Is pellets safe for cats

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i currently use clay clumping litter, mainly store brands of petsmart and target). im thinking about using pellets cause i hate how clay litter tracks. but im reading its not always safe. looking into the one that sells at the tractor supply store. opinions?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i currently use clay clumping litter, mainly store brands of petsmart and target). im thinking about using pellets cause i hate how clay litter tracks. but im reading its not always safe. looking into the one that sells at the tractor supply store. opinions?
I used them a long time ago, the brand TSC had said "kiln dried", which IIRC is what you want. My cats liked them just fine, but I switched back to clumping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used them a long time ago, the brand TSC had said "kiln dried", which IIRC is what you want. My cats liked them just fine, but I switched back to clumping.
did you not like the pellets?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've not used pellets for my boy before and clumping Bentonite Clay litter was used from the very first day my boy came home and was using it for about six years and I decided to change his litter to Tofu Cat Litter just recently.

You may want to check out this thread on the transition from Bentonite Clay litter to Tofu Clay litter :- a-documentation-on-the-transition-from-clay-litter-to-tofu-cat-litter-for-my-boy.451046

This is just another option for your cat.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
did you not like the pellets?
I didn't mind them, but it seemed like I was dumping the boxes out much more often because the pellets turn to sawdust once wet. With 7 cats, it got to be a bit of a pain! If I had one or two, I'd probably spend the time sifting the sawdust out vs. dumping the box. (The boxes for the cats at work are XL rubbermade totes, and are very heavy when full of litter.)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I switched to pine pellets 2 or 3 years ago (I can't remember), and haven't had any issues, my vet also uses pellet litter in the clinic. I'm not sure which one you are considering getting, but both the wood pellet cat litter (Feline Pine) and the horse bedding (Equine Fresh) which is much cheaper, are considered safe. If you mean the stove pellets there seems to be more debate, but you just want to make sure they are kiln dried and actually say they are safe for animal use on the bag, some say "for pellet stove use only".

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't mind them, but it seemed like I was dumping the boxes out much more often because the pellets turn to sawdust once wet. With 7 cats, it got to be a bit of a pain! If I had one or two, I'd probably spend the time sifting the sawdust out vs. dumping the box. (The boxes for the cats at work are XL rubbermade totes, and are very heavy when full of litter.)
i have 2 cats.i currently use a 18 gallon storage box with a litter pan from the dollar tree inside it. i replace the pan once a month. trying to figure out the best way to do this with the pellets without spending so much and easy to do my deep cleanings

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i have 2 cats.i currently use a 18 gallon storage box with a litter pan from the dollar tree inside it. i replace the pan once a month. trying to figure out the best way to do this with the pellets without spending so much and easy to do my deep cleanings
IDK if there would be something you could find that would act as a sifter so you could dump the box, sift the sawdust out, and put the pellets back in the box. It seems there should be some invention for that!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IDK if there would be something you could find that would act as a sifter so you could dump the box, sift the sawdust out, and put the pellets back in the box. It seems there should be some invention for that!
What I use is a small sifting litter box https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61LTIPI8FEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg , I scoop the pellets out of the big bins I use for the litter boxes and sift through the small litter pan then I can toss sawdust and put the pellets back in the box.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! There are other brands too. I use the Moderna even though the pellets experiment was a failure, lol. If you google “sift litter box” you’ll get options. Arm and Hammer make one, too.
I think they're being sarcastic...