Is This Spraying Or Possibly Anal Gland Expression? Thought Appreciated?

avarens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have two male, neutered cats, ages ~8 months (DSH, named Poe) and 1yr2mo (Ragdoll, named Fizzgig). Both cats get along very well, groom each other, sleep together, play and spar with their bellies up. They share the house equally, but Poe has picked a walk in utility closet as his personal space, and Fizzgig enjoys the bathroom across the hall from the utility closet as his. However, about 1.5 months ago, we started noticing a very musky odor in the hallway at these two rooms, and periodically in our bedroom. We assumed Poe was coming of age and marking territory, although it did not smell of urine and we see no signs or stains, nor does the smell always last. But the smell is Potent. Neither cat smells badly themselves. We've noticed lately the smell is strongest when they are playing/sparring/running through the house after each other. Fizzgig is pretty laidback, but enjoys a good play at certain times of the day. Poe, is excitable all the time. Some research has led to possible anal gland excretion because of excitement? or maybe it is spraying?

We feed them both a little dry food (Merrick Limited Ingredient/Grain Free Chicken) and wet food twice a day (Crave Grain Free Turkey). Poe wants nothing but wet food, Fizzgig prefers dry. Stools look normal, but Poe's are much smaller, but so is he lol. Both got an A+ physical at last vet. We are planning another trip to the vet to get this sorted out, but in the meantime, and info or thoughts are appreciated!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spray is urine. It would smell like urine, and seeing that they're both neutered, it wouldn't be particularly musky. So probably not.

Anal gland discharge usually smells a bit fishy/skunky. But I suppose individual cats could have different smells. You could have the vet check to see if their anal glands need emptying.

Last edited:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Agree with Willowy...spraying is urine. I have a female that sprays.
I don't know what that odor might be. The anal gland smell is really bad, not just musky but BAD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avarens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm...Good to know. I know it doesn't smell like urine, and thank goodness for that. Spraying seems like a difficult force of nature to combat, but this odor is definitely unpleasant and potent when they are active.

We have a vet visit set up for Friday, so we will know soon enough. Hopefully an easy fix, as they both seem healthy and active. Just wish I knew now! Thanks for the replies :)