Is this spay wound infected?

Abhgardner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y’all,

I got my 3 year old cat spayed December 2nd and had her stitches (unfortunately my vet doesn’t use dissolvable stitches) removed yesterday, December 14th. The vet tech who removed them assured me twice that it looked fine. However, I looked today and I’m worried it’s infected. What do y’all think?

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: It is only natural for a loving, protective cat guardian to be concern but to me, the incision looks fine. Infection shows an angry red, often with a raised ridge. I don't see any of that. You did the right thing getting your cat spayed - please keep us updated with how things are going. Usually, after those pesky hormones subside, the kitten-side of their personality comes out.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It's difficult to tell from the photos, since her fur has already grown over certain spots...and is blocking the spay incision.
But your second photo looks to be a bit too open...towards the top.
After two weeks, I would have thought that the spay incision would be further closed.

Do you notice any white or yellowish discharge, within the spay incision,...or coming from it?
(that would indicate infection)

If she were my cat, I would email or text the photos, along with any more clearer photos...to the actual Vet.
And have the actual Vet look at them...and tell you what they think.
Also ask the Vet, if you can put anything on the spay incision site...to clean it.
Mega healing vibes sent to your cat...and please update.:bluepaw:

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like the incision has closed fine, but the skin is irritated. I would not say it is infected meaning a serious issue at this time, but some inflammation, especially given it has been so long. She is probably licking it, even if you have not noticed it.

If I was in your position, I would consult with the vet. The vet will probably advise to put some treatment on it, clean it, and suggest a cone though I do not think it is needed due to the inner area being healed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abhgardner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There’s a small hole where it looks dark. I just put a cone on her and will be cleaning it twice a day with sterile saline wound wash and covering it with gauze so no bacteria gets in it. I appreciate your input! If it doesn’t look better by Monday I’ll definitely take her to the vet.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you by any chance in the States.
If so, ...it's better to consult your Vet before Monday...due to the holidays.
Just call and text or email them the photos.

After this much time, there should not be an actual incision opening.
I think that your cat may be having a reaction to the internal sutures...and that's why it's healing too slow...and too red and inflamed.
Please call your Vet and see what they say. :bluepaw:
And please update us, when you can.

Abhgardner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you by any chance in the States.
If so, ...it's better to consult your Vet before Monday...due to the holidays.
Just call and text or email them the photos.

After this much time, there should not be an actual incision opening.
I think that your cat may be having a reaction to the internal sutures...and that's why it's healing too slow...and too red and inflamed.
Please call your Vet and see what they say. :bluepaw:
And please update us, when you can.
I’m in Texas and I would like to get her to the vet asap, but a visit is $40 and I just don’t have that until next paycheck Thursday evening, and by then the vet will be closed for the rest of the week. 😭 I will for sure keep a close eye on it and keep y’all updated!

Abhgardner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m in Texas and I would like to get her to the vet asap, but a visit is $40 and I just don’t have that until next paycheck Thursday evening, and by then the vet will be closed for the rest of the week. 😭 I will for sure keep a close eye on it and keep y’all updated!
I can’t text or email them, I’m in small town Texas and they’re not fully up with the times, I did call them today and they told me to schedule an appointment and I will as soon as I can!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t text or email them, I’m in small town Texas and they’re not fully up with the times, I did call them today and they told me to schedule an appointment and I will as soon as I can!
Well, calling them was a good thing. :)

Wow, re-checks should be free...since all they are...are fast looks at the incision site. :disappointed:
Here, they don't actually always charge for re-checks...(but that was five years ago...so in these times...who knows).
All the prices seem to have gone up.

To make you feel a little better...at least the last photo you posted...does actually look like the incision hole is closing, slightly...more so than the other ones from before.
So if you carry on, with what you mentioned above...and keep an eye on it...keep a daily photo diary...then more than likely...in the next four days...it will be looking a lot better.

Thanks so much for your update...and all Health Vibes for fast healing...sent to your cat and you. :vibes::vibes::caticon:
PS. Good on you for getting her spayed! :thumbsup: and wishing your cat and you all the best.

Abhgardner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, calling them was a good thing. :)

Wow, re-checks should be free...since all they are...are fast looks at the incision site. :disappointed:
Here, they don't actually always charge for re-checks...(but that was five years ago...so in these times...who knows).
All the prices seem to have gone up.

To make you feel a little better...at least the last photo you posted...does actually look like the incision hole is closing, slightly...more so than the other ones from before.
So if you carry on, with what you mentioned above...and keep an eye on it...keep a daily photo diary...then more than likely...in the next four days...it will be looking a lot better.

Thanks so much for your update...and all Health Vibes for fast healing...sent to your cat and you. :vibes::vibes::caticon:
PS. Good on you for getting her spayed! :thumbsup: and wishing your cat and you all the best.
I really appreciate your input! I think it should be free too, especially since I asked the vet tech who removed the stitches twice if the incision looked normal a week ago and she assured me it did. If I don’t see any improvement the vet will definitely being seeing her! Thank you for the good healing vibes and Happy holidays!!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate your input! I think it should be free too, especially since I asked the vet tech who removed the stitches twice if the incision looked normal a week ago and she assured me it did. If I don’t see any improvement the vet will definitely being seeing her! Thank you for the good healing vibes and Happy holidays!!
I totally agree with you...that re-checks should be free...since it only takes them like two minutes to look at it. :einstein:
Happy holidays to you too ! :) :evergreen::santa::deer:🎅🤶☃ (I know there's probably no snow in texas. Here in ontario, canada...it's like 37.4 *F (3*Celsius)..:cold:...so I kind of envy you down there. :blush:)