Is This Common Behavior?

hrmilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been moving the food bowl closer to my chair little by little, trying to befriend a feral. I notice when I set the bowl further inside than is comfortable, this cat will sit at the garage entrance and wait for me to look directly at it before it will come inside. If I stare too long, it will, like I have read, tend to get more nervous and leave. So I'll meet its stare for a brief moment, turn my attention elsewhere, and it will maybe make it halfway to the dish before it repeats the same behavior. I'll meet its stare briefly again, and it will walk the rest of the way to the bowl cautiously and begin eating.

I just cannot find any reference to this particular behavior in anything I've read online. And many articles advise ferals do not like eye contact at all.
So I am wondering if this tactic of testing my reaction to its presence is an experience that many other people have had. And is it common in house cats as well?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello hrmilo, chances are that this cat is not a feral but a stray. A feral will not come inside your house.
Yes, same as house cats, constant eye contact means something like a stand off. Once you look direct and blink and turn away, it means a submission. Once the cat sees that action, he knows you have submitted to him and he is in charge.

That's why when you stare long at the cat, it becomes nervous and leave.

BTW, welcome to TCS :wave3:

There's tons of good informations and important articles here. Do rowse around the site and do introduce yourself to the community in 'New Cats on the Block' under the Social Forum and get to know more cats here. Also do update us the progress of getting this cat to eat near you. Are you planning to keep this cat of just feed it as he comes? Which ever way, it's good if you can to help this cat by getting it spayed or neutered so that there'll be no more unwanted kittens to be borned and cats getting into fights.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been moving the food bowl closer to my chair little by little, trying to befriend a feral. I notice when I set the bowl further inside than is comfortable, this cat will sit at the garage entrance and wait for me to look directly at it before it will come inside. If I stare too long, it will, like I have read, tend to get more nervous and leave. So I'll meet its stare for a brief moment, turn my attention elsewhere, and it will maybe make it halfway to the dish before it repeats the same behavior. I'll meet its stare briefly again, and it will walk the rest of the way to the bowl cautiously and begin eating.

I just cannot find any reference to this particular behavior in anything I've read online. And many articles advise ferals do not like eye contact at all.
So I am wondering if this tactic of testing my reaction to its presence is an experience that many other people have had. And is it common in house cats as well?
Sometimes we make things too complicated and try to read all kinds of things into something that is simple. To me it looks like the cat is just getting your permission to have the food. Often stray cats get run off by people who don't want them stealing the food of the others. This cat most likely has been run off by other people and is waiting to see if your going to tell it to get lost. I always talk to them and invite them. Slide the bowl in their direction and then back off and let them know they are welcome. It helps that the other cats are climbing all over me trying to get petted. Its like going to a strange house and being greeted and welcomed in for dinner instead of being told to get lost or I'm calling the cops..