Is there anything that can mask "freezer burn" taste?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the whole self-isolating going on, I'm trying to use up as much as I can from my freezer and I came across a few meat products that are freezer burnt. I've eaten freezer burnt food before and I know it's safe to eat, but it does/can have "a taste" to it that is not great. I was just wondering if there are ways to prepare freezer burnt meat that helps mask the taste.
I will cut off the edges that are visibly burnt, but was wondering if the taste carries into the whole piece of meat, or is it just in the part you can see is burnt?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you referring to chicken, beef, pork or something else.

Is it a solid piece of meat or cubes of meat or ground meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One is a pork round roast, with "porketta" seasonings on it already, another is 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) and another is 4 small chicken thighs (bone in WITH skin).
I found them as I was taking inventory in my deep freezer....stuff gets lost in there sometimes...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You can cut away the freezer burned areas and a bit of the okay part just to make sure you get it all. Porkettas usually have seasoning rolled inside so removing the freezer burned section should leave enough flavor to hide any residual off taste. It would be better to thaw it and cut off the freezer burn before cooking though.

I really don’t know about the chicken because it has such a delicate taste to it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can find, you cut the dried parts off and then thaw it in water (or at least rinse it to get the ice crystals off, if it's ground meat or something else that can't be soaked). That should get most of the flavor off. And then use it for something heavily seasoned like chili, because it still won't taste the best plain. But it's not harmful at least.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, remove as much as you can, rinse then try stew, ckn & noodles, tacos, soup and as mentioned chili. Good luck and let us know. I'll be dealing with the same thing when I get into our freezer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...the chicken breast turned out perfectly fine.
I let them soak in water for a little bit, so the outside was thawed (but not all the way thru). They are easier to handle when still firm. Then I flayed the outer layers that were burnt, till I was looking at pink chicken. I dumped the original water, then continued to thaw the chicken in new water.
I used it to make chicken wraps, so I chopped it up and fried it with some seasonings. Nothing fancy, just some garlic powder, onion salt and black pepper. No gross taste whatsoever.
The wraps consisted of chicken, cheddar cheese, red onions, cucumber, olives (for me), and lettuce. I put some mayo in mine and hubby put honey mustard and miracle whip for his.
It all worked out great!
We'll see how things go for the thighs and porketta. For the thighs, I may be in luck and it's just the skin that's burnt, in which case I can remove the meat all together and just make a stir fry with it. As for the porketta, I'll only know what I'm dealing with when it's thawed and I start slicing at it. I checked the date of packaging....let's just say it's been a couple years! :paperbag: