Is this an infection?

Lonelysushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I got a few strays around my back yard that I'll put food out for them. One of them lately showed sign of these big red scar around the hinde of both legs, wondering if anyone can help identify if this is an infection I'd so... What is it? Gonna be hard to get them to a vet.... Still very guarded around humans
IMG_20200310_111330.jpg
IMG_20200310_111243.jpg

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Those look like open wounds to me, maybe even burns of some kind. Almost looks like he sat in something that burned him. Open wounds like that, especially burns, can definitely pose risk of infection if not treated.
I have no idea how to get a feral to the vet; maybe someone else will have some advise on that front.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi,

I got a few strays around my back yard that I'll put food out for them. One of them lately showed sign of these big red scar around the hinde of both legs, wondering if anyone can help identify if this is an infection I'd so... What is it? Gonna be hard to get them to a vet.... Still very guarded around humans
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

This wound looks very similar to my boy went he was rescued though his wound is not that big. Not sure how your kitty got this wound as I'm still figuring out how my boy got his.

It's best to get this kitty to the vet for an assessment and wound cleaning to maker sure no infections have set in.

My boy's wound closed up after a period of time without sutures. Just daily cleaning a few times a day to keep wound clean. The vet gave him saline water to rinse. Now his wound is closed and fur have grown and you won't know he had a big hole at the bum unless I told you.

Just make sure your kitty don't lick or bite the wound. With proper care, it should heal well.

I'm not saying that the wound is really same as my boy and also healing process takes different route for different cats so it's best to bring your kitty to the vet.

Do let us know the outcome after the visit to the vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You will probably have to get or borrow a humane trap like a Havahart and start feeding in it with the door secured open for a few days. Since the cat is injured, time might be crucial. Once he starts to eat from it, then set it so that it will close and get to the vet. If your vet is not big on walk ins, let them know ahead of time that you have this situation. It looks like a burn to me as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like road rash, like she fell and skidded on pavement. Check her claws, see if they're shredded. If so, she probably had a close call with a car! Otherwise she may have fallen or run too fast from a dog or something, although it's odd that the wound is on both sides.

Anyway, no matter what it is, she should see a vet soon. It doesn't look infected right now but wounds with a lot of exposed flesh like that are prone to infection.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's not an infection but it looks really bad, almost like she got burned by a car engine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lonelysushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if that's the case... Getting burned by something, cuz a bit weird it's on both sides and looks way too similar . I'll try to see if I can catch her to the vet... Not easy as I travel often and only see these kitties once a few weeks.

Thanks for the replies though guys!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a good relationship with your vet?

Kitty will likely need to be trapped as everyone has mentioned. Most county and city animal control/care services will lend out humane traps for free or for a refundable deposit. Trapping is very easy and there are a ton of people here who would be more than willing to walk you through the process!

However, if obtaining a trap is going to take a few days or the trapping itself will (like if kitty is nowhere close to going in herself on your first attempt and needs a few days to be acclimated to the trap), then - if you have a good relationship with your vet or can find another vet willing to do so by calling around - I would explain the situation and send photos to your vet to see if they’d be willing to go ahead and prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic that you can place in her food in the meantime until you are able to trap her and bring her in for proper evaluation.