Atopica For Outdoor Cat

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ive searched the threads so I apologize if I missed any posts that cover this.
My cat Cezare has been suffering from allergies the past 2 years. His worst are chicken/poultry foods and fleas. We’ve gotten him off poultry products and hoped that would help but his flea allergy is worse than ever. It’s winter (lower flea incidents) and he’s licking himself raw and bald and has little hot spots all over. I’m horrified to think what it might be like in summer.
He’s on Revolution every 3 weeks and doesn’t have a flea problem, but one bite can send his immune system into overload.
The doctor keeps telling me to put him on Atopica, but I’ve been so very hesitant.
As an outdoor cat, he comes into contact with all sorts of gross things, and lowering his immune response worries me. Also, I know it’s a small chance, but I’d researched that an outdoor cat on Atopica could possibly contract toxoplasmosis and even die. I had him tested and he’s never been exposed to the antigen so the vet says, yes, it’s a possibility but it is so very rare.
Does anyone have or have had experience with an outdoor cat on Atopica?
I’m at the point where I think it may be the only option left... but am worried about the possibilities.
Thanks for your help!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI! I do not have any experience for an outdoor cat - my cat is strictly indoor, with severe allergies to dust mites, storage mites, and some trees - she is on atopica. I do agree with your point about toxoplasma - very valid concern. Is there any chance you could convert your kitty to indoor only? I'm sure that's easier said that done...my 2 have never been outside. That's a tough one...not sure what to say. Atopica is pretty expensive, there are rebates but still....I would think that with fleas being outside and ticks that it would be a vicious circle.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
HI! I do not have any experience for an outdoor cat - my cat is strictly indoor, with severe allergies to dust mites, storage mites, and some trees - she is on atopica. I do agree with your point about toxoplasma - very valid concern. Is there any chance you could convert your kitty to indoor only? I'm sure that's easier said that done...my 2 have never been outside. That's a tough one...not sure what to say. Atopica is pretty expensive, there are rebates but still....I would think that with fleas being outside and ticks that it would be a vicious circle.
Yes, of course bringing him inside would be the best resolution, but not knowing his age, what your circumstances hare, how traumatic this would be on him, etc. that may not be viable.

So then you need to assess his quality of life as is, or if he does get a flea bite, with a "chance" of something happening if he takes the Atopica. Personally, I'd rather have a good quality of life NOW and take a risk of living a shorter lifespan rather than living a "miserable" life now. That's just me. And I'm speaking of myself, as a human. Who knows how cats really feel. I think they suffer just like us. And I know when I itch, it drives me absolutely crazy :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I know bringing him inside would be the best while on Atopica, but it really isn’t a possibility. He and his brother were feral rescues and though I originally tried to make them indoor kitties it was not possible. They are super depressed indoors and will just sulk and sleep and be sad.
Cezare is 5 years old, and yes I’m getting to the point where he’s so itchy and red I can’t see any other option than Atopica.
It’s not even just the fleas, though that’s his worst allergy. His allergy to chicken and poultry is super high as well as dust mites and storage mites.
I just wonder if anyone else has had success with their outdoor cat on Atopica or if I’m crazy for doing it. The vets keep pushing me toward Atopica, even though there is risk. His allergies are just getting so bad

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’d try the atopica. I can’t say it’s worked 100% for my girl. She’s also in allergy shots weekly and I still see her scratching though it’s much more controlled where she doesn’t make boo boos on her body. The dermo was against steroids. I have seen in another forum that others had good success using both low dose steroids as well as atopica every other day.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a professional clothing steamer and go around the house weekly and steam all of the carpeted scratch posts and places she likes to sleep the steam kills the dust mites and keeps things under control. I also vacuum a lot.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we’ve started the Atopica a couple days ago, so hopefully, in a few weeks I’ll have some positive news about how’s he’s doing. The vet said because of his symptoms, treatments we’ve tried, and how much worse it seems this time of year it’s probably a combo of the food allergies, fleas and mites, and environmental (since everything is starting to bloom out here.)
I have my fingers crossed!

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it’s been a few weeks and I’ve got food and not as good things to report.
First off- the good- being on Atopica has decreased Cezare’s itchiness so drastically. No bald spots, no more sores.
We had to go from using the liquid form to pills because he couldn’t tolerate the liquid.
Unfortunately, I think he’s not tolerating the pills either. He seems pretty uncomfortable and I think it makes him nauseated. He’s been acting a bit off, like he’s an old cat and not a 5 year old cat. Less playful, more lethargic.
And just yesterday his eye started watering pretty frequently.
He also sits like this a lot and he never did it before:
Don’t know what to do. Left his vet a message and just waiting to hear what our best options are.
I think if I were Cezare, I’d rather be itchy than nauseas all the time

Anyone else had problems with Atopica side effects?

Attachments

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the pills as well - do you give it with food? I give her the atopica down the hatch and then she gets breakfast right away. I'd keep up with it, being itchy with sores has to be horrible - I had a bout of hives and I was going out of my mind - the nausea can be controlled with other meds if necessary. I'd stick it out and hopefully it will resolve.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was told (and it says on the meds) it has to be given without food. Interesting that you been giving it with food.
Hopefully the vet will have some answers and options.
Thanks!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always given it with food without issues. I work full time so it would be impossible for me to give the pill 2 hours before breakfast time or dinner. The dermo knows this and was totally okay with it. I'd try giving it with food and see how it goes.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well thanks, perhaps we’ll do that.
I made him an appt with the vet today though, just to have him looked at.
He went from acting like a normal 5 year old cat to acting like an old cat in just a few days. He seems so heavy and groggy and his eyes seem squinty.
Cross my fingers it’s not something even more serious than him not tolerating his meds.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet is convinced it’s just the Atopica making him feel sick. So we’re lowering his dose from 35mg to 25mg a day, and to take it with food to help lessen upset. She also gave us a week’s worth of Cerenia (anti-nausea) to help him get back on track.
His eye was really runny and his nose a little bit too, but she said as long as the discharge stays clear, he likely just has a cold on top of feeling crappy taking his meds.
He’s a little bit better today, and let me pet him tonight while he purred away, even though he’s still sitting in a sad hunch.
Hopefully, by tomorrow he’ll be bright eyed and bushy tailed
I’m just glad he still has his ravenous appetite!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet said to keep atopica pills in the freezer and take it out right when you pill the cat to help with nausea. That's what we do with Zuzu and give it to her with no food. Luckily this has worked for her.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
weebeasties weebeasties thanks! We tried pills from the freezer and that didn’t do it. So now we’re going pills from freezer, feed him right after.
I really hope this works, because his skin irritation is so much better! No licking himself raw...
Now it’s a matter of getting him happy and not nauseated all the time.
The vet said, ‘we refer to him as Bubble Boy’. Sad he’s so young and allergic to everything

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry, didn't realize you had already tried the freezer trick. I really hope you find the right combo to make him feel better. Nausea vs itchiness equals a miserable kitty either way. Please keep us updated. I'm really curious about pilling atopica with food now. It would make my life so much easier! I wonder if it dilutes the potency of the medication at all? I'm going to ask my vet on our next visit.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
weebeasties weebeasties

As far as pilling with vs without food. The reason they want you to pill with no food, is because ideally they want the meds into his system quicker: freezing the pill slows the process, and giving with food slows it even more, so instead of a fast release the drug is now very slowly released into his system. (That’s my understanding of their explanation) which would be the best for a cat getting stomach upset from the drug.
Hope that explanation helps.

He seems a bit better today; instead of sitting sad, he came for a slow walk outside with me and asked to be petted softly ❤

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In case anyone is interested in follow up: by Sunday he was still too lethargic and not really doing anything but eating so I took him off the Atopica. By night he was 70% improved. By morning another 10%. Yesterday, he was chasing a butterfly through the yard and almost completely back to his extremely active abs playful self.
The only downside is that he’s getting itchy already.
Talked to the vet and we’re going to try daily prednisone pills. Starting with 5mg every day, and if after 2 weeks, he’s not itchy we’ll cut the dose in half. If after 2 more weeks he’s still not itchy we’ll go to the half dose every other day.
Anyone else have experience with prednisone for allergies and skin issues?
What dosage was helpful?
Any side effects or problems?

Thanks again everyone!
It’s great to have my buddy back and playful