Is This A Normal Hair Ball?

mozzicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat in March and he’s been throwing up hair balls like this every 3 weeks or so. I have never raised a cat before so I was wondering if this is what they can look like? Before throwing up he always makes loud gulping noises. Please help a newbie out

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, looks pretty normal to me, although throwing them up that often seems like maybe he needs to be brushed more often or given something to help move things down the tract. Hairballs actually SHOULD go out the back end if everything is running perfectly. Of course, most things don't work as smoothly as they should :wink:.
There are products you can buy for hairball relief, but a thorough brushing even weekly can work wonders, especially if they have medium to long hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mozzicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, looks pretty normal to me, although throwing them up that often seems like maybe he needs to be brushed more often or given something to help move things down the tract. Hairballs actually SHOULD go out the back end if everything is running perfectly. Of course, most things don't work as smoothly as they should :wink:.
There are products you can buy for hairball relief, but a thorough brushing even weekly can work wonders, especially if they have medium to long hair.
Thank you! I feel better now, I was scared it might be abnormal.
Unfortunately he doesn’t really let me touch : brush him - he’s a street cat and very anxious around people :(
His fur is also very long, i guess that’s why they come out that often :(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Couple times a week my cat throws up spit and fur. Looks just like that pic. I usually dont notice if since it blends in the carpet and the spit dries fast. Just some fur to pick up

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I feel better now, I was scared it might be abnormal.
Unfortunately he doesn’t really let me touch : brush him - he’s a street cat and very anxious around people :(
His fur is also very long, i guess that’s why they come out that often :(
OK, it he doesn't let you brush him (yet) you might try giving him something for the hairballs. Egg yolks are good to help with them. You can try giving him one or two a week, cooked or raw, but if raw, don't give him any of the whites. I actually give one of my cats THIS: EZ Egg Yolk plain as a snack and he loves it, but my other cat doesn't like egg yolks, so I have to sneak it into his wet food. There is also Vets Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid which might help. I buy it on Amazon and also give that as a treat when I remember. I break them up when I give them to my furkids. You could also crush them and sprinkle over his food. With a skittish cat like yours, giving treats might help him trust you more in the long run. There are also hairball gels out there that you could try giving him. I have found, however, that most cats do not like them and it's kind of a battle getting it in them. Some cats don't mind it though.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get discouraged. Sometimes it just takes a while for some cats to get used to the idea of being brushed, and/or stumbling upon the Holy Grail of brushes and combs that tickle your kitty's fancy.

One of our cats is a former stray, and didn't like to be touched that much when we took him in. So brushing him and cutting his toenails was quite a challenge those first few months! But now he absolutely adores getting brushed. So hang in there! :)