have side effects from mild to severe
That being said It's usually only mild side effects that do occur

Here is a link to 2 other threads on here and both seem to have good outcomes. It also worked great for us.
So go ahead and call your vet and discuss any concerns you have but she should be just fine. It is scary reading about all of the potential side effects for any medication.
Thank you! So far she has taken it just fine I mix it in her food and she eats it no problem.