Is my pregnant cat nesting?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cheetos is experiencing pre-labor or early labor. It's good you are home today to watch her.

Is she still wanting to interact with the kitten? Kitten should not be going outside. What did the vet use for the fleas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no the porch here is closed off, don't worry. It doesn't count as outside. We just call it a porch because it has a view and it's not exactly a room.

And yes, she is freaking out every time she sees the kitten or hears her. She keeps going to the room where we're keeping the kitten. We can't let her near the kitten because last time we did, she bit half her face and tried carrying her with it. She's begging us to let her have her, though. Could she think she's hers? Yesterday she wouldn't go near her but she's been acting like this ever since she went into labor. Other than the small bloody string that came out from her anus there has been no discharge. Her vulva looks open though (if that makes any sense) and she keeps leading me to a spot, sitting down in it and asking me to pet her. I don't think she intends on using her nesting box. My mom said Cheetos acts weirder whenever she sees me.

I honestly have no idea what he used, it looked like some sort of gel he used on her neck.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's very distressed, calling out to the kitten. I don't know what to do for her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Due to labor, she now thinks the kitten is hers. Her maternal instincts have kicked in.

Can you bring the kitten to her so she does not carry it? Perhaps having the kitten near her will calm her. Sit with them both if you can.

If her vulva is open she is certainly in labor.

Have you noticed fleas dying on the kitten?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever she's near her she calls out for her to follow her, and when the kitten doesn't respond and follow she gets angry and distressed. Or because she's inexperienced she tries to carry her the wrong way and almost hurts her.

She's settled into her nesting spot now. Breathing heavily, no contractions that I can see. She's miserable. I can see brown discharge and I think I saw pink discharge but I'm not sure, she didn't let me see long enough.

I haven't had time to look at the kitten's fleas yet, Cheetos is not letting me leave her side. )::

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the scariest thing. I hope no kitten is stillborn or dies during birth. I'm inexperienced and scared I'll screw something up.

She's lying down with her eyes closed, purring. Is it normal for her to try to sleep right now?

More discharge. She's breathing even more heavily now. Why is birth so scary [emoji]128534[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to stay calm. She is purring through the pain. You may not see the contractions, but she's having them. They sound strong. She's just trying to get through it. She's in a lot of pain. The pinkish and brownish discharge are normal. She will likely have her kittens sometime today or tonight. Glad you are there to comfort her!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to stay calm. She is purring through the pain. You may not see the contractions, but she's having them. They sound strong. She's just trying to get through it. She's in a lot of pain. The pinkish and brownish discharge are normal. She will likely have her kittens sometime today or tonight. Glad you are there to comfort her!
Cats have been giving birth for thousands of years.  Sometimes there are problems, but not very often.  Instinct will kick in and she'll know what to do.  Just stay calm because she will pick up on your mood and get more stressed out.  :)

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs:

You have been doing a great job! You have a very experienced advisor with sarthur2 and a lot of support from TCS community!

Sending mega vibes for all :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Second obe still has his umbilical cord inside her 30 mins now. Do I do anything I'm so worried

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she bitten off the cord now? Is it still just 2 kittens?

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No she hasn't. Yes the second one is still stuck. I'm freaking out

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't freak out. It will only stress out mama cat. Get a piece of thread, yarn, or unwaxed dental floss and tie it around the cord about an inch from the kitten's belly and pinch off the the cord nehind the knot (on the side closest to mom).

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did that. But the placenta hasn't come out yet and I don't think she's secreting any milk??

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the kitten isn't attached anymore then she should be fine. It may have come out without you noticing. Don't worry about the milk.