Is she close?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still not latching onto mom, now mom wont even lay down to feed her she just kind of sits near her or on top to keep her warm. Her teats look okay a bit engorged but not anything out the ordinary. If kitten doesn’t latch how long before she stops producing milk? Also kitten has had no colostrum from mom i worry for her.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
May I ask what Momma cat did or not do with the newborn kitten that prompted you to pick it up?Was she ignoring the kitten ?

Mommas often encourage the babies to nurse and if they don't.... well,I'm just a bit confused what transpired here,it's always best not to handle newborns as this can interfere .....I'm only asking because I don't understand if Momma can't or won't nurse or baby is having the difficulty latching on-isnt the Momma trying to motivate the kitten to nurse?....

I'm not saying your doing anything wrong I've probably missed something here.....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is tiny and needs syringing for now. Once she puts on more weight she will suckle from mom. Mom is confused. She’ll get the hang of it soon.

Will mom lie with her kitten and lick it?

Mom’s milk will not dry up anytime soon. Usually tinies will begin to latch in about 3 days of putting on weight from syringe feeding.

Do you think mom still has more kittens inside?

Kwik Kwik Kitten is very low weight and was not able to latch. It’s explained in earlier posts.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May I ask what Momma cat did or not do with the newborn kitten that prompted you to pick it up?Was she ignoring the kitten ?

Mommas often encourage the babies to nurse and if they don't.... well,I'm just a bit confused what transpired here,it's always best not to handle newborns as this can interfere .....I'm only asking because I don't understand if Momma can't or won't nurse or baby is having the difficulty latching on-isnt the Momma trying to motivate the kitten to nurse?....

I'm not saying your doing anything wrong I've probably missed something here.....
Kitten was born with low birth weight and unable to suckle.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is tiny and needs syringing for now. Once she puts on more weight she will suckle from mom. Mom is confused. She’ll get the hang of it soon.

Will mom lie with her kitten and lick it?

Mom’s milk will not dry up anytime soon. Usually tinies will begin to latch in about 3 days of putting on weight from syringe feeding.

Do you think mom still has more kittens inside?

Kwik Kwik Kitten is very low weight and was not able to latch. It’s explained in earlier posts.
Yes i have seen her cleaning the kitten. I will continue to syringe feed.
Honestly I don’t think she does have anymore inside. Her sides are back to normal and she hasn’t shown any other signs.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 & H Honey23
Thanks,I definitely was missing something -I'm having trouble with my wifi today and keep losing my place,kept trying to go back to earlier posts- uhhhh,figured it'd be much easier to just ask

Now I see where you were saying she's a bit antsy when you enter ,not too thrilled you're taking the baby- that's such a good sign with a teeny weeny,good to know she wants her baby is telling that the kitten is healthy

Btw-CONGRATULATIONS!And :welcomesign:to TCS-and welcome kitty to the WORLD

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
H Honey23 just checking in.. did sitting in the room on the floor with momma while feeding the kitten help with mommas I guess anxiety (antsyness)
How are momma and the kitten doing today?

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H Honey23 just checking in.. did sitting in the room on the floor with momma while feeding the kitten help with mommas I guess anxiety (antsyness)
How are momma and the kitten doing today?
I have been doing that but it hasn't really helped, shes tries to get her from my hands when im feeding. Mommas doing well otherwise eating using the litter box fine. Kitten on the other hand is now refusing majority of last 2 feeds, has also lost a gram and is not down to 60g

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.. keep a close eye on her (i dont know why i said that, i know you are lol) you may need to call the vet and see what they recommend. The the kitten refusing to eat is a big problem. Did that happen when sitting in the room with momma? If so go back to doing it the way you were before and see if that helps

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.. keep a close eye on her (i dont know why i said that, i know you are lol) you may need to call the vet and see what they recommend. The the kitten refusing to eat is a big problem. Did that happen when sitting in the room with momma? If so go back to doing it the way you were before and see if that helps
Yes it happened just today, she was doing well through the night. I will go back to feeding her in the other room as mom doesn’t allow me to properly when im in the same room. She also keeps trying to move her which means she doesn’t feel safe. I have closed the door for now so she can’t move the kitten.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just stimulated kitten and its poop was yellow and hard like a little ball. Could this be why she isn’t drinking her milk properly?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it could be the reason. Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding to keep things soft and moving. Kittens on formula do get constipated.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be the reason. Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding to keep things soft and moving. Kittens on formula do get constipated.
Will do, feeding not going great these last few hours. She’s starting to lose more weight. And mom cat keeps putting her baby in the litter box. I have removed the lid but she won’t stop, so i have removed it from the room for now.
I think she senses something is wrong with the baby as she won’t stop pacing the room and meowing.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen her do it but I don’t think she is alot of the times so i am just in case
Ok i wasnt sure if momma was at all its good that you noticed it isnt a lot and are doing it as well as to make sure she is peeing and pooping.
I would definitely recommend getting her seen by the vet as soon as you can. Her dropping weight and her not eating well are things that need addressed. And I wonder if momma does sense something is wrong..

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think the kitten has aspirated milk into its lungs?

Is it struggling to breathe, or do you hear clicking sounds?
Honestly no I haven’t seen it come out the nose or anything. It was actually doing so well I didn’t even need to push the syringe much it was latching on its own. And no its still active and moving around i haven’t noticed anything wrong

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok i wasnt sure if momma was at all its good that you noticed it isnt a lot and are doing it as well as to make sure she is peeing and pooping.
I would definitely recommend getting her seen by the vet as soon as you can. Her dropping weight and her not eating well are things that need addressed. And I wonder if momma does sense something is wrong..
My vets is closed right now but im contemplating taking it to the emergency vets