Is this kitten play too rough/aggressive?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help! I was so stressed a few days ago and now look at this!!!!! <3 Their first snuggle session. I'm so happy!
first snuggle2.jpg snuggle.jpg

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe! Kittens almost always become friends, but I'm not sure cuddling is as guarantied, so that is a nice surprise!

My four year old plays super nicely with our kitten, but they have been playing for two weeks and no cuddling! Jealous, lol

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My four year old plays super nicely with our kitten, but they have been playing for two weeks and no cuddling! Jealous, lol
(I'm kinda jealous, too, A ArtNJ ....I'm sure your fur crew will get to the snuggle stage...it's just if the older one lets the little one snuggle.):blush:
(My two 4.5 year old, cat siblings, ...used to cuddle all the time when kittens...and then I don't know when it changed. Probably the adult years. Now they act like room-mates or acquaintances, that don't really like each other, every other day.
Sure, they can eat together, and touch noses,...but then walk into different rooms.)

Thanks for your help! I was so stressed a few days ago and now look at this!!!!! <3 Their first snuggle session. I'm so happy!
View attachment 307116View attachment 307117
Wow. Those are awesome things to see. And wow...was that fast.
So now the goddess of power Sati, has a loyal subject in Ash. Very sweet.:hearthrob:
I think Ash is going to be a large cat...but it's because his paws look huge. lol. (maybe that only applies to dogs. idk.)

(here was me thinking that Ash was named because he was the colour grey...(or is it blue..not sure of proper terms).
(and Sati...for satellite...since her markings are very unique, for this galaxy.)
Goddess and Nature...very creative.:clover:

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 307116View attachment 307117View attachment 307116View attachment 307116View attachment 307117
(I'm kinda jealous, too, A ArtNJ ....I'm sure your fur crew will get to the snuggle stage...it's just if the older one lets the little one snuggle.):blush:
(My two 4.5 year old, cat siblings, ...used to cuddle all the time when kittens...and then I don't know when it changed. Probably the adult years. Now they act like room-mates or acquaintances, that don't really like each other, every other day.
Sure, they can eat together, and touch noses,...but then walk into different rooms.)

Wow. Those are awesome things to see. And wow...was that fast.
So now the goddess of power Sati, has a loyal subject in Ash. Very sweet.:hearthrob:
I think Ash is going to be a large cat...but it's because his paws look huge. lol. (maybe that only applies to dogs. idk.)

(here was me thinking that Ash was named because he was the colour grey...(or is it blue..not sure of proper terms).
(and Sati...for satellite...since her markings are very unique, for this galaxy.)
Goddess and Nature...very creative.:clover:
a lot of people have been commenting on his paws and that he will be big! His mom wasn't big (met her with all her 9! kittens in their foster home), but no idea on the dad, so who knows. I'll just try to enjoy it while he's tiny!!!

I have heard that around age 2 they come into social maturity and relationships can change. So who knows how things will be later on. But for now it makes my heart happy to see them snuggle.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think it will be very cute, when he is older, and you'll still be calling him....Lil' Dude.:lol:
(9 kittens...wow...and I thought 5 were a lot. poor mom.)

Not sure if it is age 2 or 3 with the maturity part. I still think that female cats mature faster...but that might be just mine.
No matter what the age, they still tend to act like kittens...at times.
I'm sure you will have plenty of time to see them snuggle.
And the good thing is that Ash will learn from Sati.

The best thing is when our cats learn the meaning of the word..."no"....but tend to ignore us, anyway.
You know they hear you, and know their names...but act like you are talking to someone else.
It's amazing to see their stellar hollywood acting abilities.:blush:

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I think it will be very cute, when he is older, and you'll still be calling him....Lil' Dude.:lol:
(9 kittens...wow...and I thought 5 were a lot. poor mom.)

Not sure if it is age 2 or 3 with the maturity part. I still think that female cats mature faster...but that might be just mine.
No matter what the age, they still tend to act like kittens...at times.
I'm sure you will have plenty of time to see them snuggle.
And the good thing is that Ash will learn from Sati.

The best thing is when our cats learn the meaning of the word..."no"....but tend to ignore us, anyway.
You know they hear you, and know their names...but act like you are talking to someone else.
It's amazing to see their stellar hollywood acting abilities.:blush:
Oh my gosh, it was quite a thing to visit that litter and play with 9 tiny kittens!!! My kids were over the moon about it, it was so hard to pick just one to adopt. But Ash had caught my eye from the beginning. I'll attach a pic of the litter and when he was tiny. . .just bc they are so cute! I'm still in touch with the foster mom, it's been really lovely the whole experience. Especially compared to picking out Sati at the local humane society. .. I mean they do great work, but it was so impersonal. I loved how the animal shelter we dealt with the second time tends to work with foster families so the cats can be kept in a home and they really try to match the right cat to the right person. <3
This mama was a wonderful cat and had such a variety of colors in her 9 babes! (Don't worry she got adopted and all the kittens also got adopted so were able to go straight to their new homes after their surgeries.)

jibo.jpg litter.jpg really lil Bobo.jpg

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anyway. . .got really off topic there. . .but it easy to get carried away talking about our kitties isn't it!! :)

I hadn't owned a cat in more than a decade till we picked out Sati in August. . .so it's all fresh for me and I'm learning anew about cats and it's been super fun (despite the stressful transition last week!).

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
But Ash had caught my eye from the beginning
Caught your eye??lol. You must have really good eyes.:loveeyes:..because I'm not sure if Ash is the third one over, or fifth one on his mom....in the first photo.:blush:
And is he the far right one, in the second photo?
That is an amazing group of kittens. I guess Ash is the closest looking to his mom, then. Maybe.

At least in the third photo, I can truly see him.
What is he holding?....his own 'kitten knapsack'...that looks like a pineapple.?😄

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Caught your eye??lol. You must have really good eyes.:loveeyes:..because I'm not sure if Ash is the third one over, or fifth one on his mom....in the first photo.:blush:
And is he the far right one, in the second photo?
That is an amazing group of kittens. I guess Ash is the closest looking to his mom, then. Maybe.

At least in the third photo, I can truly see him.
What is he holding?....his own 'kitten knapsack'...that looks like a pineapple.?😄
well she also posted pics of each of them separately! haha There were two grey and white boys, a black and white boy, two ginger boys and a few all greys of both genders and one dilute tortie girl (so she was probably most similar to mom). The mom was calico--about 7lbs only, but also nursing so skinny. . .they think the litter may have had two dads. . .since there were so many kittens. But it's a mystery as the mom and all nine kittens were picked up by the shelter when the babies were 2 weeks old.

That is a crocheted candy corn! LOL. She was a fan of posting seasonal pics of the kittens and this was near Halloween. . .

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
anyway. . .got really off topic there. . .but it easy to get carried away talking about our kitties isn't it!! :)

I hadn't owned a cat in more than a decade till we picked out Sati in August. . .so it's all fresh for me and I'm learning anew about cats and it's been super fun (despite the stressful transition last week!).
I don't really think it's off-topic.:cloud9: We are still talking about Ash and Sati.
And where Ash came from, does help with doing the kitten-introductions.:wink:
Ha...from his background...I'm surprised that he was not the one fighting his way to the food dish, and keep stealing things, in your house now.

Yes, your kids must have had a blast of fun that day. I'm sure they tried naming them all.:)

I think we always learn new things about our cats each day.
I tend to forget things quick, and then am pleasantly reminded when reading other threads.
And no one can get enough of kitten photos, or kitten behaviour. It's the best.:bluepaw:

Yes, sometimes first-cat-to-kitten-meetings can be difficult and stressful. It's always the unknown factor.
But they are often less stressful than we imagine. Kittens know how to interact.
(We humans just tend to worry, and want things perfect. Or that's just me.:read:)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
well she also posted pics of each of them separately! haha There were two grey and white boys, a black and white boy, two ginger boys and a few all greys of both genders and one dilute tortie girl (so she was probably most similar to mom). The mom was calico--about 7lbs only, but also nursing so skinny. . .they think the litter may have had two dads. . .since there were so many kittens. But it's a mystery as the mom and all nine kittens were picked up by the shelter when the babies were 2 weeks old.

That is a crocheted candy corn! LOL. She was a fan of posting seasonal pics of the kittens and this was near Halloween. . .
Okay, when I enlarged the photos, ...then I could see the nuances of the colours.
I didn't really notice the mom cat having another colour...but now I see it.:agree:
(I could never do a job with attention to detail...I'm afraid.)

Sadly, I did not know what candy corn was. lol. :dunno:
(I had to go look it up. I must be old. 49 years...yikes 50 in three months...maybe.)
(I don't think we ever had that type of candy for Halloween. It must be a young person thing.)

Hoping that Ash got to bring his 'candy corn treat' home.
If not...then I hope you can knit.:blush:

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay here's a new development. . .we were playing with wand toys with both the kittens tonight. Sati usually goes crazy for this and does wild, high jumps. Well, Ash is more sedate with toys BUT when he catches one he growls if Sati comes near!! I have *never* heard her growl, but then she's never had another cat to compete with. She seems okay about it, just backing off and letting him play. But I want to be able to play with her too.
Is it pretty common for them to growl at each other in this type of play (not playing with each other but playing together with us)? Or is it just another learnign curve for the two of them? Separate playtimes needed maybe?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay here's a new development. . .we were playing with wand toys with both the kittens tonight. Sati usually goes crazy for this and does wild, high jumps. Well, Ash is more sedate with toys BUT when he catches one he growls if Sati comes near!! I have *never* heard her growl, but then she's never had another cat to compete with. She seems okay about it, just backing off and letting him play. But I want to be able to play with her too.
Is it pretty common for them to growl at each other in this type of play (not playing with each other but playing together with us)? Or is it just another learnign curve for the two of them? Separate playtimes needed maybe?
I have only ever heard my cats, and previous cats, growl over food.
And growl, if one had a treat, while the other ate slower.
Also, when one is sleeping, and the other wants to play, but the sleeper does not.

But it does make sense, that little Ash would growl, especially if he sees the wand toy as a bird, and when he catches it, then he figures it's his prey. In the wild, they would not share...and growl...so perhaps it's just instinct. Plus, Ash did come from a big group, who probably had to compete for mom's milk.

You could try separate play times, ....but only if Ash is always wanting to dominate the game.
Does Ash also growl at you, ...if you try to take his toy away?
If so, then you have to teach him that this is not acceptable. (Put him in a little time-out...if he growls at his humans.)

I think they should learn to play together in the same room, but he might be getting too hyper,
so you may have to calm him down, or re-direct to another game...like throwing a ping pong ball.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have only ever heard my cats, and previous cats, growl over food.
And growl, if one had a treat, while the other ate slower.
Also, when one is sleeping, and the other wants to play, but the sleeper does not.

But it does make sense, that little Ash would growl, especially if he sees the wand toy as a bird, and when he catches it, then he figures it's his prey. In the wild, they would not share...and growl...so perhaps it's just instinct. Plus, Ash did come from a big group, who probably had to compete for mom's milk.

You could try separate play times, ....but only if Ash is always wanting to dominate the game.
Does Ash also growl at you, ...if you try to take his toy away?
If so, then you have to teach him that this is not acceptable. (Put him in a little time-out...if he growls at his humans.)

I think they should learn to play together in the same room, but he might be getting too hyper,
so you may have to calm him down, or re-direct to another game...like throwing a ping pong ball.
Oh no he's never growled or hissed at us. . .only Sati. He's super gentle with us even if we remove a toy from him. So I think it's just his personality/dynamic with her and perhaps from coming from such a big litter and always competing for resources.

They've been playing together so well today!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic video! :biggrin:
(You're no where near a 'luddite'. More like a semi to professional videographer.
Excellent lighting. Excellent subject material. Excellent title...haha..."perk a boo".):crackup:

My 3 favourite parts:
  1. Ash turning onto his back...like a mechanic or plumber...trying to reach...something he can't fix.
  2. Sati's paw....left outside the hole....while Ash walks around the corner. :lol:
  3. the last part where we get a different view of Sati inside box, while Ash is reaching inside.
(Whew...so glad to hear that Ash has never growled at his humans.
My previous rainbow dog, also came from a litter of 9, so I got worried that maybe cats do this, too.)