Is There Any Merit To "mature" And "indoor" Formula?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my understanding it's all showing me that the companies are just making it as less caloric as your kitty's metabolism slows down. I'm also seeing it as less protein. Are they supposed to be getting less protein?
I'm still feeding my girls kibble because they eat together and one won't touch anything wet, but I want to know that I'm still feeding them appropriately for kibble kitties. They do have two water fountains in the house and I feed them Nature's Variety Instinct chicken. I saw that they have an "indoor" formula that is less calories but holy cow it's $25 for a 5 lb bag. Then I looked up Petcurean and almost cried myself to sleep; It's $65.99 for 16 lbs. Their current bag is $35-40 for 12.1 lbs. I was also looking at Solid Gold's mature formula and it's FULL of fruits and veggies I guess as a filler and I know cats don't need all that. Nature's Variety is meat, meat meal, other meal, other meat meal, organs and like 1 line listed with fruits and veggies.
Yue is 8 years old and Amalie is 10. Yue is about 11 lbs and Ama around 9 1/2. Yue will be getting her teeth cleaned for the first time this summer and Amalie has had multiple extractions due to FORLs. They've never had a weight problem. Yue gets hairballs and sometimes she'll eat either too much or too fast and barfs.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, unless there is a medical reason (kidneys I think) then they don't need low protein. And for less calories, I just feed them less food lol.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Indoor, senior, adult, kitten, diet, etc are all gimmicks. As long as you feed your cat a high quality food its fine. In the wild all cats eat the same things (rodents, birds, whatevers). A lot of those special diets just have more fillers. With some cheap brands the kitten food is higher quality because you cant get away with feeding a growing kitten with mostly fillers.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If I compare Indy's food to the adult formula it looks almost exactly the same except the kitten one has more calories.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does say 462 calories per cup for both formulas. Looks the same.