Is This An Adverse Reaction To Cat Nip??!

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View media item 421531
OK, send help. I just can’t with these two anymore.
The Cat Site is so wonderful, but after this I can’t buy feel a little.... why wasn’t I warned about this??!! :bawling:
Ok, but seriously, I really want something that will work- you know- on the REAL cat! I did buy another brand that is supposedly great quality and she just doesn’t cat on this stuff. Since she doesn’t have the gene, is there another kind of herb anyone has had good luck with?
I was thinking of trying this:
SKE 4-in-1 Catnip-Alternative Blend (1 oz (28 g)) Also, please excuse my RSD ravaged hand. Yes, it’s as on fire as it looks...:fireblob:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
:flail:

Okay, now that I got that out of my system...

Have you tried silver vine? From what I’ve read, a higher percentage of cats (real ones) react to it. All three of mine love it, including the one who doesn’t react to catnip. Here’s the one I bought.

Your puppers could get a job teaching kittens how to cat. Good role model. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
:flail:

Okay, now that I got that out of my system...

Have you tried silver vine? From what I’ve read, a higher percentage of cats (real ones) react to it. All three of mine love it, including the one who doesn’t react to catnip. Here’s the one I bought.

Your puppers could get a job teaching kittens how to cat. Good role model. :)
I was reading about Silver Vine and wondered how it worked on “broken cats”, good to know!
Don’t tell him that! Anything he will teach I have a feeling isn’t “good”- or legal.o_O

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rotate catnip brands because my cat will sometimes not respond or eat catnip after eating the same brand catnip for a week or so. Yeow has been awesome. I feel after while, it loses freshness, so I buy smaller packets.
There is a blend of silver vine and catnip that I use. Initially my cat did not want it, but then when I crushed the catnip really well, it seemed that my cat could finally smell it and then ate it.
Pure silver vine made him go a little weird, and then after that incident he avoided silver vine like the plague.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rotate catnip brands because my cat will sometimes not respond or eat catnip after eating the same brand catnip for a week or so. Yeow has been awesome. I feel after while, it loses freshness, so I buy smaller packets.
There is a blend of silver vine and catnip that I use. Initially my cat did not want it, but then when I crushed the catnip really well, it seemed that my cat could finally smell it and then ate it.
Pure silver vine made him go a little weird, and then after that incident he avoided silver vine like the plague.
I have such a hard time understanding what people actually mean by “weird” nowadays that I have a cat. Weird like repeatedly crashing into the same place only to yowl in frustration and cracked cranium pain? Or weird like staring into space while all is quiet only to scream and then fall off the couch and manage no knock over things you shouldn’t be able to knock over at four pounds? Or.....
Well, let’s just leave the “or” up to your imagination at this point,
And we all know our cats have made us stretch that farther then we ever thought possible!
You know what though, what the heck! I’ll just throw caution to wind, I mean- how bad could it be??!
PS- Any advice about the dog??

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have such a hard time understanding what people actually mean by “weird” nowadays that I have a cat. Weird like repeatedly crashing into the same place only to yowl in frustration and cracked cranium pain? Or weird like staring into space while all is quiet only to scream and then fall off the couch and manage no knock over things you shouldn’t be able to knock over at four pounds? Or.....
Well, let’s just leave the “or” up to your imagination at this point,
And we all know our cats have made us stretch that farther then we ever thought possible!
You know what though, what the heck! I’ll just throw caution to wind, I mean- how bad could it be??!
PS- Any advice about the dog??
Weird as in behavior I have never seen him indulge in. I should have posted exactly what. He just jumped into my bathtub and started doing roll overs for like a minute or so. And then calmed down. Thats it. But I think that may have caused his aversion to Silver vine, because he stopped responding or completely avoiding it. And I tried two different Silver vine brands- same response. Perhaps he doesnt like the powder like consistency because he eats his catnip.

I am guessing the dog is curious and he sees you being amused by feeding him catnip, and I guess that is encouraging him to finish it? But I don't know how catnip affects dogs- with regards to risks. So I hope someone more experienced chances upon your post soon to offer advice.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weird as in behavior I have never seen him indulge in. I should have posted exactly what. He just jumped into my bathtub and started doing roll overs for like a minute or so. And then calmed down. Thats it. But I think that may have caused his aversion to Silver vine, because he stopped responding or completely avoiding it. And I tried two different Silver vine brands- same response. Perhaps he doesnt like the powder like consistency because he eats his catnip.

I am guessing the dog is curious and he sees you being amused by feeding him catnip, and I guess that is encouraging him to finish it? But I don't know how catnip affects dogs- with regards to risks. So I hope someone more experienced chances upon your post soon to offer advice.
Don’t worry I was kidding a bit about the weird behavior (meaning it seems everything I’m my life with a cat is weird lol!) and the dog? Well, I can’t imagine any expert on this good earth could have many answers about him! :)
I would have loved to have watched the bathtub incident, that’s sounds very funny!

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry I was kidding a bit about the weird behavior (meaning it seems everything I’m my life with a cat is weird lol!) and the dog? Well, I can’t imagine any expert on this good earth could have many answers about him! :)
I would have loved to have watched the bathtub incident, that’s sounds very funny!
OMG your doggie ahahaha.
The bathtub thing was hilarious. He was like, i need a cool bathtub to roll around in. After a minute he stands up and gives me a look of 'wtf happened and what was I doing in this bathtub'. The expression of surprise and incredulity was on his face until he saw me observing him and he gave me a look that was 'This didnt happen, you didnt see it, this is your imagination' and walked away.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try celery leaves. 2 of my cats go crazy for it. I read it has a similar affect (effect? I can't never remember which is which) as catnip.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG your doggie ahahaha.
The bathtub thing was hilarious. He was like, i need a cool bathtub to roll around in. After a minute he stands up and gives me a look of '*** happened and what was I doing in this bathtub'. The expression of surprise and incredulity was on his face until he saw me observing him and he gave me a look that was 'This didnt happen, you didnt see it, this is your imagination' and walked away.
:lolup:HAHAHAHAHAHA! I would be careful, he might not want to leave any witnesses, lol! You know how they are about their pride! He sounds like a proper royal making sure to keep up his proper behavior- and he slipped up, lol! He let himself act like a dog in the tub haha! Oh please get your camera out next time!! :popcorn:
I will be waiting! :hellocomputer:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try celery leaves. 2 of my cats go crazy for it. I read it has a similar affect (effect? I can't never remember which is which) as catnip.
Really?? That’s so strange- (and awesome!)
I’ve never heard of such a thing! It’s so neat that they can be so (harmlessly) effected by these little plants! :dizzycat:
Well, they sure do damage their pride when they get caught lol! Some are shameless hooligans, and some will just make sure you know you didn’t see anything...:bat:
I will try the celery, thank you! Do you know if your cats that like celery also like catnip?
I read that the reactions are specific genes, and that it’s estimated that 30-40% don’t react to nip, then a certain percentage of those will react to silver vine, and/or valerian and a specific type of honeysuckle. And often the ones that don’t react to cat nip apparently aren’t affected by some or all of the others, and valerian can either make a cat super happy and then immediately fall asleep after play, OR- they go a bit homicidal and you quickly learn that your life depends on them never finding the bag again lol!
Aren’t they full of surprises? I think that’s one of the most enjoyable things about them actually, you just never quite know which cat you're going to get in the morning when you wake up! :popcorn::seesaw:

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really?? That’s so strange- (and awesome!)
I’ve never heard of such a thing! It’s so neat that they can be so (harmlessly) effected by these little plants! :dizzycat:
Well, they sure do damage their pride when they get caught lol! Some are shameless hooligans, and some will just make sure you know you didn’t see anything...:bat:
I will try the celery, thank you! Do you know if your cats that like celery also like catnip?
I read that the reactions are specific genes, and that it’s estimated that 30-40% don’t react to nip, then a certain percentage of those will react to silver vine, and/or valerian and a specific type of honeysuckle. And often the ones that don’t react to cat nip apparently aren’t affected by some or all of the others, and valerian can either make a cat super happy and then immediately fall asleep after play, OR- they go a bit homicidal and you quickly learn that your life depends on them never finding the bag again lol!
Aren’t they full of surprises? I think that’s one of the most enjoyable things about them actually, you just never quite know which cat you're going to get in the morning when you wake up! :popcorn::seesaw:

huh valerian. interesting. Anyone used it and got a smiling kitty napping?

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
View media item 421531
OK, send help. I just can’t with these two anymore.
The Cat Site is so wonderful, but after this I can’t buy feel a little.... why wasn’t I warned about this??!! :bawling:
Ok, but seriously, I really want something that will work- you know- on the REAL cat! I did buy another brand that is supposedly great quality and she just doesn’t cat on this stuff. Since she doesn’t have the gene, is there another kind of herb anyone has had good luck with?
I was thinking of trying this:
SKE 4-in-1 Catnip-Alternative Blend (1 oz (28 g)) Also, please excuse my RSD ravaged hand. Yes, it’s as on fire as it looks...:fireblob:
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine i seriously need an answer to this???? :frustrated:
Whhhhhhhyyyyyyy???