Is There A Spray To Discourage My Cat From Scratching A Framed Picture On The Wall?

2kittiesplusme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My four year old new cat Blackie has taken up a new "fun" thing she does. She jumps up on the bookshelf, above which is a large, framed photograph behind glass. Blackie scritches her claws on the glass. I'm afraid she might knock the picture on the floor. She might get hurt, and the glass would break, of course. The size of the picture is over 3 feet by 3 1/2 feet. Is there a deterrent spray I could put on the bookshelf so she won't go there?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I'd put some large heavy decorative items in front of the picture so your cat can't get to it as a start. Likely, it is a behavioral thing to get your attention. There is no grip on the glass itself so it probably isn't for the physical sensation. So the next thing I'd do is setup a verticle scratcher (just in case it is physical) and start having dedicated daily play time. Between the two, you should be able to meet either the behavioral or physical drives.

Should your cat find it's way to the painting again or try to continue you need to be completely calm and indifferent about it. Just remove her without emotion and without a word. Move her off the bookshelf and ignore her. Literally like you are moving a pot in the kitchen. Don't acknowledge her for a good 30 seconds and then go back to normal. That will take away any attention she is getting from the behavior further dissuading her from continuing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2kittiesplusme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Personally, I'd put some large heavy decorative items in front of the picture so your cat can't get to it as a start. Likely, it is a behavioral thing to get your attention. There is no grip on the glass itself so it probably isn't for the physical sensation. So the next thing I'd do is setup a verticle scratcher (just in case it is physical) and start having dedicated daily play time. Between the two, you should be able to meet either the behavioral or physical drives.

Should your cat find it's way to the painting again or try to continue you need to be completely calm and indifferent about it. Just remove her without emotion and without a word. Move her off the bookshelf and ignore her. Literally like you are moving a pot in the kitchen. Don't acknowledge her for a good 30 seconds and then go back to normal. That will take away any attention she is getting from the behavior further dissuading her from continuing.
I've been saying NO really loud, and then she jumps down off the shelf. She has lots of scratchers, all over the apartment already. So it sounds like you recommend "neutrally" removing her from the bookshelf without saying No?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been saying NO really loud, and then she jumps down off the shelf. She has lots of scratchers, all over the apartment already. So it sounds like you recommend "neutrally" removing her from the bookshelf without saying No?
Yes. With the theory that she's doing it for attention, remove the attention and remove the reward. Cats are funny in that any attention can be rewarding for them. Its actually on of the theories about why cats knock things off shelves or tables; it generates a reaction. No reaction, no beneift and no point to continue..... In theory at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2kittiesplusme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. With the theory that she's doing it for attention, remove the attention and remove the reward. Cats are funny in that any attention can be rewarding for them. Its actually on of the theories about why cats knock things off shelves or tables; it generates a reaction. No reaction, no beneift and no point to continue..... In theory at least.
Well, that makes sense -- I know that for teachers, some kids will do "bad things" to get ANY attention. So it makes sense that cats/animals could be the same mind-set.