Is this starving stray pregnant, or has she had her kittens?/ Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The 'steaming' thing reminds me of my old Woozie.. she was such a gorgeous girl but she had cat flu badly and it came on whenever she was stressed.  I knew steaming worked for me so I decided to give it a go with Woozie.  It worked wonders.  She also loved lavender, so I'd put a couple of drops in the steaming water and it soothed her even more.

One day I was giving her her treatment and some kids came to the door selling chocolate for their school.  They sniffed the air and said 'that smells nice' and I replied, without thinking: 'Yes, I'm steaming the cat'.

The look on their faces was just priceless.

Get well Thomas.. You're in very good hands..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

...One day I was giving her her treatment and some kids came to the door selling chocolate for their school.  They sniffed the air and said 'that smells nice' and I replied, without thinking: 'Yes, I'm steaming the cat'.

The look on their faces was just priceless....
@Mani, you made me laugh out loud!  That's hilarious. And I love the lavender idea.  I have some and will use it if Thomas comes back to me and still needs some steaming!  (I'll also take a chair and a magazine into the bathroom with me. Beats sitting on the loo lid any day.)

And thank you @peony   and @Mani  for your well wishes for Thomas.  I will pass them on with mine. 

Last edited:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 ...All my previous cats were my lap cats and slept with me and purred at me. I don't understand. They only come to me for food....
@Stewball, I've been thinking about your problem with your cats not being affectionate to you.  I wonder if a synthetic feline facial pheromone might work?  It's a made-made version of the pheromone cats use to mark their territory as safe and secure.

As my  foster boy Thomas was very nervous, the RSPCA gave me a spray bottle and a plug-in diffuser of  this pheromone. The brand was Feliway[emoji]174[/emoji]. I don't know if it's available where you are, but I'm sure there'd be something similar.  The diffuser used in the areas of the house where you spend most of the time might do the trick, and maybe spraying around the furniture such as chairs and your bed - even your clothes?  Just a thought.  

And don't worry.  Only the cats can detect it.  It has no smell that humans can pick up.  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thomas sounds as if he's in good hands. I hope he's feeling better soon. I've tried the hot shower/steam room idea with sick kittens before. I had 9 feral kittens with the 'flu a few years ago and the steam helped them a lot.

Feliway is great, I've used the diffuser and the spray. I always squirt it on my hands when I handle feral kittens to help them get used to me.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God bless Thomas. When I was a teen, my sister adopted a Siamese who ran out and got preggers with a single kitten. Thomas reminds me of him, so much do that I can't help but cry. He became my fathers cat, and lived to age 15. Had my father lived, no doubt, Junior would hAve willed himself to live years longer. [emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128549[/emoji][emoji]128549[/emoji][emoji]128549[/emoji][emoji]128549[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 ...Feliway is great, I've used the diffuser and the spray. I always squirt it on my hands when I handle feral kittens to help them get used to me....
Thanks @Norachan. I wouldn't have thought of spraying it on my hands.  @Stewball  , there's another tip for you.  You'll have your cats loving you in no time! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Stewball
, I've been thinking about your problem with your cats not being affectionate to you.  I wonder if a synthetic feline facial pheromone might work?  It's a made-made version of the pheromone cats use to mark their territory as safe and secure.

As my  foster boy Thomas was very nervous, the RSPCA gave me a spray bottle and a plug-in diffuser of  this pheromone. The brand was Feliway[emoji]174[/emoji]. I don't know if it's available where you are, but I'm sure there'd be something similar.  The diffuser used in the areas of the house where you spend most of the time might do the trick, and maybe spraying around the furniture such as chairs and your bed - even your clothes?  Just a thought.  

And don't worry.  Only the cats can detect it.  It has no smell that humans can pick up.  :)
I. Have the spray.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Checkers  thanks for the update on Thomas. I will also send positive vibes his way. I hope he will be well soon and back with you if you are able to take him.

@Stewball  I wish I could offer more help on your cat issue. I live in the house with my DD and BF and I am the only one who takes care of the kitties. Luci is actually my DD but they aren't close. She is not one to be loved and petted on. Sammy is just the "house" cat. He comes around when he wants loving, which isn't much. They are happy just laying on their table or the top of the cabinet watching everyone in the house.

I don't have one anymore that is actually mine, but that's alright because I'm not ready to get close to another cat yet. I have come to the conclusion that some cats just don't like to be loved on and others are complete lap cats. I was lucky enough to have 2 such cats. Maybe one day I will have another but right now it's just too soon.

Good luck.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Checkers
 thanks for the update on Thomas. I will also send positive vibes his way. I hope he will be well soon and back with you if you are able to take him.

@Stewball
 I wish I could offer more help on your cat issue. I live in the house with my DD and BF and I am the only one who takes care of the kitties. Luci is actually my DD but they aren't close. She is not one to be loved and petted on. Sammy is just the "house" cat. He comes around when he wants loving, which isn't much. They are happy just laying on their table or the top of the cabinet watching everyone in the house.

I don't have one anymore that is actually mine, but that's alright because I'm not ready to get close to another cat yet. I have come to the conclusion that some cats just don't like to be loved on and others are complete lap cats. I was lucky enough to have 2 such cats. Maybe one day I will have another but right now it's just too soon.

Good luck.
But they are loving and sort of lap cats. To my ex. Makes me so cross.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cats need steaming, I just take them into the bathroom while my DH showers.  I take my shower later in the day and take them in a 2nd time.  But I remember those long boring hours steaming my kids in the middle of the night.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update Checkers, all my best to Thomas' recovery!!
Thanks @mazie  !  I think I'll ring tomorrow to see how he's going.
When my cats need steaming, I just take them into the bathroom while my DH showers. I take my shower later in the day and take them in a 2nd time...
That's smart. I wouldn't have thought of doing that until the vet suggested it. And it certainly helped. I thought the alternative suggestion, of putting the cat in a cage with the hot water outside the cage and a cover over both, while probably more effective would be a bit stressful on the cat.  Maybe I was just being overprotective.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It really depends on the cat.  I could do absolutely anything to Woozie and she would just gaze at me adoringly. 
  But cats don't mind enclosed spaces and I found it really was far more efficient than the bathroom thing.  You'd need to be really careful with Thomas, but then you know that.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cat. I could do absolutely anything to Woozie and she would just gaze at me adoringly.
But cats don't mind enclosed spaces and I found it really was far more efficient than the bathroom thing. You'd need to be really careful with Thomas, but then you know that.
Thanks @Mani   My reluctance to do that to Thomas (i.e. put him in a cage beside hot water and cover both) was due to his nervousness in his new environment at my place, especially while he was sick. He really doesn't like the cage and meows when he's in it. But then again, the cage has meant car travel in my short time with him, and he's been very vocal in the car.

If I get him back and he still needs steaming, I will definitely give it a go and stay with him and talk to him until he's settled.

How long were your steaming sessions with Woozie?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

If I get him back and he still needs steaming, I will definitely give it a go and stay with him and talk to him until he's settled.

How long were your steaming sessions with Woozie?
She used to fall asleep in the carrier, so I left her there..
  I'd remove the cover, though, as it gets a bit sticky in there as it cools down.  But really, as long as there's steam.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cat.  I could do absolutely anything to Woozie and she would just gaze at me adoringly.  :lol3:   But cats don't mind enclosed spaces and I found it really was far more efficient than the bathroom thing.  You'd need to be really careful with Thomas, but then you know that. :)
I wish you'd tell blighty that cats like small places then maybe he'd let me put him in the carrier. I have to keep cancelling appointments wit the vet, who just laughs. She's quite willing to come here but he does a good. Disappearing act bb

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh @Norachan
, that poor cat. How wonderful you savedhim. What a transformation.  Thomas is on a worming program. I suspect he may have something wrong with his teeth too, as you can hear them clunking when he closes his mouth after a yawn.  

Again, your post is very encouraging. :)
When my late gentle yawned she'd snap her teeth shut with the accompanying noise.
She's also sit by my head when I was in bed and given a big outward sniff of disapproval. She was a vs cream

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish you'd tell blighty that cats like small places then maybe he'd let me put him in the carrier
@Stewball, do you have a top-opening carrier?   The refuge gave me an end-opening carrier with Thomas and it was impossible to get him in. Comical, really.

I used my own top-opening carrier and if I was quick putting him in and putting the lid down, he settled.  I then covered the cage with a large piece of material which settled him down as he couldn't see out.

My last cat (which I had for 17+ years) was a very big boy and I used a top-opening cane fishing basket which gave him plenty of room.

I'm wondering too if you could have success placing a towel over Blighty to constrain him while you put him in the cage?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've had cats that turned into clawed octupi when they saw the carrier. For those I would put the carrier on its end with the wide open door on top and just drop the cat in, swiftly close and lock the door and then put the carrier upright. Hardly ever had any problems. The three I have now just go in by themselves, sometimes they need a little push and that's it. Maybe it's because the carriers I have are all meant for shipping and thus are very large, I can put a small litter box in there and they all still have room to lie down on the folded blanket I keep in there, even my big 19 lb Panthera.  I feel so sorry for all of you whose cats have such a dislike for the carrier. 

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had cats that turned into clawed octupi when they saw the carrier...
Love it!

...the carriers I have are all meant for shipping and thus are very large, I can put a small litter box in there and they all still have room to lie down on the folded blanket I keep in there, even my big 19 lb Panthera....
That's a great idea Segelkatt. A feline caravan. Might be worth a try, @Stewball  ?

Status
Not open for further replies.