Is My Kitty Happy?

Skipperoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just recently welcomed two kittens to my household. They're brother and sister and are 8 weeek old. Scary Jeff (my 4yo named him) purrs like an engine when his petted and is very vocal at feeding time. However Hattie seems to like being petted but she never purrs and only squeaks on occasion. Is she unhappy or just a quiet kitty?
A friend suggested that maybe Jeff is doing all the talking for her.
Hattie is on the right and Jeff is on the left
IMG_20180420_133422.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat just squeaks when she talks too, kind of like a meep meep. But she's a former feral. Where did you get your kittens? Cute kittens by the way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skipperoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat just squeaks when she talks too, kind of like a meep meep. But she's a former feral. Where did you get your kittens? Cute kittens by the way!
I got them from a friend. Their mother and father are both very vocal too

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say that my Maine Coon purrs like there's no tomorrow but I can't remember ever hearing my Siberian purr.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Maggie is a Siberian. She looks like one, but she came from the woods, so I don't know...

Johnriii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got sisters and they were both very quiet up until about two months ago, now they vocalize when it's time for food, and especially when I get home from work, which is really different than cats in general. It seems as if cats develop at different junctures, depending on many factors. I thought I really understood cats until I got these two 8 months ago!

Skipperoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you guys. You've really reassured me
It's just something I've personally never come across before. I've just discovered Hattie, while not purring or meowing, gets my attention by perching on my shoulder. I wonder if that's another reason for being quiet. Why meow when you can just launch yourself at your hooman? Lol

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A warm welcome to TCS! :wave3: Glad you joined the forum along with Jeff and Hattie who are both adorable kittens. Regarding Hattie's soft squeaks I thought this Article about the silent meow might be helpful: The Silent Meow
Please feel free to check out some of the other Articles and resources on the forum.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwww...those two are adorable! Congrats on your new kitties. I wouldn't worry too much if she feels comfortable enough to perch on your shoulder. My first kitty, Gwen, was a purr machine, but Juniper is a quiet and reluctant purr-er, even when she's getting chin scratches, which are her favorite.

Your friend may well be right about her letting her brother 'talk' for her, too.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the boards! They are so cute!

I assume they have been to th vet and gotten his ok, in which case I would say they are fine. I went from a cat who’s purr you could hear in the other room to one who’s purr was so soft you have to put your ear close by to hear. I was convinced for the longest time I was doing something wrong. In the end though she is happy just like I bet your Hattie is ❤. Don’t hesitate to ask any other questions if you come across some, even if they seem silly to you. Everyone here is very friendly and loves to help.

Skipperoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for my absence, I had to go away for a few days but upon my return I received an almighty purr from Hattie! She hasn't left me alone since I got back and any attempt from Jeff for fuss results in an attack. (We had a secret snuggle while she was eating). I actually love her squeaks and Jeff can chat for England so that shows me they're happy.

I either need to stop getting dark cats or invest in lighter flooring... They blend in too easily lol.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat didn't say a word (so to speak) until six months old. The vet said not to worry, that she just hadn't found her voice yet. She would give meows, but completely silent. She was probably meowing at a high pitch, out of human hearing range, and learned to bring her voice down. She's quite chatty now, at almost five.