Is This Possibly A Primal Instinct?he Has Done This

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have a simple question...my kitty, Rudy, sleeps all day inside his fabric structure, but as soon as the sun goes down..he switches to his non covered regular kitty bed. They both sit side by side on my bed...and, during the night, Rudy gets up and wanders, then comes back to his bed for a bit..then wanders again...HOWEVER, as soon as daylight begins, he switches to his covered house to sleep. I was wondering if this is some sort of “primal instinct” to be able to view all around while it is dark, then safely go into an area when the sun rises, that wouldn’t “allow” him to be able to see any dangers? He has slept like this ever since he got his first fabric house..never sleeping in it at night. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Rudy’s Mom

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, cats have an instinct to be active and hunting at dawn and twilight. There's a name for that, but I can't remember what it is. They will also move sleeping quarters to avoid predators, so what your kitty is doing is normal to me. Try playing with him during the day to keep him up a little longer.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are called Crepuscular Creatures.
I Googled and found this site that explains Crepuscular Cats.

Here's an excerpt: "The domestic house cat (Felis silvestris catus) is actually crepuscular, which means they are most active at dusk and dawn. Most indoor cats follow a very specific trend of dawn and dusk activity, rather than strictly at night. "
So that fits in exactly with Rudy's behaviour. :catlove:

BTW, Colourcloud Colourcloud , is that cutie pie in your avatar pic, Rudy?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
During the day, Ailish always sleeps somewhere dark. Then she's not so much a dusk/dawn cat, but a night/dawn cat. She does wake up in the late afternoon because it is time to eat. She's around sleeping and waking until it gets dark, and then she's out and about. She's up most of the night, although she does sleep on my bed sometimes for short periods. During the day she does not sleep in the open.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is to do with light - in many different ways. In my case, Feeby likes to sleep on the recliner with me during the evening. But, when there are lights on, she just covers her eyes with one of her paws, or buries her head facing away from the light. She doesn't do this until a light has been turned on in that room.