Experiences with atopica

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, apologies if this has been asked before, I’ve just read lots of mixed things and wanted to try and find some up to date advice.

After almost two years of back and forth at the vets for various tests, as well as food trials, daily steroids, steroid injections, and a variety of creams and gels, I think we are going to try atopica for our boy.

Our vet has never seemed keen on atopica, but the steroids have stopped working as well, and from what I have read, the long term effects of steroids are no better than that of atopica.

Has anyone had any experiences of atopica they could share? Does anyone know if the effectiveness and long term effects are better or worse than that of steroids? Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have never used Atopica for any of our cats BUT I have long term experience with using it for one of our dogs. When a holistic approach and then steroids did not relieve or help his symptoms the specialty vet quickly went to Atopica. In my experience it was a life saver but that all depends on what illness is being treated. He remained on it for many years and although the dosage never changed the frequency of how often I gave it to him did. I hope this helps alleviate some of your concerns. 🤗

Here are several threads that might be helpful about using Atopica for cats:
Cat Changes
Atopica For Outdoor Cat
Difference Between Prednisolone And Atopica