Is there any way I can stop my cats from chasing my semi feral while she is being socialized?

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I have been socializing my semi feral with my other 3 cats for the past couple of months. We started with the door closed, then the door open with 3 baby gates stacked on top of each other, etc. We are at the point where they can all eat together peacefully. My semi feral girl is now starting to come out at the busiest times of day in the house when all 3 cats, myself and my dog are all up about which seems pretty brave on her end. Anyway sometimes she will sit out and the other cats will be fine but sometimes out of nowhere they will go to chase her and she runs back downstairs to her room. Im afraid if they don't stop she is going to regress and stop coming out when everyone is around. I have tried feliway and Rescue remedy drops. Its just strange because they will all be sitting there calmly sometimes and then all of a sudden they'll decide to go after her. Any suggestions? Thank you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming your cats are adult, it's territorial. Does she have anywhere she can jump up? I have a very timid cat. It took her a year to leave my bedroom. Whenever she sees my cat Maggie she jumps on my couch then Maggie walks away. I have wondered why Coco doesn't run back to the bedroom. I think it's because I am in the living room. She is usually on my lap or sleeing above me. If it is territorial and their adult, the cats are set in their ways. You could try clicker training

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She likes to jump up on the window seat or sit in the front window but when they chase her shes usually not close enough to the window to get up there. Does a clicker help if this is a territorial issue?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Only reason I wanted to train one of my cats to come when called is that she chases coco or bothers my cat peaches.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am in a similar situation with a semi feral I was asked to rescue 5 weeks ago from a very bad situation where there was an attempt made on her life. Things are progressing, but there is still a bit of hissing at times. She has not made friends, but I can see that there is some coexisting which is starting to show.

You have done a lot of the work of introducing cats properly, so I don't have anything to add except that in regards to Feliway (which I always swore did not work), I was tipped off that using the Optimum was much more effective. I bought the regular one first, spray bottle, and it did nothing; when I bought the Optimum in the diffuser, there was a difference almost immediately in the level of anxiety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you would you happen to know if the optimum refill is compatible with with original feliway diffuser?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That I don't know as I never kept the other Feliway products. It was years ago.