Is This Normal Kitten Behavior?

Rissriss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitten when she was 7 weeks and ive had her for a month now, she has slept with me every night since I got her and she bites me all the time out of nowhere a lot of times it seems like she's just trying to play but lately she will run up to me while I'm laying in bed and start biting my face while purring and then runs away again. She never draws blood or put a ton of pressure on her bites but when she nips my cheek and nose it hurts. Why does she do this? And how can I can get her to stop the random nipping?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS :wave3:

This is a very common behavior in kittens as they are in the growing stage and they go through several phases in their kitten life.

They are intrigued by movements below the sheets and also movements of our eyeballs while we are sleeping.

Whenever she does that, say a firm 'NO' and redirect her attention with a toy. Always have a few of her toys on the bed. Play with her and give her a good meal before bed time.

My boy use to do that when he was young but after awhile, he stopped.

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Same problem another poster had recently when the kitten is separated from the litter too young. 12 weeks is the ideal time - mom and siblings will have taught the little one when their play has gotten too out of hand. Be gentle, but firm and authoritative in your "no"s and briefly remove yourself from the situation to help the kitten learn that such behavior leads to no more play - because that's all the kitten thinks is happening.

Mimixx6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I go a kitten he is around a 9-10 months he dose the same to me when I first got him he slept in the corner of my bed with a fluffy blanket and he still has it now, at night he bites on his blanket then comes to me and bites my face and my arm then goes back and forth all night and sometimes he sleeps next to my back.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell her no, quiet, down or anything else that you can remember to use consistently and take her off the bed when she bites or gets too rowdy. After you have done it a few times in a row on the same night, you shut her out of your room for ten minutes or so. Then let her in and put her down again if she starts to bite but this time after you have done it a few times, you shut her out of the room for much longer period or overnight. Usually there is meowing, scratching and howling when you do this because the worst thing is to be separated from you. When you do open the door, no acknowledgement or cuddling, you just go back to bed and ignore her until she starts to act up again and then you start the whole process again. Some cats learn quickly, some take longer to learn that the only way they get to stay in the bed is if they behave. I am okay with toys in the bed but no biting, jumping on my feet, playing with my face or hair etc.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I faced this problem with my kitten I used to Squeak like I was in pain, not really loudly to scare them, but enough to make the kitten release and back off. Saying no and removing yourself as the other posters have mentioned will also help. You need to teach the kitten that biting you is not acceptable. Even after this, you may still recieve "love bites" from time to time. These are gentle bites that do not break the skin when a cat / kitten wants to reciprocate the petting / care from you. This may be acceptable to you e.g, in a calm environment when you are stroking your cat.

This shouldn't happen in play though, the most important things to maintain are consistency in your reaction and never introducing your hand / foot as a toy. Offer plenty of other options. Wand toys can bring a distance between you and 'play' toys to stop the kitten from associating you as a toy, and it is never too late to start this.