Is She A Smoke Kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THE PICS AREN"T LOADING...or not right now. I'll check back later. And there is no such thing as "kitten spam," only "kitten prime rib." As it were.
I hope the pictures work soon! :)

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope these pictures work! Just look at them!:hearthrob: and the black ones markings :redheartpump:

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy 3 weeks to these beautiful 3 they have gotten so big and beautiful!

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ not sure how familiar you are with smoke I'm still not 100% it doesn't seen like fever coat either!

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does this little girl look like fever coat? She was born black.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi sorry to jump on someone else's post

Sorry to jump on someone else's post does this little girl look like fever coat? She was born black.
I've seen your posts. I am not as sure in your case. Fever coat can develop shortly after birth in some instances. I was waiting for your kitten to get older before saying one way or the other. At this point it looks like ghost stripping to me and not fully developed pigment but little ones are sometimes so hard to tell with

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen your posts. I am not as sure in your case. Fever coat can develop shortly after birth in some instances. I was waiting for your kitten to get older before saying one way or the other. At this point it looks like ghost stripping to me and not fully developed pigment but little ones are sometimes so hard to tell with
Thank you i am not very familiar with fever coats only seen a few people with kittens born like it and it seems to be more obvious with the darker head and legs etc. This little girl was born all black minus some light around the eyes and lighter belly and it has progressed. They are 4 weeks tomorrow.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is her around 6 days she was mainly black except around her eyes. I've never seen or heard of fever coat appearing but I haven't had any kittens with it at all.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the kittens are 4 weeks today I've seen 2 have a lick of some water but think it was mainly accidental :D the little black girl is so loving I know we shouldn't have favourites but....

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I've searched a few websites and Google and yet to see fever coat not effect the kittens back is it possible to effect them underneath legs and face?

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was also meant to add this photo of her to previous post. Her at 10 days and today at 4 weeks is that colour change possible in fever coat?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fever coat can come and go... it's certainly possible to have fever coat show up in a kitten that was dark at birth, and I have seen this happen myself.
The best way to distinguish between fever coat and silver/smoke color is to look closely at the individual hairs.
  • A silver/smoke cat will have hairs that are white at the base, with color restricted to the end of each hair. The silver gene is dominant, so it will normally only appear in kittens that have at least one silver/smoke parent (or a white parent that is making silver/smoke).
  • A kitten with fever coat, on the other hand, will frequently have hairs that are light at the tip and dark at the base, or a mixture of light and dark hairs.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fever coat can come and go... it's certainly possible to have fever coat show up in a kitten that was dark at birth, and I have seen this happen myself.
The best way to distinguish between fever coat and silver/smoke color is to look closely at the individual hairs.
  • A silver/smoke cat will have hairs that are white at the base, with color restricted to the end of each hair. The silver gene is dominant, so it will normally only appear in kittens that have at least one silver/smoke parent (or a white parent that is making silver/smoke).
  • A kitten with fever coat, on the other hand, will frequently have hairs that are light at the tip and dark at the base, or a mixture of light and dark hairs.
And would fever coat only effect the belly and a lot but not on the back at all?
The dad is a blue smoke so it is possible it is smoke.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fever coat can affect any area of the body, and it can also appear in just a small patch (I have seen this happen). Fever coat is weird :)

If the father of the kitten is a smoke, then each one of his kittens has a 50% chance of being a smoke, and I think that's a lot more likely than fever coat, which doesn't happen very often.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting as every picture ive seen seems to be similar where the cat has it mainly on the body and not the extremities however I've never dealt with fever coat before so it's interesting to hear that. I would like to think it was not fever coat not because of the colour but the thought she could have been ill in the last 4 weeks as I've got noticed any illnesses with mum or kittens so I would feel awful if they were.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fever coat is mysterious... even though it is often associated with illness, it can also appear on healthy kittens. As long as the mother and kittens appear to be healthy in every other way, I wouldn't worry about them, even if it does turn out to be fever coat... but I do think smoke color is more likely, in your case.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fever coat is mysterious... even though it is often associated with illness, it can also appear on healthy kittens. As long as the mother and kittens appear to be healthy in every other way, I wouldn't worry about them, even if it does turn out to be fever coat... but I do think smoke color is more likely, in your case.
Thank you it seems like there is so much too it than a simply Google search. I did look at many threads on here too but I guess only time will truely tell. She is definitely my favourite (I haven't told her:lol:) due to her calm loving personality. I mean she just loves being stroked and loved!

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This little girl had her first taste if kitten food today! She has always been the smallest and still is so ones surprised to see her eating so young!