is there hope to socialize this feral?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an interesting development tonight. Her brother, who appears to have major blueballs and needs to be neutered, chased my girl up a tree tonight after stealing her wet food. I've never seen him so brazen.

So up she went into a short, easily climbable tree. She's always been a good climber and does this often to avoid other cats. I've never seen her avoid her own brother before, though. When I came over, she cried, the same sound I've heard my own cat make when she was scared and wanted my help. Eventually I shooed her brother away (had to do this several times). This startled her but I immediately made squinty eyes and kissy noises and trills, and quietly called her name. She squinted back a few times but mostly cried. I backed away slightly and made the soft noises again. I shooed her brother away again. Eventually I went and got her favorite treats, lifted some up for her to smell. She tried to get at them but couldn't, and again she cried. Her ears were never flattened, still no hissing. I put the treats on the ground and made the noises I always make to alert her to food. It took a minute, but some careful footwork later she was down and munching on her reward. After she dined on kibble, she flopped down on the ground like nothing had happened. Her brother watched from afar, playing innocent... :rolleyes:

I'm certainly hoping this helps her understand I (and most humans) are safe harbor and will protect her as well as feed her. If this had been my cat, she would have climbed onto me, something she did when scared, such as at the vet. But since this girl and I aren't yet at a point in our relationship where I can touch her, that likely wasn't going to happen.

I'm really surprised she didn't hiss at all while up in the tree, except when it was directed at her brother before I shooed him off.

Anyway... yeah. I really wish I had 2 traps, but someone is so getting fixed this Monday.
You certainly have built a bond with her. Trust. Fantastic.

Yes, don't fore attention on her, you handled it perfectly. Using food to encourage trust and make a positive association.

I am really impressed.

Yes, it is important to get them fixed. I would try to trap her if at all possible. The females are most important. We don't want other intacts coming by. :(

Good luck on trapping. Make sure they are very hungry so it happens quicker. Good luck!!