Is Nighttime Equivalent To A Cat's Daytime?

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EDIT: I don't think that title makes sense... Sorry...

Okay, so when we (humans) want to go to sleep, we turn off lights. We do this for our babies and our children too. We turn off the lights, and the darkness helps lull us into sleep.

Is it totally the opposite for cats? After an extensive nighttime play session trying to wear our kitten out, hubby and I are usually tired and ready to sleep, and after the kitten eats, she usually looks like she's ready to sleep too. So, we turn off the lights.... and suddenly, it seems like she gets a burst of energy from the darkness!

I keep thinking she'll outgrow it, but I wonder if keeping a light on will help make her more calm?

:cutecat:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some big wild cats are nocturnal but house cats aren't. House cats are crepuscular meaning that they hunt at dusk and dawn, so a lot of cats will have crazy hyper spells in the early evening and early morning.

I have heard that you can try to "trick" cats into when dawn and dusk is by playing with the lights, but I'm not really sure how that works or if it's worth it.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Cats will learn the routine when it should be quiet time so you can sleep. Ignore all activities at the "Quiet time" hours. play with them LOTS right before bedtime to tire them out.

my cats now sleep soundly with me at night and is more active during the day. there's occasions they'll get the night crazies, but for the most part, they snuggle with me all night.

sappig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are most active during dusk and dawn, so it depends on what time you go to bed ;) My cat follows my routine. What I did when he was still a kitten, was turn off the light at night and completely ignore him when I "sleep" (laying down, eyes closed). I really recommend it, as he knows I will only respond when I am "awake". He will be super chill and groom himself on my bed till I get up. Then he'll start meowing like mad for breakfast :lol:.